Prospect Info: With the #81 pick, the Wild select RW Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So Clutter scores 20-30 points in the NHL without Tavares, yet he wouldn't have had 20-30 in the CHL if he didn't have Tavares?

You realize just how far you're reaching right now?
Actually my point is that Clutterbuck would have been a 30 point CHL player (over ~60 game not 82 like you imply) without Tavares. So, exactly what you said I wasn't saying.

No Tavares and no top line, body-guard duty. Clutterbuck probably ends up topping out as a CHL 2nd line winger with around 0.5 PPG.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Oshawa had some good players when Tavares was there..

Why are we comparing Gabriel too Clutter ?

third round picks and their utility as NHL regulars. Clutter is being held up as an example of what you could get in the third round as a rebuttal to the argument that 3rd round picks statistically aren't likely to make any appreciable difference.

Parker1

Jul 2, 2013
Folks, I feel that I have to chime in on this topic as I see a lot of people slamming an exceptional young man without even seeing him play the game that we all claim to love so much. Let me say this as I have seen Gabe play the game...and more. I will tell you a story about this young man that showed up for an OHL Training Camp several years ago and blew away many of the previous physical testing records...and we've had some pretty fit guys over the years i.e.: Lane McDermid. I was there to watch another prospect conduct the testing and Gabe soon had everyone's attention.
I got to know him over the years and let me tell you, this young man is an absolute machine. If he thinks that there is something he needs to improve on, he'll do it - in spades. I've watched a lot of naturally talented superstars over the years that have the work ethic of a brick - it comes too easy for some and they don't appreciate the effort that you need to put in to succeed in any occupation, much less high level or professional hockey. If Gabe thought that chewing his arm off would improve his game, he'd probably do it (not sure if that would make him a right hand or left hand shot then?? You can't teach this type of internal drive, it's in you - or it isn't...period.
Gabe has fought hard to get to this point and has EARNED it, trust me on this. He is one of those players that you "notice" when he's on the ice. I recall another player, a few years back, that had this same presence on the ice in Owen Sound - his name was Wayne Simmons.
I've seen a couple of comments about Gabe being a "goon", again let me say this, Gabe would always stick up for a teammate but was never a "goon". What he did do was realize that his Team wanted him to step up in certain physical situations and he took it upon himself to improve his skills in that department too (yes this element of the game takes skill and training too). This young man is one sharp cookie, not some knuckle-dragging neanderthal.
Folks, none of us can predict how ANY player is going to do when they attempt to make the jump to the big leagues but I'll tell you this - Gabe will leave his guts on the ice to make it.
A couple of years ago he attended the Phoenix Training Camp and did quite well there too (and won over a lot of fans there in the process) - he refuses to accept failure - how many can say that about themselves???? Not freakin" many!!!!!!
Let me end on this note, don't think that Minnesota was the only Team interested in Gabe. Before you go throwing your Team's Scouting and Management Staff under the bus - they may turn out to be the smartest ones.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Well thanks Parker, it's much appreciated.

Most people here haven't ever seen him in person or really looked into him at all beyond a quick look at the stats. It's nice to see some people who actually have first-hand knowledge of the guy.

Hopefully everything works out.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Great post Parker. Appreciated take. Never saw a reason to trash the pick or praise it necessarily -- being that I never saw him play. I do like reading what others who have personally seen him, though.

WildFinn*

Thanks for the info Parker. :handclap:

So what do you see as his projection? Did we get our Bickell?

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
If hard work was the only qualification to be a professional athlete, we'd have the top leagues paying players thousands, not millions. A special league requires special talent, not special drive or work ethic. Truly a head-scratching pick.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If hard work was the only qualification to be a professional athlete, we'd have the top leagues paying players thousands, not millions. A special league requires special talent, not special drive or work ethic. Truly a head-scratching pick.

Yes and in THAT specialized league you need skill guys AND grit guys. Want proof? how huge was that 3rd line for Chicago in the playoffs?

This wan't a stupid pic, nor was it a throwaway pick, yes they took a gamble that this young man will bring certain qualities to the ice, not scoring but grit. It may or may not work out just as any pick may or may not work out.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Wayne Simmonds was well over PPG at 20 though with 75 points in 60 games.

Let's look at some of those Hawks numbers for the guys who played CHL...

Patrick Kane - 2.50 (!!!)
Bryan Bickell - 1.24
Marian Hossa - 1.60
Michael Frolik - 1.44
Andrew Shaw - 0.81
Dave Bolland - 1.76
Brandon Saad - 1.72
Dan Carcillo - 0.84

Except for Shaw and Carcillo, these guys were dominating juniors. Even the 3rd/4th liners. They had puck skills and offense as younger players.

But even Shaw and Carcillo were close to PPG in juniors...again Gabriel had 28 points in 67 games. 0.42 points per game. Half as effective as those two.

I realize I'm going to draw a lot of the "NUMBERS DON'T MEAN EVERYTHING!" crowd, but then I'd like to see some examples of players who didn't do well in the CHL yet were able to stick in the NHL as something other than a goon.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
(yawn)

TIL- Stephane Veilleux is better than Hossa, Bickell, Frolik, And Shaw. Not really, but he had a 1.69, where did that skill go so soon?

Veilleux was never able to come close to replicating what he did in his junior days, but at least you knew he done that SOMEWHERE.

Jarick is right on the money. Wayne Simmonds demonstrated he had some offensive ability and talent in junior plus could be miserable to play against. Daniel Carcillo didn't quite have the points, but anyone who followed Patrick O'Sullivan after we drafted him, during the 2004 lockout could seldom hear a game with the Ice Dogs that Carcillo wasn't mentioned. He too showed some decent offensive skills to go along with his agitation qualities, his problem was he ended up getting suspended a lot.

I agree with State of Hockey too, if its just about hard work then being a professional athlete would be very straight forward. Just work hard and viola you're a professional athlete. Anyone who has been an athlete just about anywhere understands that your intention and wants and yes (gasp) even your work ethic doesn't mean squat if you don't have the talent. Parker states that if there is something that he needs to work on he'll do all that he can and get it done. Really? Do I care one bit what Kurtis Gabriel has done to this point? Nope. He wants to make a career of playing a game. What else would any of us here expect? That he takes it for granted and doesn't care? But at the end of the day if he's just a 'feel good story' and it doesn't help the organization I hope they admit they made a bad choice and let the guy go unsigned.

I have ZERO hopes for Kurtis Gabriel. I am just not seeing what an unproductive overage player gives this team no matter how bad 'he' wants it.

So why wasn't he the best player on his team if his work ethic was so incredible it could make up for all of his deficiencies? I don't care what he did at the Phoenix Prospect camp. Kyle Thomas, a Division III kid out of Norwich U. looked outstanding one year at our prospect scrimmages. I am sure he wants to do all that he can with the dim hope he gets tendered a professional hockey contract. Does that mean he deserves it? BUT OMG, he worked so hard. He'd chew his arm off...blah, blah, blah.

Let's find someone around here with a semblance of objectivity that hasn't fallen for the Rudy Ruttiger BS.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Veilleux was never able to come close to replicating what he did in his junior days, but at least you knew he done that SOMEWHERE.

Jarick is right on the money. Wayne Simmonds demonstrated he had some offensive ability and talent in junior plus could be miserable to play against. Daniel Carcillo didn't quite have the points, but anyone who followed Patrick O'Sullivan after we drafted him, during the 2004 lockout could seldom hear a game with the Ice Dogs that Carcillo wasn't mentioned. He too showed some decent offensive skills to go along with his agitation qualities, his problem was he ended up getting suspended a lot.

I agree with State of Hockey too, if its just about hard work then being a professional athlete would be very straight forward. Just work hard and viola you're a professional athlete. Anyone who has been an athlete just about anywhere understands that your intention and wants and yes (gasp) even your work ethic doesn't mean squat if you don't have the talent. Parker states that if there is something that he needs to work on he'll do all that he can and get it done. Really? Do I care one bit what Kurtis Gabriel has done to this point? Nope. He wants to make a career of playing a game. What else would any of us here expect? That he takes it for granted and doesn't care? But at the end of the day if he's just a 'feel good story' and it doesn't help the organization I hope they admit they made a bad choice and let the guy go unsigned.

I have ZERO hopes for Kurtis Gabriel. I am just not seeing what an unproductive overage player gives this team no matter how bad 'he' wants it.

So why wasn't he the best player on his team if his work ethic was so incredible it could make up for all of his deficiencies? I don't care what he did at the Phoenix Prospect camp. Kyle Thomas, a Division III kid out of Norwich U. looked outstanding one year at our prospect scrimmages. I am sure he wants to do all that he can with the dim hope he gets tendered a professional hockey contract. Does that mean he deserves it? BUT OMG, he worked so hard. He'd chew his arm off...blah, blah, blah.

Let's find someone around here with a semblance of objectivity that hasn't fallen for the Rudy Ruttiger BS.

Yea. I forgot the sarcasm sign.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Wayne Simmonds was well over PPG at 20 though with 75 points in 60 games.

Let's look at some of those Hawks numbers for the guys who played CHL...

Patrick Kane - 2.50 (!!!)
Bryan Bickell - 1.24
Marian Hossa - 1.60
Michael Frolik - 1.44
Andrew Shaw - 0.81
Dave Bolland - 1.76
Brandon Saad - 1.72
Dan Carcillo - 0.84

Except for Shaw and Carcillo, these guys were dominating juniors. Even the 3rd/4th liners. They had puck skills and offense as younger players.

But even Shaw and Carcillo were close to PPG in juniors...again Gabriel had 28 points in 67 games. 0.42 points per game. Half as effective as those two.

I realize I'm going to draw a lot of the "NUMBERS DON'T MEAN EVERYTHING!" crowd, but then I'd like to see some examples of players who didn't do well in the CHL yet were able to stick in the NHL as something other than a goon.

This guy was not drafted for offence, he was drafted for grit

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Just a thought..perhaps we put some faith in the paid professional scouts that would have hours and hours of viewing of the kid BEFORE we throw him under the bus.

AFTER some viewings which Id speculate NOBODY on this chirp board thats been critical of him has had yet, perhaps then your OPINIONS may have some validity.

If this kid or family members or fans of Gabriel follow this board--welcome to the organization, congrats and good luck, we are pulling for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad