Prospect Info: John Beecher signs ELC - 925K AAV

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think it goes without saying that the Bruins will need to find a centre via free agency in around 3 years. The great news is that Boston is now viewed as an ideal place for a free agent to go. Barkov, Trotchek, Rickard Rakell, Couturier and Zibinejad will be a free agent in 3 years. Mackinnon, Horvat and Monohan in 4.

Imagine going from Bergeron to Barkov?
Yep a monohan and studnicka down the middle with beecher being Coyle type. Lookout!

Reactions: bbfan419

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I hope Beecher is better than that. Not that Coyle is a bad player at all, but with Bergeron and Krejci nearing the end, I would like to think Beecher was taken as a potential top 6 C.
I would like to as well... but from what I've read I think he's a bottom 6 guy, maybe a middle 6 in his prime, but sounds more like the former. Not a knock against him either, just trying to keep our expectations tempered.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would like to as well... but from what I've read I think he's a bottom 6 guy, maybe a middle 6 in his prime, but sounds more like the former. Not a knock against him either, just trying to keep our expectations tempered.

I have no idea as I have not seen him play. I have a lot of hopes for these guys but don't post a lot about them because most of them I don't get to see. That said, top line players have to come from somewhere, and I want to believe that we have that top 6 C in our system. Whether it is Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher, Hall, JFK, who knows? All of them I think people have said are bottom 6 players, Stud maybe rated a little higher, but I know the Bruins know their needs and so I am expecting one or more of them to hit. After all, we drafted Bergeron and Krejci both in the 2nd round and if I recall right, nobody was calling them top 6 centers on draft day? (But I don't remember exactly, it was a long time ago- I had just joined HF).

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Don't know much about Beecher aside from what I've read
Don't think he's any steal though?
Kinda guy imo (from what I've read) that needs waiting before
Claiming he's a bust or a star

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Personally, I like the Kuraly comparable and I don't know why that upsets people. Hell, in some of the videos, Beecher is even wearing #52.

Kuraly's 3 years of NHL playoff numbers in an easy to read table.
GamesGoalsAssistsPointsPIM+/-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Seeing how he is basically a 1/2 point per game player in the playoffs as a 4th line center making $1.275m/yr the next 2 years, he is incredibly valuable. Also consider he put up those 10 points in these playoffs while carrying the offensive dead weight of Wagner (2 points in 12 games) and Acciari (4 points in 19 games).

People seem to want to keep Johansson around at big money but he put up 11 points in 22 playoff games. The same scoring rate as Kuraly yet Johansson had the benefit of playing on the Power Play.

And he's not just unexpected offense. Kuraly has the size and speed to match up physically against any center in this league, and the defensive awareness to keep their offense mostly contained.

Beecher seems to have all these attributes, plus a better shot. My guess is that people will continue to doubt this pick until he proves himself at the WJC-20 over the next year or two.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My hope is that this kid improves over his time in the NCAA to the point that threads here mention his game often. I haven`t a clue where his game is now but someone I trust when he posts (Dom) has stated the kid is already a very responsible 200ft player which some don`t put a ton of value on but this fan does

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I really believe this pick was made because the Bruins really see the wort case scenario is that Beecher is a Kuraly clone. The same guy who was our best center man for a few games this playoffs. He also has the potential to be a real legit 65 point second line guy. All I know for sure is with that size and speed he will play NHL hockey.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The more I think about, the more I believe this pick was made because Trent Frederic is being shopped as the one prospect other teams value that we might part with.

Vaakanainen and Studnicka are basically nonstarters. Frederic is likely available in a trade for Kreider and maybe even in a deal to unload Backes.

I see Beecher as a Frederic clone, maybe a bit more speed/intensity and a bit less skill.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The more I think about, the more I believe this pick was made because Trent Frederic is being shopped as the one prospect other teams value that we might part with.

Vaakanainen and Studnicka are basically nonstarters. Frederic is likely available in a trade for Kreider and maybe even in a deal to unload Backes.

I see Beecher as a Frederic clone, maybe a bit more speed/intensity and a bit less skill.

I see vaakananien and studnicka as big time starters. I don’t think there’s a big time prospect in Boston’s system. I see a lot of 2nd-4th line types. Any of those players can be had for the right price. If Columbus wanted studnicka and vaakananien for josh Anderson or Nashville wanted that for arvidsson etc etc I’d pull the trigger

Oh and also, 100% agree the Beecher pick makes Frederic expendable if he’s going to be a nhl contributor this season

Reactions: Lo97

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Pretty sure they drafted him because he skates like the wind, is huge and was underutilized as the 4th line center behind THREE top 10- picks on his USHL team.

I will say though, if they drafted him because they thought he was a Kuraly clone I'd be upset. I LOVE Kuraly as a player, but you don't take who is clearly a 4th line center in the 1st round.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
If you listen to some of these media critics when they talk in podcasts, they let slip a lot more than what they do when they write.
I listened to this one today, the 6-25-19, and I had to laugh at whoever was talking. ‎The Skate Podcast on Apple Podcasts
He's b*tching about the Bruins not taking the 'Russian' Kaliyev and instead taking Beecher.
1st, Kaliyev is from Uzbekistan, not Russia, so he couldn't even get the country right.
2nd, he went on to say, ' sure, Beecher might have been buried on a historic team and might have played outstanding but I couldn't be bothered to go watch the goals he scored'.

So, WTF are these media guys basing their talking points on? 'I can't be bothered to watch film, just let me look at stats.' and 'he speaks Russian so he must be Russian even though I speak English but am not English.'

The one recorded with Divver today was a lot better since Divver actually watches the games so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Providence Bruins players.

Reactions: Flannelman

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Personally, I like the Kuraly comparable and I don't know why that upsets people. Hell, in some of the videos,

It's really the new NHL. Look at Kuraly. Not a great stickhandler, lacks creativity and vision. But big and skates like the wind, works like a dog. Plays a simple game. The skating part is so paramount now, it's basically a track-meet on skates, so little time and space to utilize skills like deft stickhanding and creative passing at 5 on 5. Now it's just keep the puck moving forward by any means necessary. Beecher should be able to do the same type of thing, maybe even better.

Reactions: BigBadBruin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The one recorded with Divver today was a lot better since Divver actually watches the games so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Providence Bruins players.

EDIT: Never mind, found it- the Skate Pod ;)

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Personally, I like the Kuraly comparable and I don't know why that upsets people. Hell, in some of the videos, Beecher is even wearing #52.

Kuraly's 3 years of NHL playoff numbers in an easy to read table.
GamesGoalsAssistsPointsPIM+/-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Seeing how he is basically a 1/2 point per game player in the playoffs as a 4th line center making $1.275m/yr the next 2 years, he is incredibly valuable. Also consider he put up those 10 points in these playoffs while carrying the offensive dead weight of Wagner (2 points in 12 games) and Acciari (4 points in 19 games).

People seem to want to keep Johansson around at big money but he put up 11 points in 22 playoff games. The same scoring rate as Kuraly yet Johansson had the benefit of playing on the Power Play.

And he's not just unexpected offense. Kuraly has the size and speed to match up physically against any center in this league, and the defensive awareness to keep their offense mostly contained.

Beecher seems to have all these attributes, plus a better shot. My guess is that people will continue to doubt this pick until he proves himself at the WJC-20 over the next year or two.

I think Beecher has more skill. There's more Coyle to his game than Kuraly ( IMO ) but both are quality NHL players, so if he's in the ballpark of either, we should all be pleased.

Good looking kid, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad