Prospect Info: With the #97 pick, the Wild select (C) Mason Shaw (WHL, Medicine Hat Tigers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Scouting Report

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/05/27/mason-shaw-scouting-report/

Elite Prospects scouting report.

Mason-Shaw.jpg

BIRTHYEAR 1998-11-03
BIRTHPLACE Wainwright, AB, CAN
AGE 18
NATION Canada
POSITION C
SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 175 cm / 5'9"
WEIGHT 82 kg / 181 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Lloydminster MHA
NHL DRAFT 2017 round 4 #97 overall by Minnesota Wild

RANKINGS
Ranked #103 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #132 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #169 by Future Considerations
Ranked #101 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #55 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Seems to be a theme developing with our first 2 picks. We're definitely not getting hung up on size.

Mason Shaw may be the most peculiar player in the entire 2o17 draft class. He is simultaneously three things among the crop of first-time draft eligible players: he’s one of the oldest, one of the smallest, and one of the most offensively talented players in his draft class. The diminutive forward has progressed quite a bit during his time in the Western Hockey League and has quietly emerged as one of the best pure offensive players in Western Canada.

Mason Shaw – 2017 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's the mix that's important. Having a bunch of sub 5'10" players who's skill doesn't translate to the NHL because they keep getting knocked down by players 4" taller and 40 lbs. heavier isn't the answer either.

Not defending the Kurtis Gabriel pick, but surely there is a middle ground?

Reedy, for instance, is a talented 6'2" RH C who was chosen by SJS at #102, which was lower than expected. He is no Kurtis Gabriel. Very good all round player with skill, size, and plays a position of need.

Last edited:

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
longtime tigers fan.

Shaw has an uncanny ability to make passes through high traffic situations. I would also describe his game as being very mature. His positioning on the ice, as well as knowing when to spend energy and when not too is nhl calibre.

He has a bulldog mentality going for the puck, but sometimes he is almost too laid back when not going for it. He likes to surprise. Often times he grabs the puck and "springs away" whether that is on a give and go threading a pass through traffic, or catching a player with his head down and making a solid hit.

It was very interesting to see when he would go in the draft. His smarts will be their, but his size isn't.
This coming season I would like to see him improve his 1v1 ability as well as be a little more aggressive without the puck.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
longtime tigers fan.

Shaw has an uncanny ability to make passes through high traffic situations. I would also describe his game as being very mature. His positioning on the ice, as well as knowing when to spend energy and when not too is nhl calibre.

He has a bulldog mentality going for the puck, but sometimes he is almost too laid back when not going for it. He likes to surprise. Often times he grabs the puck and "springs away" whether that is on a give and go threading a pass through traffic, or catching a player with his head down and making a solid hit.

It was very interesting to see when he would go in the draft. His smarts will be their, but his size isn't.
This coming season I would like to see him improve his 1v1 ability as well as be a little more aggressive without the puck.

Smarts are as important so that's good to hear.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's the mix that's important. Having a bunch of sub 5'10" players who's skill doesn't translate to the NHL because they keep getting knocked down by players 4" taller and 40 lbs. heavier isn't the answer either.

Not defending the Kurtis Gabriel pick, but surely there is a middle ground?

Reedy, for instance, is a talented 6'2" RH C who was chosen by SJS at #102, which was lower than expected. He is no Kurtis Gabriel. Very good all round player with skill, size, and plays a position of need.

I'd take the chance on better smarts and skills every time. Going for size over skill is why we drafted Tuch instead of Pasta.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Just looking at the highlights (granted, to be taken with a pinch of salt), there's uncanny hockey IQ and vision on display. Those passes are often in high-pressure situations, yet right on the stick. He almost seems like he has a 6th sense of where his teammates are, sometimes confirming it with the quickest of glances.

Sure, he is small. His skating doesn't seem THAT impressive for a small lad either, and I trust reports which say he isn't exactly a powerhouse either. Perimeter player who is small, skilled but not a great shooter? Doesn't sound like a great recipe. But, "smart" isn't a five-letter word. There are different layers of smart. And usually those who succeed in the big leagues on a skill role have to be exceptionally so.

Shooting can be taught. So can skating. Remember Granlund, and how he skated poorly for a small lad? And where he is now, after a few years? Yeah. And I'm not saying Shaw is Granlund in terms of skating. Just an example. Same with mentality.

Really excited with this pick. We have a bunch of good, safe prospects and young players. Taking risks in a draft that is supposedly weaker than average is not a bad thing at all.

MattMcGloin

Apr 18, 2016
Canada
Will definitely be trying to see all the Medicine Hat games when they come through Kamloops.

I am really excited for this pick, seems like a great gamble based on other propects we have/had. Can't wait to see him develop

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The scouting reports sound a lot like they're talking about Pierre-Marc Bouchard. You could just replace the names and change the date on them and I'd fully believe them. Could be a player for us, I just hope he's not as maddening to watch as PMB was, with his complete unwillingness to go to the net.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The scouting reports sound a lot like they're talking about Pierre-Marc Bouchard. You could just replace the names and change the date on them and I'd fully believe them. Could be a player for us, I just hope he's not as maddening to watch as PMB was, with his complete unwillingness to go to the net.

This player is WAY less skilled than PMB. Not even close.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I was also getting a PMB vibe off the scouting report as well. After PMB's, well during more like, I was completely over perimeter players. Still am. If he does shy away from the physical, why the heck is he in the WHL?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I was also getting a PMB vibe off the scouting report as well. After PMB's, well during more like, I was completely over perimeter players. Still am. If he does shy away from the physical, why the heck is he in the WHL?

Agreed... perimeter players are the worst!

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
That was one messed up sentence in my post. I assume you all will get the drift of what I was saying.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This player is WAY less skilled than PMB. Not even close.

It was not a skill comparison, merely style of play. Specifically, skilled, offensive perimeter playmaker. I have to believe that if he were as skilled as PMB he would have been taken in the top 10, like PMB was.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It was not a skill comparison, merely style of play. Specifically, skilled, offensive perimeter playmaker. I have to believe that if he were as skilled as PMB he would have been taken in the top 10, like PMB was.

Size still scares GM's, but at least in the 1st round of this year's draft. It's not like it was swimming in talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->