Player Discussion Olen Zellweger

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
All of the angry posters who were upset about not drafting Eklund got their undersized skill player
Interesting pick with Drysdale already here and a lack of defensive defensemen(physical)
Given his age I suspect that he is going to play in the NHL, assuming that he makes it, at around 190 - 200 pounds. While I would prefer an even heavier player, this is not totally undersized. This pick tends to fall within the Ducks drafting tendencies of younger players and/or players who have risen rapidly in the past season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Nice! I was expecting offensive defenseman Scott Morrow (RHD) with the 34th overall and it ends up being LHD Zellweger instead. Zellweger's scouting report has him being a good two-way defenders with high end potential offense where as Morrow is pure offense right now. And being the youngest (or one of the youngest) 2021 draft prospect means there could be more room for physical growth. I do wonder if the org has been tracking his height for the past couple of years just to see if there could be some progression rate that might project there could be some more additional height expansion possible?

And with Murray citing he'd be more involved in trades than FA next week, I can see offensive defenseman LaCombe (LHD) being part of a trade for a top-6 forward. Grabbing another offensive defenseman makes a lot more sense here to keep the cupboard stocked.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I really liked this kid early in the season along with Mailloux. But folks say he is super soft so I didn’t follow much after that. If he could be like a Spurgeon then he wouldn’t need to be physical.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The NHL Blackbook hates this pick.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I will just say the words the NHL Scouts say a lot. "Rover" "Can't defend" "He's a zero sum player" "he giveth, he taketh away" "defensive wise a disaster" "too small to defend anything" "cant escape because he's not poised enough with puck"

Reactions: EverybodylovesSbisa

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Obviously don't know the player, but just want to say what a stark difference over three picks between 31 and 34. Seems extremely humble and a genuinely good kid vs a punk who had no problem humiliating a young girl.

For whatever other problems this franchise has I'm glad to have kids like this to root for.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Interesting pick. Like what I've been reading about him, seems like Anaheim like to really go after these boom/bust defencemen in the 2nd round. Also interesting given how young he is - basically have drafted him a year early so would be expecting bigger jumps then usual the next 2 years.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m on the fence with this pick. Not a huge fan but he’s very young so essentially has another year of development on most of this draft class.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He's going to get carded until he's 40. But that's fine if he becomes a Girard or Hughes type talent.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

Obviously don't know the player, but just want to say what a stark difference over three picks between 31 and 34. Seems extremely humble and a genuinely good kid vs a punk who had no problem humiliating a young girl.

For whatever other problems this franchise has I'm glad to have kids like this to root for.

only thing I don’t like about this picture is that his dad is not a few inches taller…. Would have bodes well for a late growth spurt.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Does he have a growth spurt in him at all? If he does, we may have a serious prospect on our hands, even moreso than we do now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad