Prospect Info: With the #46 pick, the Wild select Gustav Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
As a whole I like the group of defensemen we drafted. All good skaters and athletic with adequate height. Can't complain too much at all.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not really sure how to respond to this.
Thanks for proving my point that you were wrong I guess

How am I wrong?

How long you have to sign a guy has nothing to do with how long it will take a player to be ready for the NHL.

Re-reading this, I can see your point of view because all prospects develop differently and at their own pace. But we aren't going to be yanking Gustav out of school until 3-4 years down the road unless he decides to go the CHL route (ala Charlie Coyle). This is different then a guy coming out of the CHL that is forced to go into the AHL. By 3-4 years when Gustav is ready, that prospect will have 1-2 more years of development in a higher league. Does it mean he is prepare for the NHL? Maybe, maybe not. But it also means we can't really do anything with Gustav for at least 3 years, 1 more year than a CHLer.

Furthermore, do you think Draeger, Seeler or Lucia is ready for the AHL?

Last edited:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
SCOUTING
REPORT .. a poised, big-bodied rearguard .. mobile, all-axis skater
powered by excellent feet and a smooth, sturdy stride .. effortless in
turns and pivots and lateral movements .. plays a responsible and
conservative game - guided by solid awareness and hockey sense ..
astute in his positioning - always alert and surveying the landscape
.. not blessed with flashy skills, yet is an accurate passer and
steady puckmover .. manages the puck well - takes the simple play
- and gradually improved his decision making during the season ..
will benefit from adding power to a decent point shot which he has
demonstrated an ability to make space for - and a knack for getting
through traffic to the net .. not afraid to initiate contact with his
expansive body and wingspan .. his impact as a physical presence
should increase as he builds muscle mass onto his spacious frame
.. a solid prospect with versatility and tools at his disposal - and
plenty of development potential.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
How am I wrong?

Re-reading this, I can see your point of view because all prospects develop differently and at their own pace. But we aren't going to be yanking Gustav out of school until 3-4 years down the road unless he decides to go the CHL route (ala Charlie Coyle). This is different then a guy coming out of the CHL that is forced to go into the AHL. By 3-4 years when Gustav is ready, that prospect will have 1-2 more years of development in a higher league. Does it mean he is prepare for the NHL? Maybe, maybe not.
Ah, the USHL has 19 and 20 year olds. It is not as good as the CHL but it is a very good league.

Last edited:

J22*

How am I wrong?

Re-reading this, I can see your point of view because all prospects develop differently and at their own pace. But we aren't going to be yanking Gustav out of school until 3-4 years down the road unless he decides to go the CHL route (ala Charlie Coyle). This is different then a guy coming out of the CHL that is forced to go into the AHL. By 3-4 years when Gustav is ready, that prospect will have 1-2 more years of development in a higher league. Does it mean he is prepare for the NHL? Maybe, maybe not. But it also means we can't really do anything with Gustav for at least 3 years, 1 more year than a CHLer.

Furthermore, do you think Draeger, Seeler or Lucia is ready for the AHL?

Playing 2 years of NCAA is much better for the development of a big dman than 2 years of CHL. Almost zero NCAA players with a real NHL future play 4 years of college, and there are countless numbers of guys who play 2 years of NCAA and then a year in the AHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ah, the USHL as 19 and 20 year olds. It is not as good as the CHL but it is a very good league.

Wow, that old? I thought the USHL was a setting stage for the college group, so 18 year olds.

Playing 2 years of NCAA is much better for the development of a big dman than 2 years of CHL. Almost zero NCAA players with a real NHL future play 4 years of college, and there are countless numbers of guys who play 2 years of NCAA and then a year in the AHL.

Uh Justin Schultz? Jake Gardiner (3 years). Aaron Ness (3 years). Seems like 3 years and then done.

J22*

Wow, that old? I thought the USHL was a setting stage for the college group, so 18 year olds.

Uh Justin Schultz? Jake Gardiner (3 years). Aaron Ness (3 years). Seems like 3 years and then done.

Schultz and Gardiner also went straight to the NHL. Now list all of the CHL dmen that spent 2 years in the CHL and then 3 or more in the AHL.

Again, the only difference between the CHL and NCAA as far as NHL teams are concerened, is teams can take NCAA guys whenever they want/think they're ready.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Finally profiled the top pick!

First Round Bust said:
Gustav Olofsson - Green Bay Gamblers (USHL): Olofsson is someone who may even be targeted in the late 1st or early 2nd round, as teams have become smitten with his exceptional hockey sense, size, and mobility. What you likely won't get in offense from him, you will get in safe, solid defense; he's the type of defender to keep the play ahead of him. Not a game breaker per se, but a guy who could eat up tough minutes and be reliable enough shift after shift. Portland courted him extremely hard to be their CHL import pick, but the former Colorado Thunderbird opted to keep his NCAA commitment to Colorado College.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Yes, the Wild needed more non-physical defensemen. He's not going to be Brodin otherwise he would've been drafted in the 1st round.

depends on how the chips fall. Just because he was taken 46 doesn't mean he wasn't first round talent. All depends on how teams rank and value him and other players- he may have been in Minnesota's Top 10.

The Wild have drafted far too many of these finesse, non-physical stay at home types IMO. .

like who, especially when Flahr's been running the draft table?

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
The only non-physical d-men that have been picked in his 5 drafts are Leddy, Brodin, and Gunnarsson.

Leddy and Brodin seem to be doing OK. Hopefully, the same can be said about Gunnarsson when he comes over.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Flahr: “He’s a kid we targeted. He’s a kid that really shot up our draft board throughout the year. He basically played high school hockey in Colorado last year, which is a real low level, and stepped in the USHL, and right from the first tournament of the year, he looked like a player and just get better and better. His mobility, instincts for the game, moving the puck and going back into tight situations. Some of the reads he makes, we were very impressed. His dad is a huge man. He’s already a big kid and he has lots of room to fill out. We’re excited for his future.”
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/213782751.html

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the Wild are smart at drafting within their constraints. They have definitely started locking down Minnesota high school and the Midwest junior league of USHL.

CHL is overexposed, so you can get by on relying on others. Russians, Czech, and Slovaks aren't worth the trouble except when it's really obvious (sorry). NCAA under-age freshmen scout themselves.

Hammer Swedian, Finland, and the Midwest, plus snagging a few from the CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad