Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree, they're not more egotistical than anyone else, and I don't want to put words into Wabit's mouth, but I think ego is a factor. It's not that Russian guys have a larger ego, it's just that they're used to being one of the best players on their team, but when they come over, they may just be a middle six player, or even need AHL time to adapt. It's hard for anyone to take a "demotion" like that. You don't even need a big ego to not enjoy such a thing.

That pretty much sums up what I meant.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agree, except for the ego part. Our players aren't more egotistical than anyone else.

But I understand how doing what’s in one’s perceived best interest (given more options to work with) can be come across as egotistical, entitled or spoiled.
Yeah, management in just about any field has a way of casting aspersions on a player's "attitude" if he doesn't do what they want. We saw that with the NYI and Nino, who has been great attitude wise here, despite being marginalized by Yeo for a while.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently Khovanov is doing well. He scored the first goal in their new arena and is sitting at 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points in 18 games played. Good for top 20 in scoring in the Q. However, it might be a bit premature as Sokolov has some difficulty translating to the AHL.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Apparently Khovanov is doing well. He scored the first goal in their new arena and is sitting at 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points in 18 games played. Good for top 20 in scoring in the Q. However, it might be a bit premature as Sokolov has some difficulty translating to the AHL.

I'm not sure what Sokolov has to do with Khovanov at all? Completely different play styles, completely different reasons they fell in the draft, the extent of their "fall" is completely different, different CHL leagues. The only thing they have in common is they are both Russian, even then they are from opposite sides of Russia.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If Khoconut makes it to the NHL, it’ll be because he rises to each level with his IQ. He’s not bad at anything particularly but he looks smart.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just because sokolov has had a slow ahl start has nothing to do with khovanov. am i missing something? we should all be more concerned that nino is ice cold and possibly lost his touch.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm not sure what Sokolov has to do with Khovanov at all? Completely different play styles, completely different reasons they fell in the draft, the extent of their "fall" is completely different, different CHL leagues. The only thing they have in common is they are both Russian, even then they are from opposite sides of Russia.

Just saying even if you do well in the CHL, doesn't mean you'll do well in the AHL.

Sokolov dropped due to conditioning issues. Khovanov was due to illness, and also conditioning from what I recall.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Blurb from Pronman's article on the Canada-Russia series:

Alexander Khovanov, C, Russia Selects (Minnesota): I saw Khovanov live a few times this season at Wild camp and in the QMJHL, and was underwhelmed, but he looked much different in this series. He had a jump in his step I haven’t seen before, to couple with his typical high skill level and great vision. He was consistently dangerous for Russia. I also see mild improvements in his skating that could be critical for his prospect stock.

Sounds like he's trending in the right direction after missing all that time last year. Currently tied for 13th in the QMJHL for points; tied for 8th in goals.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just saying even if you do well in the CHL, doesn't mean you'll do well in the AHL.

Sokolov dropped due to conditioning issues. Khovanov was due to illness, and also conditioning from what I recall.

Khovanov's conditioning issues were due to his illness. He had hepatitis if I'm recalling that correctly, which prevented him from being able to be properly conditioned.

Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wasn’t he a projected 1st rounder before he got mono?
He was. His skating was and probably still is the biggest question mark with him, which is why Pronman's comments about seeing improvements and a "jump in his step" at the Canada-Russia series were encouraging.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wasn’t he a projected 1st rounder before he got mono?

He was definitely projected higher than we picked him.

In the 2017 CHL import draft he was taken 2nd after Svechnikov. He got Hepatitis in the summer before his first season though and didn’t start til real late. This is also where the concerns for his conditioning came from. He couldn’t train while he was out, so of course he wasn’t conditioned.

By all accounts he’s a first round talent, and assuming he doesn’t get Hepatitis again, conditioning shouldn’t be an issue.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was. His skating was and probably still is the biggest question mark with him, which is why Pronman's comments about seeing improvements and a "jump in his step" at the Canada-Russia series were encouraging.
It really is encouraging to hear that. I hope he makes the Russian team so we can all see him firsthand at the WJC.
He was definitely projected higher than we picked him.

In the 2017 CHL import draft he was taken 2nd after Svechnikov. He got Hepatitis in the summer before his first season though and didn’t start til real late. This is also where the concerns for his conditioning came from. He couldn’t train while he was out, so of course he wasn’t conditioned.

By all accounts he’s a first round talent, and assuming he doesn’t get Hepatitis again, conditioning shouldn’t be an issue.
Oh, it was hepatitis! For some reason I thought it was mono...

Looking forward to watching this kid develop. Could be an absolute steal along with McBain.

Reactions: DumbaTrain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad