Prospect Info: With the 39th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Olof Lindbom

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Didn’t want to be reminded of this pick

I absolutely hated the pick, nothing against the kid but taking a goalie there when we had shesty made no sense. and the fact that bode wilde, jack drury and akil thomas had big years last year doesn't help you feel better about it...

that said though he's now ours, so I want nothing more than for him to make us all look like clowns in hindsight for hating on the pick.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know if you guys ever watched Frasier but there was an episode where Frasier lost a tape of one of his shows (or found out that it was missing) and found a crazy fan that had a copy of the tape. The fan was so obsessed with him, Frasier realized that obsessions aren't healthy and left the tape with him and rendered his collection imperfect. It was as if Gorton wanted to render this rebuild imperfect by drafting this guy and declining the tape.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He’s 5 years behind shesterkin I don’t have as much of a problem with taking a goalie in that draft but he wasn’t even the best goalie in the draft in a year where the goalie pool sucked. He’s once again undersized. Seems like allaire does better with smaller goalies than he does drafting bigger goalies though.

But then taking him 39th overall? Just absolutely absurd

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if you guys ever watched Frasier but there was an episode where Frasier lost a tape of one of his shows (or found out that it was missing) and found a crazy fan that had the tape. The fan was so obsessed with him, Frasier realized that obsessions aren't healthy and left the tape with him and rendered his collection imperfect. It was as if Gorton wanted to render this rebuild imperfect by drafting this guy and declining the tape.
That was....an interesting path to take to make this point.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It does suck. Akil Thomas would've provided much-needed C depth in the farm and Bode Wilde would've been a nice-sized RHD with decent upside.

Ah well. Go Lindbom!
McLeod or Drury would have been great.

I also liked Ishakov a bit at the time, and like him more after watching him last year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Bottom line call it like it is. NYR fell in love with him after a great U18. Had nothing to do with his play beforehand. Couldn’t be. Kid had a great tourney and we jumped on him

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
"Count Olof" would be a bitchin nickname.

upload_2019-7-25_12-7-51.jpeg

Reactions: OthmannOut

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Bottom line call it like it is. NYR fell in love with him after a great U18. Had nothing to do with his play beforehand. Couldn’t be. Kid had a great tourney and we jumped on him
I think just about every article I've ever seen about Lindbom said something along the lines of "Allaire loves this kid." Always seemed to me that he was picked because Allaire saw something in him, and thinks he's can coach him to the top level. I'd hope that belief relies on more than one tournament.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think just about every article I've ever seen about Lindbom said something along the lines of "Allaire loves this kid." Always seemed to me that he was picked because Allaire saw something in him, and thinks he's can coach him to the top level. I'd hope that belief relies on more than one tournament.
I hope they draft/sign kids based on more than just "Allaire loves him," since the reality is most of the goalies we bring in do not pan out. Which of course, is not itself unusual, but with the 39th pick I'd like more than "our position coach loves the guy."

The reality is, however, that Lindbom seemed to grade out in the 3rd-5th round range. If they really liked him, he might not have been there in the third. Still, too early, too raw of a prospect, no at a position of great need. I won't ever get it, but whatever.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
By that logic, the same can be said about Kravtsov
Ehhhhh. I think pretty much everyone who was even passively following the draft had at least heard of Kravtsov, given that every outlet had him going somewhere in the first round. The surprise with him was mostly from people who don't follow the draft at all and were expecting names like Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Farabee, etc., as those were the guys who were so often mentioned on here. Kravtsov was a surprise to some, but not unknown by any means.

I just went back and looked at his draft thread, pretty much everyone lauded the pick and knew exactly who he was, I didn't see anyone say, "Who?" The only criticisms were from people who wanted Wahlstrom or whoever.

Prospect Info: - With the 9th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Vitali Kravtsov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad