Prospect Info: With the 39th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Olof Lindbom

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would love to watch that, tbh.... :)

Posted this stuff yesterday in a different thread, so I kind of had it handy. Below is a comparison of Sorokin and Shestyorkin by a goalie magazine, and that quote there is from the Russian National Team goalie coach.

Sorokin vs Shestyorkin: A Style Comparison - InGoal Magazine

Honestly, every time Ilya came to my team, I saw the problems that he had and have. They were obvious. It took a couple of days to get back to normal. Sorokin did not have enough daily work. I would not say that everything is very bad there, but nevertheless ... In my opinion, Shestyorkin is much more interesting, technically differently equipped. In the regular season, this was clearly felt. Why did not you show up in the playoffs? Because when the club has a pronounced first number with a big contract, then it will play. Remember how last year Koskinen was injured, and Shestyorkin played with "Locomotive" two matches, and then began the final with "Magnitogorsk". But nevertheless finished the series anyway Koskinen. People signed to number one, should play. The situation in the club was very difficult. Shestyorkin coped with his work, he could continue playing, but Mikko raised the cup.

Sorokin went ahead and developed, but, unfortunately, at some point noticed that there was a stop in development, there was a little passive hockey in his performance.

«Шестёркин с Канадой – правильное решение». Вся правда о вратарях России

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Posted this stuff yesterday in a different thread, so I kind of had it handy. Below is a comparison of Sorokin and Shestyorkin by a goalie magazine, and that quote there is from the Russian National Team goalie coach.

Sorokin vs Shestyorkin: A Style Comparison - InGoal Magazine

«Шестёркин с Канадой – правильное решение». Вся правда о вратарях России

Thanks for posting!!

It didn't really dictate any sense of style of play between the two, from what I intrepreted. Rather the opinion based itself on organization finances with biases of play. I still think Shesterkin is more athletic in a style to Quick or Gibson, but they both are still phenomenal prospects.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for posting!!

It didn't really dictate any sense of style of play between the two, from what I intrepreted. Rather the opinion based itself on organization finances with biases of play. I still think Shesterkin is more athletic in a style to Quick or Gibson, but they both are still phenomenal prospects.

Is this your take from the first link?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
How do you know this?
Because higher ranked goalies going into the draft were available in those rounds? I never said i knew it either, i said the chances of him beeing available in later rounds were very high. If not, tons of other goalies that would be available in the 3-5th round with a pretty similar rank as him by most scouts.

And it havent exactly worked out great when we have taken goalies in the earlier rounds the last 15 years

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Because higher ranked goalies going into the draft were available in those rounds? I never said i knew it either, i said the chances of him beeing available in later rounds were very high. If not, tons of other goalies that would be available in the 3-5th round with a pretty similar rank as him by most scouts.

And it havent exactly worked out great when we have taken goalies in the earlier rounds the last 15 years
That’s why the Rangers have their own scouts and don’t rely on the crowd sourcing. Look I know nothing about the kid and I questioned taking a goaltender at #39 when it happened but if the Rangers were that high on him, I doubt he would have been available later. Similar when to picking Miller at #22 and then have three different sources (including me) pointing out that he would have been drafted by three different teams before #26. They know stuff we do not know. That’s why they have jobs and we post on the boards.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That i agree with atleast to a certain extent. When it comes to this pick, its awful because the chances of Lindbom beeing available in the 3rd or 4th round were very high. No reason to "waste" a 2nd on him, specially after trading another second to move up and take Miller.

It's really difficult to project goalies because so few are selected. I'm not a fan of the consensus anyway, but if you're using it after round 1, what you should check is where the next 2 goalies were selected since Lindbom was ranked top 3 among goalies by some.

Rodrigue at 62, Annunen at 63 before we were on the clock again at 70.

I have a problem with us taking a goalie in the 2nd. But not with picking Lindbom as that goalie, if that makes sense.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Once the Rangers traded their additional second round pick, I'm guessing they did not feel he would be available at 70.

I freely admit that my second round pick would've been Wilde, Drury, or Olofsson, but I also don't think Lindbom was an untalented pick.

Now, whether he turns out to be the right pick is another matter.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The problem is taking a goalie that high in the draft. Unless it’s a ridiculously elite goalie prospect, you should start looking beginning in the 3rd or 4th round.

Just about every prospect I would’ve hoped we took at 19 is off to a solid D+1 start, which makes this pick even more frustrating.

I’m going to root for him regardless, but this draft, especially at this junction in Rangers history, was not the one to waste the 39th pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The problem is taking a goalie that high in the draft. Unless it’s a ridiculously elite goalie prospect, you should start looking beginning in the 3rd or 4th round.

Just about every prospect I would’ve hoped we took at 19 is off to a solid D+1 start, which makes this pick even more frustrating.

I’m going to root for him regardless, but this draft, especially at this junction in Rangers history, was not the one to waste the 39th pick.

Personally, I had Lindbom pegged for the third --- and my approach on goalies is more or less the same as yours.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Once the Rangers traded their additional second round pick, I'm guessing they did not feel he would be available at 70.

I freely admit that my second round pick would've been Wilde, Drury, or Olofsson, but I also don't think Lindbom was an untalented pick.

Now, whether he turns out to be the right pick is another matter.

The normal thing to do is say who cares and draft the best forward available or trade down few spots for an extra 3rd rounder.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
That’s why the Rangers have their own scouts and don’t rely on the crowd sourcing. Look I know nothing about the kid and I questioned taking a goaltender at #39 when it happened but if the Rangers were that high on him, I doubt he would have been available later. Similar when to picking Miller at #22 and then have three different sources (including me) pointing out that he would have been drafted by three different teams before #26. They know stuff we do not know. That’s why they have jobs and we post on the boards.
Ranger scouts haven't exactly been hitting home runs.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The normal thing to do is say who cares and draft the best forward available or trade down few spots for an extra 3rd rounder.

Depends on what’s out there and who you like.

Sometimes, the option to trade down either isn’t there, or the team doesn’t feel the return is worth the fall.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Depends on what’s out there and who you like.

Sometimes, the option to trade down either isn’t there, or the team doesn’t feel the return is worth the fall.

It would help if people understand that this is real life and not a video game. Just because left-handed D-men play well on the right side in NHL 19, doesn't mean the same is true in real life. And just because you can trade down in that same video game every time, doesn't mean those trades are available in real life.

It's actually quite sad that this needs to be pointed out.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers have a chance to clean up as far as the 2018 draft....if all of Kravtsov, Miller and Lundkvist hit and a couple of others (I would bet that Keane does) it's a fantastic draft. Ragnarsson's been hurt but he's another that I'm keen on. In that respect if all that happens taking a chance on Lindbom in the 2nd round is not that big of a deal. For sure not who I would have picked though. IMO we're pretty well covered as far as young goalies and goalies prospects. One can only think that something impressed the Rangers a lot about Lindbom.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers have a chance to clean up as far as the 2018 draft....if all of Kravtsov, Miller and Lundkvist hit and a couple of others (I would bet that Keane does) it's a fantastic draft. Ragnarsson's been hurt but he's another that I'm keen on. In that respect if all that happens taking a chance on Lindbom in the 2nd round is not that big of a deal. For sure not who I would have picked though. IMO we're pretty well covered as far as young goalies and goalies prospects. One can only think that something impressed the Rangers a lot about Lindbom.

If the Rangers get three NHL regulars out of the draft, that's a homerun.

If the Rangers get four, that's a grandslam.

I'll go on record as saying that Miller might be the difference between 2018 being a good draft and being a great draft for the Rangers.

I think the kid has a lot more tools than people realize.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They should still draft another goalie (late!) or at least look to sign a UDFA. They're going to lose some depth in the system soon.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the Rangers get three NHL regulars out of the draft, that's a homerun.

If the Rangers get four, that's a grandslam.

I'll go on record as saying that Miller might be the difference between 2018 being a good draft and being a great draft for the Rangers.

I think the kid has a lot more tools than people realize.

To me the Miller pick reminds me of the Kreider pick--a very raw but a big, strong, physical player who skates like a gazelle only I think Miller is more developed (even if he only just started playing D a couple years ago) than Kreider was at the same stage and Miller is even a better skater in the sense that he is more maneuverable--has greater lateral ability. But both were kind of raw when picked and Kreider benefited from the BC program and I think Miller will benefit from playing at Wisconsin. Kreider signed after his junior year (if I remember correctly). I'm kind of thinking Miller plays two years and then turns pro and that he'll be more ready for it than Kreider was. IMO if K'Andre can put together an offensive game he should be a stud. Barring injury though--with his size, skating, physical play--his ability to catch up with his mistakes he's pretty close to a can't miss. I'm pretty sure he's going to be an NHL player--how good is the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad