Prospect Info: John Beecher signs ELC - 925K AAV

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
What an odd group of players. He's more like John Beecher.

All of those players I listed are big and fast but have bad hands with the exception of evgeny. So do we think he’ll develop hands and vision and be a top 6 guy. Or not and be a bottom 6 guy That’s how he looks to me in highlights

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's interesting to give a second read of what the different scouting reports had to say about John Beecher now that the draft is over and he is on the Bruins. Great size and balance, hard to move from the front of the net, knows how to use his body to win puck battles on the boards and corners, and dynamic passing vision. Now where have I heard this said about a Bruins center drafted in the first round before...:sarcasm:

Yes I know it's silly to compare Beecher to Joe Thornton. Especially when Thornton was a number one overall pick and is going to be a first ballot HoF while Beecher just got drafted and won't see a shift in the NHL for at least a year, possibly two while developing at the University of Michigan. I just found it interesting that its been over two decades since the Bruins drafted Thornton and they end up drafting a center that is virtually identical in terms of size and play style to him in at #30 in the first round. I just hope Beecher lives up to what he is projected to be and doesn't end up being another first round bust like Zach Hamill.

Eh? Joe Thornton was 2nd in the OHL in scoring (behind a 20 year old Marc Savage) and was still 17 when he was drafted. His vision was all world. Beecher's vision the weakest part of the package.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
All of those players I listed are big and fast but have bad hands with the exception of evgeny. So do we think he’ll develop hands and vision and be a top 6 guy. Or not and be a bottom 6 guy That’s how he looks to me in highlights

He'll develop soft mitts and be the next great 6'3" 225 lbs power center.

Reactions: bbfan419

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Eh? Joe Thornton was 2nd in the OHL in scoring (behind a 20 year old Marc Savage) and was still 17 when he was drafted. His vision was all world. Beecher's vision the weakest part of the package.
And if you had to summarize 18 year old Jumbo Joe's skill set with one word it would definitely be "speed"

Reactions: Lo97

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Beecher is more Coyle than Backes ( in terms of power forward-ness ) but we will see. Good prospect for us.

Naw. More Kuraly than Coyle. Though stylistically looks more like Coyle

Coyle has underrated puck handling, passing, scoring skills

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Naw. More Kuraly than Coyle. Though stylistically looks more like Coyle

Coyle has underrated puck handling, passing, scoring skills

What? More like kuraly but stylistically more like Coyle? Lol

Why does he have to be like a certain player? I've never understood the comparison fascination. Let him be John Beecher.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Looks like he has more skill then stats show. I don’t see another Kuraly.

Even just statistically,

Kuraly at 17, 6'1 192lbs

8-21-29p 45PIM in 51 games in USHL. 8th on his team behind guys like Blake Coleman(3rd Round) and Brian Ferlin(4th round pick)

Beecher at 17, 6'3 209lbs

15-28-43p 88PIM in 63 games for the US national u-18 team(9th on his team behind 6 top 15 picks from this draft)
6-14-20p 64PIM in 27 games for the USNTDP which plays against the USHL.

Beecher ,even at 16yo, had 9-16 25p in 34 games for the USNTDP

If Beecher can become a more skilled, bigger, and meaner version of Sean Kuraly sign me up.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Like I said, I know the comparison isn't the best. Joe Thornton was a standout talent in the OHL at the young age of 17, Beecher at 18 was good center behind arguably three elite players in Hughes, Turcotte, and Zegras when playing for the USNTDP as well as that Thornton and Beecher rely on different strengths in their game as you just alluded to. I just found the things said about Beecher to be eerily familiar.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Like I said, I know the comparison isn't the best. Joe Thornton was a standout talent in the OHL at the young age of 17, Beecher at 18 was good center behind arguably three elite players in Hughes, Turcotte, and Zegras when playing for the USNTDP as well as that Thornton and Beecher rely on different strengths in their game as you just alluded to. I just found the things said about Beecher to be eerily familiar.

Thornton wouldn’t have been buried behind Hughes turcotte and Zegras. He would have been the one burying them

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Even just statistically,

Kuraly at 17, 6'1 192lbs

8-21-29p 45PIM in 51 games in USHL. 8th on his team behind guys like Blake Coleman(3rd Round) and Brian Ferlin(4th round pick)

Coleman was the USHL & USA Hockey Junior Player of the Year that year and has had a decent career with the Devils so far. Ferlin would've been an NHL regular if not for injuries. He looked *really* good in his brief stint with the Bruins and I thought he was likely not long for the AHL. Kuraly was a depth player in his 17 year-old year who wasn't skating top-line minutes in Indy. He was being rated by the CSB and the Sharks took him in the fifth round. If that draft were being held today, he would probably have been a first or second-round pick. He's had a better NHL career than about 10 players who were picked in that first round.

The next year, Kuraly was the top-line center in Indy and had 70 points, and then made the WJC roster the following season. Kuraly's linemate Daniil Tarasov (who had a cup of coffee with the Sharks and later went to the KHL) seemed like the guy with the *really* high upside and offensive skill set on that team and had 88 points, but he never stuck in the NHL and is now playing for Dynamo Moscow.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He’s closer to Sean Kuraly than anyone you listed

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He’s closer to Sean Kuraly than anyone you listed

If his skill set best compares to Sean kuraly then I think it’s a bad pick. Kuraly is fantastic for Boston in the bottom 6 but most of what kuraly does well cant be quantified. He elevates his game in the playoffs and kuralys best skill is the fact that he’s a gamer. If someone has kuralys skill set but not his clutch gene all you’re drafting in the 1st round is a 25-30 point player

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If his skill set best compares to Sean kuraly then I think it’s a bad pick. Kuraly is fantastic for Boston in the bottom 6 but most of what kuraly does well cant be quantified. He elevates his game in the playoffs and kuralys best skill is the fact that he’s a gamer. If someone has kuralys skill set but not his clutch gene all you’re drafting in the 1st round is a 25-30 point player

Agreed would love to get another Kuraly, but in round 4, not round 1.

Sounds like everyone expects him to be more than that though.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
What? More like kuraly but stylistically more like Coyle? Lol

Why does he have to be like a certain player? I've never understood the comparison fascination. Let him be John Beecher.

He doesn't have to be like a certain player, but hearing comparisons always helps for those that don't get to see the player often.

Reactions: BMC

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This pick makes me a bit nervous, seems like they went too safe like the Frederic pick, but he seems to be a better skater. Studnicka seems promising and extending Coyle would be great, so maybe he can turn into at least a 3C, maybe a 2C, and they can have Studnicka/Coyle/Beecher down the middle when Bergeron/Krejci eventually retire.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
At 30th overall you're just hoping you get a guy whom can be a decent/borderline NHLer for a few seasons. Anything more is gravy as most guys don't more than a cup of coffee.
The one thing that I've noticed over the past few drafts is that they've seemed to put as much emphasis on attitude and coachability, and guys whom play an NHL-style game, as overall skill and without knowing him as well as a lot of you he seems to fit that profile. They trust their coaches and development to get the most out of these players and so far it's worked out really well. - That's actually why I'm kinda surprised Senyshyn and Zboril haven't taken that next step as they both seem to fit that mould.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
At 30th overall you're just hoping you get a guy whom can be a decent/borderline NHLer for a few seasons. Anything more is gravy as most guys don't more than a cup of coffee.
The one thing that I've noticed over the past few drafts is that they've seemed to put as much emphasis on attitude and coachability, and guys whom play an NHL-style game, as overall skill and without knowing him as well as a lot of you he seems to fit that profile. They trust their coaches and development to get the most out of these players and so far it's worked out really well. - That's actually why I'm kinda surprised Senyshyn and Zboril haven't taken that next step as they both seem to fit that mould.

I think they put an emphasis on drafting players who were on teams with a lot of talent and were hindered in terms of their ice time because of it. Senyshyn was on a deep veteran laden team and played on the 3rd/4th line. Bruins thought there was more to his game than the stats would imply based on a lack of ice time. Frederic was behind Matthews and Keller and Logan brown internationally. Beecher was behind hughes turcotte and Zegras. They think that had beecher or Frederic or Senyshyn been on a lesser team that gave them big time minutes that they would be drafted higher. They think there is value in that. I do too. But I don’t think it’s a good idea to look for diamonds in the rough in the first round. I like the attributes Beecher has. I’m not saying he can’t be a good middle 6 center. I just think you don’t need to look for a diamond in the rough when you’re in the first round. Just take a more obvious diamond as opposed to trying to be smarter than everyone

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think they put an emphasis on drafting players who were on teams with a lot of talent and were hindered in terms of their ice time because of it. Senyshyn was on a deep veteran laden team and played on the 3rd/4th line. Bruins thought there was more to his game than the stats would imply based on a lack of ice time. Frederic was behind Matthews and Keller and Logan brown internationally. Beecher was behind hughes turcotte and Zegras. They think that had beecher or Frederic or Senyshyn been on a lesser team that gave them big time minutes that they would be drafted higher. They think there is value in that. I do too. But I don’t think it’s a good idea to look for diamonds in the rough in the first round. I like the attributes Beecher has. I’m not saying he can’t be a good middle 6 center. I just think you don’t need to look for a diamond in the rough when you’re in the first round. Just take a more obvious diamond as opposed to trying to be smarter than everyone

I see that part also and don't really disagree with that view, however when you're consistently a good team like The Bruins have been and drafting later you have to trust that your guys are the smartest ones in the room and find those guys that were over-looked for whichever reason. It recently netted them Pastrnak and McAvoy. It's a tough line to walk as if you just go for the stable pick you'll simply lose ground to the teams drafting much higher - but the only diamond in the rough style pick that was recently drafted guy that hasn't panned out so far is Senyshyn.

When I'm talking about the same kinda style though, attitude - it's kinda hard for me to word properly. Like Carlo and DeBrusk are sort of the poster children for what I'm referring to. Styles are different but they both buy in, play there roles, work hard and you can see them wearing an A one day. I didn't know as much about Carlo before he was drafted but really liked DeBrusk in juniors as he would do anything that was asked of him and played an NHL styled game. They aren't trying to hunt down guys like Hamilton, Colborne, Spooner or Kokolachev, Lashoff or Button anymore - meaning guys whom had the talent but never really bought in. They seem to be more focused on better versions of guys like Knight, Kalus, Caron. - if any of that makes sense.

I really liked Hamill in Everett also and was happy The Bruins picked him. He was really good, incredibly hard-working and saw the ice beautifully. Always surprised he never panned out - but heard there were a few mental health issues that kind of derailed things also. I actually think their experience with Hamill and Koko made them, understandably, shy away from Barzal. - while also illustrating why I know my thoughts on it are pretty much guesses.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If beecher doesn't pan out we can try to get a solid center free agent.

I think it goes without saying that the Bruins will need to find a centre via free agency in around 3 years. The great news is that Boston is now viewed as an ideal place for a free agent to go. Barkov, Trotchek, Rickard Rakell, Couturier and Zibinejad will be a free agent in 3 years. Mackinnon, Horvat and Monohan in 4.

Imagine going from Bergeron to Barkov?

Reactions: bbfan419

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad