Prospect Info: With the 39th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Olof Lindbom

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn't mean to start an Allaire thing. I'm on the record as saying he's good at his job. I just feel like some people here think he literally has The Midas Touch with goalies, when in reality most guys he works with will still fail or stagnate, and other guys in his position are also very good. Just look over at the Isles and Mitch Korn.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
At least Maloney stunk as Islanders GM too. He even admitted he got lucky with Hank. “I didn’t know Henrik Lundqvist from Joe Smith."

Of the 21 selected ahead of Hank, 13 never played an NHL game and 2 played 1 game.

so true. I remember during a silent moment broadcasted from Nassau a fan yelled out “get rid of Maloney”. He was awful for the Isles too.

Reactions: egelband

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I would never draft a goalie in the first two rounds simply because of the value the position holds on the market. They're hockey's equivalent of a punter/kicker.

Which is ridiculous and I don't understand the mentality.

They should be valued like a Pitcher or Quarterback.

Yeah, everyone has a few, some better than others, the majority can "hack it", but the guys who can steal games on their own are a diamond in the rough.

*edit 6/26/2020, @Amazing Kreiderman not calling you out. I semi-agree with the tactic outside of a guy like Shesterkin's talent being there and filling a team need. I was just saying my piece about the sportwide perspective of the position. It boggles my mind. There is a weird disconnect in the logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
hello Kevyn Adams - your rebuild needs a lynch pin goalie, send us Matej Pekar for this guy drafted 55 spots sooner

I would die if we could pry Matej Pekar out of Buffalo. Imagine him and Lemieux on the ice? or teams having to consider Pekar or Lemieux alternating shifts? Then TDA and Trouba in the next zone alternating shifts?

Reminds me of the mid/late 90's Devils with layers of skilled peckerheads.

NYR/Boston games would be fun to watch the next few years.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Which is ridiculous and I don't understand the mentality.

They should be valued like a Pitcher or Quarterback.

Yeah, everyone has a few, some better than others, the majority can "hack it", but the guys who can steal games on their own are a diamond in the rough.
I think @Amazing Kreiderman means it in terms of scarcity. Like, a team only needs one or two good goalies. Need as many forwards and defensemen as possible. But you only need a couple goalies and even the second one doesn’t play much. Of course having a lot of good goalies isn’t a ‘bad’ thing. But it’s just such a big drop off from forwards and d.
I think we all appreciate the value of the starting goalie.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If I'm Chicago's GM it absolutely does make sense for me to draft Askarov. Unless they win the lottery if he's there he should be their guy. They have an aging often injured Crawford backed up by Malcolm Subban--three 25 year olds in the minors (none of them really NHL caliber) and a couple late round unsigned prospects.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Goalies are incredibly important, far more so than punters and kickers (although good kicking is actually undervalued in the NFL). The point of it is, as it pertains to the draft, you're much more likely to find a good or even great goalie in the third round on than you are to find great skaters--proportional to how many are picked, not volume, obviously. So unless you're a team that is absolutely set up front and on defense for the next several years--I'm talking a young superstar, a bunch of other quality young, cheap assets and some really good prospects--I can't get behind drafting a goalie in the first round. This theoretical "stacked" team that I described can reach for that goalie because it may be "the missing piece," but for other teams you're better off taking a goalie in the back-half of the second, the third, or later, while also trying to find a good UDFA guy or European free agent.

And even that stacked team, they could probably find an above-average goalie as a free agent or through trades for pretty cheap.

Reactions: jas

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Depending on how the draft breaks for the Sens, Askarov with their 2nd pick is a no brainer. Hawks management might go goalie, but they seem to like to go for a cheaper, re-tooling option at that position. They can get a good position player, look for a more typical draft position goalie and bring in a cheaper mid tier goalie while this core starts to slow down. I am going to end up eating these words, but the Toews-Kane group is becoming irrelevant in the face of the young talent in the league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Looks as if he signed back on with Mora? I can't understand the video but it's my understanding it's covered in here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also, if it wasn't mentioned in the other stuff posted, Isak Wallin is leaving Mora. He was the primary starting goalie for them last year. So it actually looks like Mora will roll with Lindbom and a 19-year-old kid named Mateus Ward.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Also, if it wasn't mentioned in the other stuff posted, Isak Wallin is leaving Mora. He was the primary starting goalie for them last year. So it actually looks like Mora will roll with Lindbom and a 19-year-old kid named Mateus Ward.
upload_2020-6-26_12-28-5.gif

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How do we feel about Lindbom’s progress so far this year?
Two years ago, he only managed like eight games and wasn't good.

Last year, he managed 16 Allsvenskan games and wasn't very good. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't good, either.

He has played in seven games this year with a .914 SV%, which is by far his best performance, but again we're talking about seven games. He has also missed a few due to injury already.

Tough to evaluate his progress this year given that it's such a small sample. If he can stay healthy and play the way he has so far that would be great. To this point he has obviously been disappointing, but he has youth on his side and a couple years to establish himself.

Reactions: egelband and bobbop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->