Prospect Info: With the 39th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Jackson LaCombe

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like the team liked him a lot and didn't want to risk him not being there at our next pick.... maybe a bit of a reach... but like merlin said i trust our system/scouts and think hell find his way into the NHL

-Fairly certain he put up the most points in a season ever for a defenseman at Shattuck.
-Pronman name-dropped him as a potential R1 pick.

seems like a high potential pick

Reactions: Exit Dose

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
LaCombe sounds interesting.

Like what I've been reading about him being really good in transition.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
He's another Montour, exciting ceiling.

That was exactly my thought after doing approximately 2 seconds of research.

You also beat me to the Twitter thread. Gonna be interesting to watch how he makes the huge leap from high school hockey to college, but it is encouraging that he absolutely destroyed weak competition.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
https://thehockeywriters.com/jackson-lacombe-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Good info in this scouting report.

Seems like a perfect project for Scotty, is he still on staff? One thing for sure is this kid can skate. Has that jitter bug edge/puck work you typically only see in high end forwards. From reading around he's 6' 2" now after a sudden growth spurt and still growing probably. Also he's a super athletic kid and comes from an athletic family.Really like this pick, wouldnt be surprised if he breaks out at Minnesota within the next couple seasons. Gonna be fun tracking his progress.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
On the video provided on both articles being shared here, Jackson said he models his game most to Shea Theodore! Bob and Madden going offensive with their first three selections of the draft.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He's a project, but there's no rush so no problem.

He’s only a freshman at Minnesota next season. His coach loves his speed and skill set for the Gophers as well. He loves to join the rush and is a pretty damn good puck moving defenseman as well.

This is a good pick. We need a Vatanen type player. Kid at 17 years old put in 22 goals and 89 pts for Saint Mary’s prep school last season.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Going to Minny means he'll have a chance to bulk up his body. So great speed with bulk added and loves to score? That's some good chess maneuvering by Madden. Gonna be interesting to see how far Jackson will develop a couple of years from now. This past year, he grew a half-inch and gained 15 pounds. He's still growing?!

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Pronman:
Jan. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-1 | 172 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 55

Lacombe’s stock picked up steam as the season went along as he had a so-so Hlinka followed by an excellent prep season at Shattuck before ending his year in the USHL. Lacombe is a mobile defenseman with a clean stride that generates speed quickly. He’s able to hover around the blueline with his mobility and lead a rush well. Lacombe has a good skill level. He can evade checks and weave through defenders on rushes fine. He shows poise with the puck and rarely looks like he’s exerting a lot of effort with his skating or puck-moving. Defensively he’s got a bit of an edge and closes on guys well with his skating. While he makes some plays and plays the game hard, I question how well he thinks the game some shifts. He can be turnover prone and out of position defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad