Prospect Info: With the 76th overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Tyson Hinds

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Must have really liked him to move a potentially earlier pick next year. Sounds like he's working with strong physical skills and brings an edge

the only way it’s earlier is if we are the worst team… it’s not much of a jump since we were the 2nd worse…

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How physical is he? 6’3 LHD

I found this snippet on a QMJHL on top-10 draft prospects, November edition.

• Tyson Hinds | LD | Shawinigan Cataractes
By being 6’3’’ tall and weighing in at 180 pounds, Tyson Hinds is just plain nasty to play against. The rough and tough defender from Gatineau, Quebec skates extremely well for his size and never shies away from throwing his body around.

He defends very well for the Cataractes, with a highly active stick and great body position. Hinds will never be a massive point getter, but every team values a stay-at-home defender like him. In 63 career games with Shawinigan, Hinds has 2 goals, 10 assists and a +7 rating.

No flash here, just a solid high character blueliner that will do just about anything to win puck battles down low. His vision and crisp passing allow him to transition the puck to the highly skilled Cataractes forwards with ease.

He developed his offense once he was traded to Rimouski as Rimouski liked to push its defenseman to participate in the offense. Here's a quote from the Draft Analyst:

Hinds began the season primarily as a third-pairing defenseman, rotating between the right and left sides. He currently has a lanky build but should fill out. At first glance, he seemed to play a safe, low-risk game but he has developed a more aggressive style since being traded. Several factors play into this, such as Rimouski’s up-tempo system versus the conservative style Shawinigan expects from most of their defensemen in a forward-centric attack.

Why does this situation remind me about Fleury looking more aggressive offensively in his 12-game stint with us? heh.

Reactions: lwvs84

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is unrated in the NHL Blackbook.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe a Simon Benoit type?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Does a little bit of everything... maybe Alec Martinez like?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sounds like Simon Benoit type but with more potential.

I don't see anything super special right now but if we traded for him, and he's a defenseman... I'm excited.
All indications he's 3-4 years away tho

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Really like his game but he just seemed to avoid physicality at almost every cost during camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad