Prospect Info: With the 9th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Vitali Kravtsov

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's simple:
  1. Kravstov plays in the KHL until Traktor is eliminated in the playoffs or the season ends.
  2. Comes over to NA
  3. Signs ELC that starts in 2019-2020
  4. Sign ATO to play with Hartford (assuming there are any games left to be played)
  5. ???
  6. Profit

This would be the most ideal. Along with him playing for Russia in the WC's at the end of the year as well as the WJC around X-mas

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There’s a deadline at some point in the year to sign your ELC and be eligible to get the 9 game slide, Middlestadt burned a year off his ELC when he left college to play a few games last year

Edit: I’m not sure when the deadline is, but that’s how I understand it

I thought it was Feb 1st, but it could be December 1st to tie in with the RFA deadline. But if the ELC is signed after the KHL season, he burns off a year if he comes over. Philly did this with Vecchione. Signed him to a 1-year ELC, played him, he became RFA and then signed a 2nd deal. This was part of the talks with Vecchione, earning more money in the AHL (1-way deal), that way rather than his ELC starting the following season.

He can sign an ATO in Hartford though like Lindgren did, and Ronning before.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought it was Feb 1st, but it could be December 1st to tie in with the RFA deadline. But if the ELC is signed after the KHL season, he burns off a year if he comes over. Philly did this with Vecchione. Signed him to a 1-year ELC, played him, he became RFA and then signed a 2nd deal. This was part of the talks with Vecchione, earning more money in the AHL (1-way deal), that way rather than his ELC starting the following season.

He can sign an ATO in Hartford though like Lindgren did, and Ronning before.

Quoting myself to add some info:

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

This applies to Kravtsov. If he signs an entry level contact after the KHL season is over (in 2019), he will be 19 on September 15 of the first year (calendar year) of his contract, and turns 20 in December 2019.

My bad. It wasn't a "specific date" but more to do with the age.

The same rule that applied to Mittelstadt. Sorry for bringing Vecchione into the conversation. If Kravtsov was a January 2000 birthday, he would slide.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Article Nine-Entry Level Compensation.

Article 9.1

(d) (i)
In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

My bad.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Traktor camp opens up tomorrow and will have two days for physical exams to kick it off.

7/15 - 7-19 the camp will stay in Chelyabinsk and then will continue in Finland from 7/20 to 8/3 where they will play 3 games: 7/26 vs Salavat, 7/29 vs Neft and 8/3 vs Severstal.

8/4 the camp goes back to Chelyabinsk (through 8/31) and during this time Traktor will play in 2 pre-season tournaments.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
And that would be the absolute dumbest thing they can do with Kravtsov. I am surprised this is an article on NHL.com

I expect this from Larry

Over the top a bit?

"He expects to be released from his KHL contract immediately after Traktor Chelyabinsk plays its final game, which could be as early as Feb. 22."

I'm not sure what the latest date Chelyabinsk could play its final game is...but if it's a few weeks or a month after that and Kravtsov had a really strong year would it really be "the absolute dumbest thing they can do with Kravtsov" if they gave him a cup of coffee for a half dozen meaningless games at the end of the NHL season?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Over the top a bit?

"He expects to be released from his KHL contract immediately after Traktor Chelyabinsk plays its final game, which could be as early as Feb. 22."

I'm not sure what the latest date Chelyabinsk could play its final game is...but if it's a few weeks or a month after that and Kravtsov had a really strong year would it really be "the absolute dumbest thing they can do with Kravtsov" if they gave him a cup of coffee for a half dozen meaningless games at the end of the NHL season?

Yes, because it means it burns a year off his ELC. The "fewer than 10 games" rule to slide doesn't apply to Kravtsov because he will sign his ELC in the calendar year where he turns 20.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sure, for the player. It brings him closer to UFA years

For the team too. The quicker you get a player to group II, the more likely you are to get him on a long-term deal that turns into a huge steal.

Let’s say they burn his first year off his contract this season. That means he would be group II in ‘21. Let’s say his career arc goes (we are really talking best case scenario):

19-20: 40 points
20-21: 50 points
21-22: 65 points
22-23: 75 points

When would you rather him be a group II, the ‘21 offseason or the ‘22 offseason, so long as you can lock him up long term in either year? The ‘21 offseason gets him under contract for cheaper.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For the team too. The quicker you get a player to group II, the more likely you are to get him on a long-term deal that turns into a huge steal.

Let’s say they burn his first year off his contract this season. That means he would be group II in ‘21. Let’s say his career arc goes (we are really talking best case scenario):

19-20: 40 points
20-21: 50 points
21-22: 65 points
22-23: 75 points

When would you rather him be a group II, the ‘21 offseason or the ‘22 offseason, so long as you can lock him up long term in either year? The ‘21 offseason gets him under contract for cheaper.

That's an awful lot of speculating and what ifs. I just don't see the purpose in burning off a year for a 19-year old player in his D+1 season. Vecchione used it as leverage in the negotiations with Philly, but he was 25 and a free agent.

Did Buffalo do the right thing by signing Mittelstadt to his ELC this calendar year, making him RFA in 2020? Or did we do the right thing by signing Lias and Chytil to their ELC in their 18/19 calendar year and having their contracts slide?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's an awful lot of speculating and what ifs. I just don't see the purpose in burning off a year for a 19-year old player in his D+1 season. Vecchione used it as leverage in the negotiations with Philly, but he was 25 and a free agent.

Did Buffalo do the right thing by signing Mittelstadt to his ELC this calendar year, making him RFA in 2020? Or did we do the right thing by signing Lias and Chytil to their ELC in their 18/19 calendar year and having their contracts slide?
It is a lot of speculation, but it's still a very valid point. That comes up to our scouting and coaching to evaluate how they think these players will fit in years down the road. It is important to remember the financial aspect of hockey, and having productive, cheap, long-term assets is how you get by. Cheap depth, long-term commitments to your core players, and leaving room for financial breathing is what's important.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
They'll probably burn a year if he comes over in March.

I personally don't have an issue with it. There's also the chance he just signs an ATO to play with Hartford

It's really not a big deal tbh

Side note: I've never seen more people argue over what to do with a kid than this one. So strange

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
after they held out chytil and anderson for no other reason then to make sure their contracts slid, i don't see any reason why anyone would think they are gonna just burn a year off his contract for no reason

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
after they held out chytil and anderson for no other reason then to make sure their contracts slid, i don't see any reason why anyone would think they are gonna just burn a year off his contract for no reason
Chytil and Lias at that point didn’t really have any leverage. Kravtsov can (but probably won’t) use the KHL as leverage to get the year burned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad