Prospect Info: With the 39th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Olof Lindbom

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
But we didn't need a goalie prospect that's the biggest problem.
Goalies take longer to develop, we all know that, picking a goalie isn’t picking a goalie based on what you have in the pool now, it’s what you’ll have in the pool in five years.

I know he's the best in the business but why is our goaltending coach making drafting decisions?
And I don’t think he’s making the draft pick, he might have some input, but I heard on one of the million hockey podcasts I listen to (or even read this somewhere) that most teams are employing goalie scouts that only focus on watching and finding goaltenders. Looking at the list of front office members, the scouts aren’t broken up into specifics, but one would think the Rangers also employ a goalie scout somewhere in their ranks. (And Benoit is listed as an assistant coach and goalie coach)

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Goalies take longer to develop, we all know that, picking a goalie isn’t picking a goalie based on what you have in the pool now, it’s what you’ll have in the pool in five years.
Isn't that really true of all players outside of the top handful that will make an impact within a year or so? I mean once you get out of the top 20, maybe the first round, you're usually looking at guys that are 3, 4, 5 years from making a difference.

If they wanted to draft a goalie, I was cool with that. Take one late. Huska and Wall were later picks, they both show promise. Georgiev was a UDFA, and he looks very good. That's the thing--so many top goalies are drafted later or not drafted at all. I think when it comes to drafting them you either go all in and try to grab the stud, or you grab a guy in the fourth or fifth or sign a college free agent. There's just no reason to use that valuable draft capital, the 39th pick, on a goalie.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not for a position where you can only play one player. It's like drafting QB high because it's BPA. And QB is a much more important position. This does NOT work for goalies.

Having young goalies coming through the system at different times is a good thing. It allows you to do what Tampa did when they were comfortable trading Bishop away for a cheap backup and a young D prospect (who they now have playing with McDonagh on an ELC).

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that we shouldn't have taken a goalie in the 2nd round, but taking a goalie in general isn't an issue.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Having young goalies coming through the system at different times is a good thing. It allows you to do what Tampa did when they were comfortable trading Bishop away for a cheap backup and a young D prospect (who they now have playing with McDonagh on an ELC).

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that we shouldn't have taken a goalie in the 2nd round, but taking a goalie in general isn't an issue.

Well yeah I wouldn't complain if he were taken in the 4th round.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Well yeah I wouldn't complain if he were taken in the 4th round.
the odds of a random 2nd rounder becoming an NHLer (any NHLer not even a good one) vs a random 4th rounder is only trivially better

if you believe in your scouts it's a no brainer to take the goalie in the 2nd over some dogma over the fungibility of mid-round goaltenders

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Do you have an idea of how the goalie situation is going to look?

Olof Lindbom (New York Rangers) was hurt last season, but the year before he was outstanding. Two years ago, I thought he was one of the best goalies to ever come out of our U18 program. He was a difference maker then. But he hasn’t played much lately, so we’ll see. We have like five or six really good goalies, but as of now we don’t know who is going to be the starter.

Q&A: Sweden world junior coach Tomas Monten on prospects for...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This kid took a nasty knee to the head yesterday and left the game after the 2nd period. Battled concussion all last year so this isn’t good news at all. He basically didn’t play last year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He barely played all season. You think that he was 100 percent? Now he might have another one in his first action of the summer. It is what it is.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He barely played all season. You think that he was 100 percent? Now he might have another one in his first action of the summer. It is what it is.

He missed 11 weeks between September and December, was playing again in January and spent a few weeks in February/March as a backup for the SHL team. Yes, he didn't play all that much, but it's not as if he was battling a concussion "all year"

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He missed 11 weeks between September and December, was playing again in January and spent a few weeks in February/March as a backup for the SHL team. Yes, he didn't play all that much, but it's not as if he was battling a concussion "all year"[

As said above, you just can't say that with concussions. If a guy has a major concussion (and 11 weeks is a major concussion), it is almost a certainty that there will be lingering effects well after he is allegedly cleared and good-to-go. So it's much, much more likely that he was "battling a concussion 'all year'" than not. That's just the way brain injuries operate. I think you're looking at this the way we USED to look at concussions versus how we view them now.

Bill Sergio

Mar 2, 2018
As said above, you just can't say that with concussions. If a guy has a major concussion (and 11 weeks is a major concussion), it is almost a certainty that there will be lingering effects well after he is allegedly cleared and good-to-go. So it's much, much more likely that he was "battling a concussion 'all year'" than not. That's just the way brain injuries operate. I think you're looking at this the way we USED to look at concussions versus how we view them now.

The highlighted part is your opinion. When talking about injuries, please use facts not more likely or less likely. He was out for 11 weeks with a concussion, that is less then 3 months. Actually with what is known about brain injuries now it is more likely that he was not cleared to play until he had no lingering effects at all, but because you hated the pick last year you make a 1/4 of the year, become a whole year. Lets find out what is going on before you jump to a conclusion. He could have been taken out for procautionary reasons because they were getting blown out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah 11 weeks is an extremely long time to be out with a concussion. I look at baseball players, who generally absorb less contact than anyone else. Jason Bay picked up two bad concussions and it basically ended his career. Justin Morneau was a star and then he suffers a bad concussion, misses the final few months, and damn near had to retire from it. You just don't know. The list of guys who have been concussed and came back only to later admit they suffered from years of PCS is literally endless.

Reactions: pblawr

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The highlighted part is your opinion. When talking about injuries, please use facts not more likely or less likely. He was out for 11 weeks with a concussion, that is less then 3 months. Actually with what is known about brain injuries now it is more likely that he was not cleared to play until he had no lingering effects at all, but because you hated the pick last year you make a 1/4 of the year, become a whole year. Lets find out what is going on before you jump to a conclusion. He could have been taken out for procautionary reasons because they were getting blown out.
He was taken out as a precaution, but his concussion history did factor into that decision

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
...everyone acknowledges he was taken out yesterday for precautionary reasons. I mean, his team said exactly that. There's not really any disputing it. The discussion is last season's concussion, and whether or not one that severe would likely have lingering effects throughout the season. And let's not be disingenuous, when we're talking about the "whole year", we're talking the whole hockey year; for him in J20, that's what, September-April? So basically 35%-40% of the year was missed with the concussion.

Anyway, the point is, just as you argue you cannot say for certain that he was still suffering lingering effects, it's somewhat naive to say he was certainly not suffering lingering effects, given what we know about concussions and how athletes generally handle them.

Bill Sergio

Mar 2, 2018
Yeah 11 weeks is an extremely long time to be out with a concussion. I look at baseball players, who generally absorb less contact than anyone else. Jason Bay picked up two bad concussions and it basically ended his career. Justin Morneau was a star and then he suffers a bad concussion, misses the final few months, and damn near had to retire from it. You just don't know. The list of guys who have been concussed and came back only to later admit they suffered from years of PCS is literally endless.

Please don't compare baseball players who will miss a game with hangnail to hockey players! It honestly is insulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->