Prospect Info: With the 9th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Vitali Kravtsov

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kravtsov gave an interview to championat.com site.
Кравцов: хотели забрать в СКА, но руководство «Трактора» меня защитило
Explained why he was able to do better in last year’s playoffs but not so much in Sochi. All about familiarity, comfort level and confidence. Avoided questions about next season in such a way that it’s clear he’s fully expecting to come over to NA after this season. He’s also very excited about his new line at Traktor with Stoa and Glinkin.

BTW, for what it’s worth the same site had a quick article that listed 11 new potential KHL “super-lines” this season and Glinkin-Stoa-Kravtsov was mentioned among them. A lot of names on this list should be very familiar.
11 новых суперзвеньев, которые «порвут» КХЛ. И ни одного из ЦСКА

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What's actually the "a lot of work" he needs to do? As far as I can tell it's just this feeling of uncertainty since he didn't play a ton during the regular season, didn't put up a lot of points, and then exploded in the playoffs. So we have a small sample size of great success and a larger body of "eh" results but supposedly low icetime, so...it's harder to tell where he is in his development.

I guess ultimately it's just the question of "can he take that playoff success and continue forward with it and become a go to forward for his team this year, and then come over next year and continue to improve and show he's a top prospect" which in some ways is a standard set of questions for a young prospect playing in a pro league overseas

I would say the two biggest things are consistency and asserting himself.

There are games where’s he’s really locked in and games where you need to check to check to see if he dressed.

As for asserting himself, see Chytil coming out of his draft year. The biggest difference between his play in 2017-2018, as compared to the year prior, was his assertiveness in controlling the play.

Kravtsov needs to do both of those more often. He’s incredibly skilled, but he’s also a player who struggles when that skill doesn’t necessarily back other teams up and create room.

Reactions: Cag29

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sure, sometimes people are right, sometimes people are wrong.

But in the first 3 years it's really difficult to tell. What annoys me is that certain people talk about prospects sometimes as if they are correct each year. It's the same song each year, but recently these songs come with a chorus of "we should have traded up uhu uhu"
It may be difficult to tell, but there are some indicators that are better than others. McLRath pick, Jessiman pick....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would say the two biggest things are consistency and asserting himself.

There are games where’s he’s really locked in and games where you need to check to check to see if he dressed.

As for asserting himself, see Chytil coming out of his draft year. The biggest difference between his play in 2017-2018, as compared to the year prior, was his assertiveness in controlling the play.

Kravtsov needs to do both of those more often. He’s incredibly skilled, but he’s also a player who struggles when that skill doesn’t necessarily back other teams up and create room.

Nice. I think for a prospect that's not a top 5 type of selection, what you're describing is pretty normal. Hopefully his coach this year will give him the icetime and responsibility to help develop that. The thing with Chytil is that they seemed to give him the room to play that confident game and not make him second guess himself all the time defensively etc

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nice. I think for a prospect that's not a top 5 type of selection, what you're describing is pretty normal. Hopefully his coach this year will give him the icetime and responsibility to help develop that. The thing with Chytil is that they seemed to give him the room to play that confident game and not make him second guess himself all the time defensively etc

Kravtsov, along with Denisenko, was someone I felt were among the most skilled offensive forwards in the draft --- bar none.

The risk was, and still is, some of the holes in the game. Not saying the risk wasn't worth it, merely saying that I'm not keen to ignore it either.

I'm hoping to help paint a more balanced picture of Kravtsov.

Kind of like I've never believed Andersson is a first line center, but still think he's a hell of a prospect.

Balance helps us from getting too down, or too up on these kids and keeps expectations somewhat reasonable.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Kravtsov, along with Denisenko, was someone I felt were among the most skilled offensive forwards in the draft --- bar none.

The risk was, and still is, some of the holes in the game. Not saying the risk wasn't worth it, merely saying that I'm not keen to ignore it either.

I'm hoping to help paint a more balanced picture of Kravtsov.

Kind of like I've never believed Andersson is a first line center, but still think he's a hell of a prospect.

Balance helps us from getting too down, or too up on these kids and keeps expectations somewhat reasonable.

We're likely going to suck this year, nothing wrong with having out of whack expectations and something to look forward to.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not sure I recognize the description of Kravtsov.

He is one of the more mature kids in the entire draft last season. He did a very solid job in the KHL last season on a shift by shift basis. He had a forechecking/energy role and that fits him perfectly due to the jets he have. To put it like this, a Carl Hagelin is tremendously consistent. Not because he was born with something amazing between his ears, because he has job description that its possible to perform very consistently. Skate all you can. They are not comparable as players, but Kravtsov's game is about skating, skating and then skating some more.

We should have realistic expectations on him for sure though. But I have zero concerns about him asserting himself or being consistent enough -- not sure where that is coming from? You do however not score 60+ pts in the NHL by being talented and consistent, you do so by running things. Being the driver, controlling the pace, setting things up and so forth. How good can Kravtsov be on a power play, that is a legit concern for sure. Like of course he can become solid there. But can he become a player that is a top 2-3 goto player on a good PP in the NHL? Which role would he have? We all know that he can let go of the puck really fast and has a filthy wrister. But can he develop his shot more? Become someone that is a consistent thread form distance?

Then you have issues with adjusting to the NA game. It took Kuz really long. And how can Kravtsov get a long cutting across the ice in the NHL, he is a pretty big target. Don't want to see him dropped too often.

But I am not quite sure that I recognize that consistency is a big issue for him. He isn't really that super talented type who struggles to put it together and be consistent. He plays very close to the level he is capable of playing regulary.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Literately can’t give this kid a half second alone in the slot

His puck control is and ability to pick a spot is top-notch.

His size gives him the ability to almost use his body as a spring for the shot. Ironically enough his form often reminds me of Petr Nedved at the same age. He would get off shots that had a very similar feel to them.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I loved that he identified a guy closing in and his position having to open up and get a shot off which closed the space for the defender to make the play. He didn't try to make the perfect shot he went for the best shot and relied upon his skill. I like smarts and confidence out of young guys like that.

Reactions: mrmovies779

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If this kid ever puts it all together,the sky is the limit for him.He can skate,has size,great shot,knows what to do with the puck on his stick and is responsible defensively.Just a matter of meshing it all together and being consistent.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Chelyabinsk Arena is full at a preseason game... Chelyabinsk is probably the most hockey city in Russia.

Have to give credit to Traktor HC organization too - they do a lot to generate an interest in the club from fans. Just last week they had a festival for fans with live entertainment, food, drinks and all players present as part of the kick-off to the season. Their site is updated daily with news, videos and pics.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If this kid ever puts it all together,the sky is the limit for him.He can skate,has size,great shot,knows what to do with the puck on his stick and is responsible defensively.Just a matter of meshing it all together and being consistent.

The board wanted the homerun swing and that's what the kid is. During the times when it all comes together, it almost looks effortless. Like you said, it's a matter of putting it all together as consistently as possible, responding well when other teams take away his time and space, and staying with a play even if it initially looks like there's nothing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->