Prospect Info: With the 6th Overall Pick the Golden Knights Select Cody Glass

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Glass, Suzuki and Brannstrom. This Leafs fan who has fam in Vegas thinks that's a sexy, sexy start to the franchise.

Also, being an adult and not one of the legions of high school kids on hf, I can respect what GMGM is doing; he's aware that the team will probably be bad for 2 or 3 years so he loaded up on picks in the next few drafts. Different players start at different times (I think Glass could be ready near the end of 2017-18, Suzuki a year later and Brannstrom the year after), come off ELC deals at different times. You don't want to have to pay 3 or 4 kids big money at the same time. Long game.

Lots of picks to augment the base (Glass-Suzuki-Brannstrom-Theodore-Tuch-Neal-MAF are the core today, secondary pieces Marchessault-Leipsic-Schmidt-Carrier-Haula-Perron-Smith-Miller) in the coming drafts.

If I'm ever back and can pull myself away from the tables or the pool I'll be balls deep in a VGK game.

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
Glass has future captain written all over him. Every scouting report I've seen plus watching him live a few times last year indicate he is the hardest working kid in the room and that's the example every team needs from their best players.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
What I'd like to see from him is a strong enough camp and then minors to where he will get his invite sometime this season. Down the stretch when the playoffs are out of reach and/or after they flip whatever vet forward they can't sign or want to move.

McPhee of course is not going to allow Glass to be rushed. But there is a certain point where if he shows enough they'll pull him up and let him get his lumps. And I think he is talented enough, with enough all around game too, in order to have that sort of thing happen this season.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Isn't he in the NHL or juniors category? Iirc if he is once you send him down he can't come back up until his junior teams season is over.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Did McPhee ever rush any prospects in Washington? That is something i'm very concerned about, but don't know if he has the precedent of doing it.

Give him 9 games or less next year, show him what it takes and how to train / behave like a pro, and let him go back and try and get Portland to the Memorial Cup..hopefully as Captain.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Did McPhee ever rush any prospects in Washington? That is something i'm very concerned about, but don't know if he has the precedent of doing it.

Give him 9 games or less next year, show him what it takes and how to train / behave like a pro, and let him go back and try and get Portland to the Memorial Cup..hopefully as Captain.

McPhee said in a media scrum yesterday he wouldn't rush any prospects and rather have the spend extra time in juniors/AHL versus calling them up too soon.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

I have zero concerns with McPhee rushing any of these guys. Not only is he an experienced GM who is calm and has a good handle on things, but there's no reason really to push them. Honestly I don't think they want to make the playoffs in year one, for example. They aren't going to tank, but I don't think that's the goal, I believe respectability is what they're after year one.

Only reason I want to see him show strong in camp is for our edification, just to know they made a good choice and that he's not scared or overwhelmed by the stiffer competition.

Oh and speaking of Glass came across this interesting image today:

C-tQjhkVwAAJlLT.jpg

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Anyone catch his games in the World Junior summer showcase? That usahockeyarena website says he put up 0 points in 3 games for the NT, but they are notoriously bad with keeping track of assists.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Anyone catch his games in the World Junior summer showcase? That usahockeyarena website says he put up 0 points in 3 games for the NT, but they are notoriously bad with keeping track of assists.

Yes he didn't have any points. But he was playing fourth line and killing penalties.
I think he had only one chance to play on the Power Play.

Looks like Canada was seeing if he could be a fourth line checker. He was very sound defensively. World Juniors are best of the best and sometimes they are looking for a guy who can play as a checker.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yes he didn't have any points. But he was playing fourth line and killing penalties.
I think he had only one chance to play on the Power Play.

Looks like Canada was seeing if he could be a fourth line checker. He was very sound defensively. World Juniors are best of the best and sometimes they are looking for a guy who can play as a checker.

It's good in the sense that his two-way play will only improve when taking on such a role at the highest level of Jr hockey.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Who were the top 3 centers? I know it's a 19 year olds tourney so I am not discouraged by the 4th line center duties, just curious.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

McPhee said in a media scrum yesterday he wouldn't rush any prospects and rather have the spend extra time in juniors/AHL versus calling them up too soon.

I'm in favor of giving Glass two more years in Portland, and then having him become a full-time NHLer at age 20 for the 2019-20 season. He is our Mark Scheifele: so let's develop him the same way the Jets did.

I'm not sure we can really give him the 9 games this coming season:
- If he gets 9 games at the beginning of the year, that means we have to send someone else through waivers, and I don't think McPhee wants to risk losing any of his expansion draft selections.
- I think Portland will probably still be in the WHL playoffs when Vegas plays its last regular season game this year. Though if Portland does lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, Glass could be available for the final three games of the year - the western Canada road trip to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. It'd be a pretty quick plane ride for him too. ;)

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I'm in favor of giving Glass two more years in Portland, and then having him become a full-time NHLer at age 20 for the 2019-20 season. He is our Mark Scheifele: so let's develop him the same way the Jets did.

I'm not sure we can really give him the 9 games this coming season:
- If he gets 9 games at the beginning of the year, that means we have to send someone else through waivers, and I don't think McPhee wants to risk losing any of his expansion draft selections.
- I think Portland will probably still be in the WHL playoffs when Vegas plays its last regular season game this year. Though if Portland does lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, Glass could be available for the final three games of the year - the western Canada road trip to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. It'd be a pretty quick plane ride for him too. ;)

I would prefer him to ATO to Chicago for the playoffs if they are in them. They also have 4 regular season games after the Knights are done.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Glass is the real deal and a heck of a prospect.

He's made continual progress in all areas of his game, but the added size has also made him a more dangerous player as well. You're talking about a kid whose grown 2-3 inches and put on 15 pounds in the last year and a half.

There are some similarities at the same age to another former Winterhawk, Ryan Johansen. Both rose through the ranks their draft year, got better and better, bigger and stronger and raised their stock considerably.

If the Knights land that, and at least two other solid players from this draft, that's a homerun.

Heinz Skitz Velvet

Jul 5, 2012
Day 2 of training camp, Cody Glass in 3v3 situation turns defense to offense.

Clearly getting more and more comfortable every time he steps on the ice.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Necrobump:

I see he has slowed down lately, how has Glass been as the third line center? Wasnt he playing with Max earlier? Is he trending towards bumping Stephenson from his 1C spot?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Necrobump:

I see he has slowed down lately, how has Glass been as the third line center? Wasnt he playing with Max earlier? Is he trending towards bumping Stephenson from his 1C spot?
Slowed down is an apt description.

I honestly think they need to match him with Patches and Stone and either he sinks or swims. The truth is that we can't really afford to send him down because we mortgaged our center depth for Lehner and Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I was encouraged to see his start, thinking he will take the ball and run with it. was it a chemistry problem? Or effort? Or is it bad development plan from the coaching staff?

Been following him since his days in Portland, wondering if his development is plateauing

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I was encouraged to see his start, thinking he will take the ball and run with it. was it a chemistry problem? Or effort? Or is it bad development plan from the coaching staff?

Been following him since his days in Portland, wondering if his development is plateauing

He's lost a ton of speed this year due to bulking up. They also stick him in front of the net on the PP instead of using his playmaking skills.

So yeah I'd say up to this point they're mismanaging him. They see Schiefele when he's been clearly more of a Giroux.

Last edited:
Reactions: IceNeophyte

badi

Jan 21, 2008
The kid looks slow but has obviously lots of skill
Get the right training for him,,,loll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad