Player Discussion Olen Zellweger

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's a mixture of Theodore and Montour... but way smaller.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Really cool article from the athletic on him. Sounds very promising.

'You could see it coming': Behind the rise of Ducks second-round pick Olen Zellweger

Both Zellweger and McTavish have similar stories from the Athletic. Both improved their stock drastically by putting their heads down and working hard on their craft between the two seasons. In both articles, they cite the attention to little details and that's what separates them from others. Which means we can expect both to continue their drive on becoming better.

With our 2nd round pick, I was expecting to draft 6'2 offensive RHD Scott Morrow.

Scott Morrow draft rankings
NHL Central Scouting (NA): 39
Bob McKenzie: 36
FC Hockey: 41
Dobber Prospects: 22
Olen Zellweger draft rankings
NHL Central Scouting (NA): 45
Bob McKenzie: 88
FC Hockey: 55
Draft Prospect Hockey: 72​

The biggest difference between Morrow and Zellweger, besides height, is that Morrow was producing at a high school level while Zellweger was doing this at the WHL level. The Hockey Writers (THW) predicted that due to Zell's impressive performance at the WJC-18 that his stock would rise from projected 3rd round to the 2nd round. Still, Zell THW believes he needs a couple more years to grow and mature his game.

Here's THW projection of him at the NHL level:
Zellweger’s offensive traits are going to outweigh the size issue that some teams may hold over him. He has the potential to become a top-four defenceman who will eat up a lot of minutes on the power play. He continues to improve as each season passes, and with a never-quit attitude, he will have a distinguished career as an NHL blueliner.
I'm excited about Zell because he's already shown he can fight through adversity to rise to the top. These are the types of players you don't have to coach up as they will coach themselves up to be better.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Would a good comparable be Vatanen? Both smaller-ish guys.
Vatanen had an edge, he even jumped on Evander Kane that time, after Kane hit Stoner badly, lmao.

I think Girard, Spurgeon, even Drysdale could be good comparisons, but don't take my word for it. I have seen very little of him and the others (except Drysdale)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Vatanen had an edge, he even jumped on Evander Kane that time, after Kane hit Stoner badly, lmao.

I think Girard, Spurgeon, even Drysdale could be good comparisons, but don't take my word for it. I have seen very little of him and the others (except Drysdale)
He also played feistier than usual and rose to the challenge against some more advanced players physically, battling for pucks and keeping a lot of plays alive

wheeler has that to say about him at camp

Reactions: Hinterland and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He also played feistier than usual and rose to the challenge against some more advanced players physically, battling for pucks and keeping a lot of plays alive

That is pleasing to read.
And a bit fun because his face legit looks like he's 4 years old.

Sincerely, another baby-face.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How far off is he from making the show ? 3 years ?

2 years in the WHL + 1 AHL season = 3 seasons

Maybe he might need 4 seasons until the big show because his body will need some time to develop.

To put this into perspective, both LaCombe and Thrun are heading into their third year in the NCAA. They'll be heading to the AHL in year 4 and maybe get a call-up if they're doing well. If not, then they'll spend a season in the AHL.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
2 years in the WHL + 1 AHL season = 3 seasons

Maybe he might need 4 seasons until the big show because his body will need some time to develop.

To put this into perspective, both LaCombe and Thrun are heading into their third year in the NCAA. They'll be heading to the AHL in year 4 and maybe get a call-up if they're doing well. If not, then they'll spend a season in the AHL.

And I don't think anyone would say that the organization is developing them the wrong way (not saying you were either).

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Nice.

First thing I noticed was his face is coming around. Already looks less of a babyface :laugh:

Interesting that he models his game after Girard, that totally makes sense. But his favorite player is Ovi.
His favorite number is 8, but he guesses he will not get it in Anaheim :laugh: He now wears 48 in Everett and he likes it, but he said he ''was given'' #51

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Nice.

First thing I noticed was his face is coming around. Already looks less of a babyface :laugh:

Interesting that he models his game after Girard, that totally makes sense. But his favorite player is Ovi.
His favorite number is 8, but he guesses he will not get it in Anaheim :laugh: He now wears 48 in Everett and he likes it, but he said he ''was given'' #51

His face looks a bit longer. Maybe he's still growing? Or maybe he's working out so much where his face looks narrower (but it does look longer)?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is like 10 days from being eligible in this years draft. A lot of upside here. I LOVE this pick and the Pasta one as well. I think they are both going to be difference makers at the NHL level.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That would be huge because this kid has bust written all over him if he doesn't develop some kind of an edge. I don't think he has the hands to be an elite offensive weapon so he has to find other ways to contribute. The upside is obviously there because of his elite skating so if he turns into a Keith Ballard type of defender that would make it a great pick. At the WJC18 he was highly allergic to physical contact so that's definitely very good news and a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That would be huge because this kid has bust written all over him if he doesn't develop some kind of an edge. I don't think he has the hands to be an elite offensive weapon so he has to find other ways to contribute. The upside is obviously there because of his elite skating so if he turns into a Keith Ballard type of defender that would make it a great pick. At the WJC18 he was highly allergic to physical contact so that's definitely very good news and a step in the right direction.
What?
Physiscality would be a nice ad, but it will not determine wether he will be a successful NHL defenceman or not. There is no way he will ever become a punishing defenceman, lol. He needs to build up his strenght as much as possible but first and foremost he will have to be smart and fast to defend in the NHL.
I don't think Girard or Spurgeon are physical, but they are flvery good defencemen.
If Zel can throw a hit here and there - nice. But it will not be something that will keep him in the lineup, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad