Prospect Info: With the 39th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Olof Lindbom

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Please don't compare baseball players who will miss a game with hangnail to hockey players! It honestly is insulting.

What's with the attitude in the last couple of posts?

On the topic, there's been numerous (including recent) accounts from hockey players who were cleared to play after suffering concussions and later admitting that their performance post-injury was impacted. Missing 11 weeks due to concussion meant a full stop in any and all types of physical activities during a big chunk of that time. Even if he wasn't suffering from the symptoms afterwards - he simply couldn't comeback in December and be in a mid-season form. To me - this is a lingering effect.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
What's with the attitude in the last couple of posts?

On the topic, there's been numerous (including recent) accounts from hockey players who were cleared to play after suffering concussions and later admitting that their performance post-injury was impacted. Missing 11 weeks due to concussion meant a full stop in any and all types of physical activities during a big chunk of that time. Even if he wasn't suffering from the symptoms afterwards - he simply couldn't comeback in December and be in a mid-season form. To me - this is a lingering effect.
Evidence from just watching Rangers games: Rick Nash pre/post concussion in any season he had a concussion here, the biggest stand out being the year of the cup run

Reactions: pblawr and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Please don't compare baseball players who will miss a game with hangnail to hockey players! It honestly is insulting.
Come on, Sergio, follow along. The point was that players in sports far-less physically intensive than hockey suffer concussions that can be completely debilitating and life-altering. Unfortunately "being tough" like we assume all hockey players to be does not protect the brain, and hockey players are just as likely to suffer brain injuries as any other athlete. If you miss 11 weeks, that's a pretty serious concussion, despite the sport. And the chances of lingering effects, even if you are cleared to resume play, is pretty high!

I also intentionally chose Bay and Morneau, anticipating this dumb comment, as they are both Canadian nationals who played hockey growing up. Morneau even had a chance with the Winter Hawks before deciding to pursue baseball--he could have been a pretty solid goalie, given that he grew to 6'4", 220 (but yeah, hangnails and shit). :laugh:

Also, I like your name. Bill Sergio. BS. I'm going to call you BS moving forward.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Evidence from just watching Rangers games: Rick Nash pre/post concussion in any season he had a concussion here, the biggest stand out being the year of the cup run

Or from two seasons ago when it took Zibanejad at least a month to get around to the same level of play that he showed earlier in that season before his concussion.

Reactions: pblawr and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Or from two seasons ago when it took Zibanejad at least a month to get around to the same level of play that he showed earlier in that season before his concussion.
Yup. And as I mentioned previously, and people who watched a lot of Hartford can probably attest to, after each missing a couple weeks with "upper body injuries", neither Gettinger nor Meskanen looked the same. Particularly Mesk.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The highlighted part is your opinion. When talking about injuries, please use facts not more likely or less likely. He was out for 11 weeks with a concussion, that is less then 3 months. Actually with what is known about brain injuries now it is more likely that he was not cleared to play until he had no lingering effects at all, but because you hated the pick last year you make a 1/4 of the year, become a whole year. Lets find out what is going on before you jump to a conclusion. He could have been taken out for procautionary reasons because they were getting blown out.

I can assure you that my "opinion" on this is far more valid than whatever this nonsense is.

What the f*** are you talking about re: the bold?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Thanks RB.
@Ola was looking for you in another thread which, at least pro tempore, is phantom zone for me.
I see there he is outreaching me to help track you down.

Haven't been to this forum tooooooo much, but gather you remain, as I once dubbed you, deservedly "our most esteemed poster".

Show him some love pls with a reach out and stay safe, healthy.

Peace to all from busy bernmeister -- man with a plan [hopefully more on that before end of yr].

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks RB.
@Ola was looking for you in another thread which, at least pro tempore, is phantom zone for me.
I see there he is outreaching me to help track you down.

Haven't been to this forum tooooooo much, but gather you remain, as I once dubbed you, deservedly "our most esteemed poster".

Show him some love pls with a reach out and stay safe, healthy.

Peace to all from busy bernmeister -- man with a plan [hopefully more on that before end of yr].
The post you are replying to is almost a year old.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm still convinced that the only reason they drafted this guy in the second round was that they pulled his name out of a hat.
Every time they talk about him, they always reference that he was great in U18 national play in his D-1 and U17 international in his D-2. He was among the top handful of goalie prospects in the draft. I never had a problem with the player, just the spot he was picked. That will always stick with him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Every time they talk about him, they always reference that he was great in U18 national play in his D-1 and U17 international in his D-2. He was among the top handful of goalie prospects in the draft. I never had a problem with the player, just the spot he was picked. That will always stick with him.

I would never draft a goalie in the first two rounds simply because of the value the position holds on the market. They're hockey's equivalent of a punter/kicker.

Reactions: egelband

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
And sometimes a Don Maloney drafts a Henrik Lundqvist.

yeah, didn’t he fall into that one considering he drafted both Blackburn(injury) and then Montoya after tripping over Brendl , Lundmark, Jessiman etc? Has Filip Novak learned to skate yet?

Maloney he was the worst IMO.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Halverson, Skapski, Lafleur, Stajcer. After each was picked we always heard how Allaire loved them. We've also signed guys like Wiikman, Zaba, Missiaen (an Allaire favorite), Nell, etc., that never amounted to anything. Not shitting on Allaire, but he's no magician, and him being good at his job is hardly a justification to take a developmental goalie so early.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Halverson, Skapski, Lafleur, Stajcer. After each was picked we always heard how Allaire loved them. We've also signed guys like Wiikman, Zaba, Missiaen (an Allaire favorite), Nell, etc., that never amounted to anything. Not shitting on Allaire, but he's no magician, and him being good at his job is hardly a justification to take a developmental goalie so early.

There's a case to be made that Allaire is more a product of Lundqvist than the other way around :laugh:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
yeah, didn’t he fall into that one considering he drafted both Blackburn(injury) and then Montoya after tripping over Brendl , Lundmark, Jessiman etc? Has Filip Novak learned to skate yet?

Maloney he was the worst IMO.
At least Maloney stunk as Islanders GM too. He even admitted he got lucky with Hank. “I didn’t know Henrik Lundqvist from Joe Smith."

Of the 21 selected ahead of Hank, 13 never played an NHL game and 2 played 1 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->