Player Discussion Lukas Dostal

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dostal is in tough situation. But if he says healthy he may be the goalie of the future. I expect him being in the AHL for 2 years. An option I think about would be 1 year in SHL if someone has interest, since it's a better league.

He clearly lacks the ideal size otherwise he would be considered as a future star goalie everywhere.

Wut? Dostal is 6'1 and the average NHL goalie is 6'2. Is that clearly lacking ideal size? Regardless, Khudobin is 5'11 and is a top-5 goalie this past season, but also has put a high save % in several seasons. I think the Ducks' org knows it has a future star goalie and other teams are also looking at Dostal too if they know the Ducks are set with Gibby.

To me, Dostal is vying for the top prospect spot in the Ducks' organization with Zegras.

Reactions: Paul4587

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Dostal is 6'1 and the average NHL goalie is 6'2.

It's not just how tall he he is. He is a skinny guy as well. And yes I'm super high on him as well.

I just said he lacks ideal size, which is obviously above average.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
2 time cup winner Quick is only 6'1 as well.
Of course having a defensive minded coach and that Kings defense led by Doughty certainly helped during those cup runs.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
2 time cup winner Quick is only 6'1 as well.
Of course having a defensive minded coach and that Kings defense led by Doughty certainly helped during those cup runs.
All cup winning goalies can be commented with:''Of course, having... and ... helped during those cup runs''.

I get the size ''concerns'', but would also like to point out that a guy named Jordan Binnington at 26 years old is 6`1 and 174.
Our guy Lukas at 19 is 6`1 and 168

Eliteprospects even gives Lukas 1 cm advantage. But I`m pretty sure that European teams give(?) their measurements in cm and it is translated to ft, whereas NA teams have measurements in ft and it is automatically translated to a fixed cm, therefore Binnington could be anywhere from 185-188cm. All players from NA leagues that are 6`1 has been automatically assigned those 185cm.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Well I hope he stays in Finland for one more season at least since I'm expecting to have a good opportunity to attend games in the coming season, whenever that may begin, but still.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wut? Dostal is 6'1 and the average NHL goalie is 6'2. Is that clearly lacking ideal size? Regardless, Khudobin is 5'11 and is a top-5 goalie this past season, but also has put a high save % in several seasons. I think the Ducks' org knows it has a future star goalie and other teams are also looking at Dostal too if they know the Ducks are set with Gibby.

To me, Dostal is vying for the top prospect spot in the Ducks' organization with Zegras.

It should go without saying that being below average size is less than ideal.

Otherwise you're saying being below average size is ideal, and that doesn't make any sense.

In a perfect world, Dostal would be a bit bigger. That doesn't mean he isn't still a great prospect.
You're reacting as though someone is saying he's too small, hasn't been said.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I doubt anyone can argue Dostal couldn`t use a bit more size, but if he had it, we`d probably not get him with that pick.

In his draft year he played 20 games in Czech-2 league with a .921% in 20 games against grown men as a 17 year old goalie. I assume he was even smaller then and if he was bigger he would be snatched earlier.
Size is only one component of a goallies tool and skill set. He is probably more flexible as some taller ones and is better at some things. The bottom line is - yeah, ideally he would be taller and bigger but in the last decade and heck - last couple of years prove that 6`1 goalie can be a very successful one.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Masch78 wrote:
Dostal is in tough situation. But if he says healthy he may be the goalie of the future. I expect him being in the AHL for 2 years. An option I think about would be 1 year in SHL if someone has interest, since it's a better league.

He clearly lacks the ideal size otherwise he would be considered as a future star goalie everywhere.

Huesy_79, what part of "He [Dostal] clearly lacks the ideal size..." did you not comprehend that "someone is saying he's too small"?

As for other aspect of your response...

It should go without saying that being below average size is less than ideal.

Otherwise you're saying being below average size is ideal, and that doesn't make any sense.

In a perfect world, Dostal would be a bit bigger. That doesn't mean he isn't still a great prospect.

Interesting. I thought talent weighed far more heavily that ideal metrics. Sure, it would be great if prospects were all ideal sizes. Nick Ritchie was the 10th overall selection at 6'2 and 226 pounds that fits your ideal NHL player, but it's a unanimous consensus that seventh rounder, 5'11, and 186 pounds of Ondrej Kase brought more to the table.

The fact that you stand upon an "ideal metric" as opposed to finding "ideal talent" is very frightening as well as makes worse sense because what you're telling me is that Eriksson Ek has the above ideal height of a goal tender and should be rated higher than Dostal. Are you selling that Eriksson Ek is than better goal tender than Dostal because Eriksson Ek is above ideal height for a goal tender and Dostal is one-inch below the ideal height?

You're acting like "ideal metrics" are the end all, be all for arguments instead of "ideal talent".

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Masch78 wrote:

Huesy_79, what part of "He [Dostal] clearly lacks the ideal size..." did you not comprehend that "someone is saying he's too small"?

Interesting. I thought talent weighed far more heavily that ideal metrics. Sure, it would be great if prospects were all ideal sizes. Nick Ritchie was the 10th overall selection at 6'2 and 226 pounds that fits your ideal NHL player, but it's a unanimous consensus that seventh rounder, 5'11, and 186 pounds of Ondrej Kase brought more to the table.

The fact that you stand upon an "ideal metric" as opposed to finding "ideal talent" is very frightening as well as makes worse sense because what you're telling me is that Eriksson Ek has the above ideal height of a goal tender and should be rated higher than Dostal. Are you selling that Eriksson Ek is than better goal tender than Dostal because Eriksson Ek is above ideal height for a goal tender and Dostal is one-inch below the ideal height?

You're acting like "ideal metrics" are the end all, be all for arguments instead of "ideal talent".

Lol I don't even know what to do with this mess.

No one has said he's too small or that smaller goalies can't and haven't flourished in the league. You are taking the comment about lacking ideal size as way more of a slight than it needs to be. Ideally he would be a bit bigger - it shouldn't be news that larger goalies have become the norm. Size is definitely a factor people look at when scouting goalies, under a certain size they simply are not given a chance. However you are hilariously overreacting as though someone has stated that size is all that matters and no one said anything remotely close to that.

It's great that you chose to make the most foolish part bright purple, so those who usually scroll past your essays won't miss it.

Dostal is 6'1. If everything else (talent/athleticism, performance etc) remained the exact same, but he was 6'3 - he would be more highly regarded as a prospect. That's all anyone has said and it should not have been enough to set you off on a purple trainwreck.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Masch78 wrote:

I don't get what you are going on about. He just said he isn't the ideal size. Not that he was not a viable size.

He isnt the ideal size. That doesn't mean it will be a hindrance. You can teach length. He could be a complete stud but him at 6'4 with the same skillet would probably be better then him at 6'1. How is that even arguable?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
LOL, to be honest, I'm highly surprised the way this discussion turned out.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lol I don't even know what to do with this mess.

No one has said he's too small or that smaller goalies can't and haven't flourished in the league. You are taking the comment about lacking ideal size as way more of a slight than it needs to be. Ideally he would be a bit bigger - it shouldn't be news that larger goalies have become the norm. Size is definitely a factor people look at when scouting goalies, under a certain size they simply are not given a chance. However you are hilariously overreacting as though someone has stated that size is all that matters and no one said anything remotely close to that.

It's great that you chose to make the most foolish part bright purple, so those who usually scroll past your essays won't miss it.

Dostal is 6'1. If everything else (talent/athleticism, performance etc) remained the exact same, but he was 6'3 - he would be more highly regarded as a prospect. That's all anyone has said and it should not have been enough to set you off on a purple trainwreck.

Olle Eriksson Ek is 6'3. He was drafted in the 5th round of the 2017 NHL draft.

Lukas Dostal is 6'1. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2018 NHL draft.

What in Sam Hills does height have to do when you're the more talented player? If height was the end all, be all then wouldn't Eriksson Ek have been drafted in the 2nd round? Apparently, Dostal IS THE MORE HIGHLY REGARDED PROSPECT between him and Eriksson Ek.

SMH at damned people missing the forest from the trees.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

What in Sam Hills does height have to do when you're the more talented player? If height was the end all, be all then wouldn't Eriksson Ek have been drafted in the 2nd round? Apparently, Dostal IS THE MORE HIGHLY REGARDED PROSPECT between him and Eriksson Ek.

All of this because you don't know what "less than ideal" means.

Reactions: Trojans86 and Kalv

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
All of this because you don't know what "less than ideal" means.
Don’t bother. For a guy who constantly tells people their posts are stupid or illogical, or that they lack reading comprehension, it’s pretty ironic tbh.

To keep it on topic, Dostal does look to be the real deal. Ideally, yes wish he was a little taller but he looks to have the talent to make the most of his size due to his outstanding athleticism. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next season.

Reactions: Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

I think it's pretty simple, the taller you are the more net your body covers. BTW, I really like Dostal and am excited to see him continue to develop.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I really like Dostal but he does look small in net and it’s not unreasonable to think with additional size he would be an even better prospect.

Reactions: Masch78

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Do you even read the responses?

GermanRocket7

Played silly not to draft Fantilli
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
I wonder how Dostal's athleticism might translate to his durability in the NHL. Gibson, while an incredibly talented goalie who literally saved RC's job for two years in a row with Vezina-level goaltending, has a history of getting injured every now and then. If Dostal can use his superior physicality and athleticism to his advantage, I could well see him giving Gibby a run for the #1 spot in net from 2022 or even 2021 on.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wonder how Dostal's athleticism might translate to his durability in the NHL. Gibson, while an incredibly talented goalie who literally saved RC's job for two years in a row with Vezina-level goaltending, has a history of getting injured every now and then. If Dostal can use his superior physicality and athleticism to his advantage, I could well see him giving Gibby a run for the #1 spot in net from 2022 or even 2021 on.
Binnington, for example doesn`t seem to have ongoing injury issues.
I`m not too great on goalies, but wouldn`t Binner be a good comparable for Dostal as far as playing style, body size and skillsets goes? They both seem to read the game well and are really quick, with Binner maybe a bit more aggressive for now.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Guest here.

So,..2 games this season so far,
2 wins | 65/67 | .970 SV% | 1.00 GAA
I truly believe he is one of the best goalie prospects out there.
Some look at his last WJC and say - he had bad numbers there. Forgetting their team caught a flu and Dostal himself lost 10 lb in a couple of days. Yet, as an 18 year old in WJC he posted a 1.25 GAA and .957% performance, Combine it with his Liiga performances for the past 3 years - he is a gamer. Will surprise a lot of people, but probably not that much those who have followed him for a while.
He will need some adjustment on NA ice, so likely we are looking at 21/22 season when he will start to make an impact in the NHL.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
He should come to play in the AHL/NHL after his Liiga season.

Cant believe people want Askarov when we have Dostal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->