Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
New York Rangers 1st Round Pick #28 OA - Nils Lundkvist (RD)

73. Nils Lundkvist, D, Lulea-SHL
July 27, 2000 | 5-foot-11 | 180 pounds
GP: 28 | Goals: 2 | Points: 5 | Shoots: Right
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 50
Physical Game: 40
Hockey sense: 60
Lundkvist was a riser this season in part due to a growth spurt, no pun intended. Who am I kidding, pun intended. After never playing for Sweden internationally, he became one of the more important players for their U18 team, was named the top defenseman in Sweden’s junior circuit and at times was playing top-four minutes in the SHL for Lulea. He finds himself on this list due to the fact there isn’t a ton of upside in his game due to his size and talent level. He’s not a very flashy player, but he’s very smooth. He can skate pucks up the ice or out of trouble, but he’s more comfortable just making a good pass. He’s not a basic player and can hold onto pucks for a few more seconds to wait out options. I don’t think he has a ton of skill, though, in terms of being able to dominate a shift or create a chance without help. Defensively, he’s solid despite his size. He closes on guys well, makes good decisions and can win a few battles.
UPDATED (June 7): After initial rankings posted and I put Lundkvist on the Do Not Draft list, several NHL scouts mentioned to me I underrated his skating. I went back to the tape and agreed, and moved his skating from a 50 to a 55.

Pronman's 2018 NHL draft rankings: Top 74 prospects

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another reach.

Decent prospect. Can really skate, move the puck, carry in from zone to zone, has some offense, not awful defensively. Limited upside, but I think he'll make the NHL.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just what you want in a first round pick right? Brutal

This team has overcorrected on defense. We aren't acquiring hockey skills, offensive and defensive zone, now we are drafting based on who can dominate through the neutral zone. Both of our later firsts are the same thing. Skating, puck moving, great in the neutral zone, hockey skills are average, at best.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When you get past the first 15-20 guys then there's about 40 or so guys that are pretty close but pretty quality too. Lundqvist fits into that group.

Rangers picked two guys who played in top European leagues last year. To me we did a bit of reaching. I think we could have done better.....but OTOH we didn't pick anyone awful.....all three of our picks should become productive NHL players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Another reach, should have went Wilde. Only reason not to was he and Miller can't play together which is equally dumb but is the only thing my brain can rationalize.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Another reach, should have went Wilde. Only reason not to was he and Miller can't play together which is equally dumb but is the only thing my brain can rationalize.

Yeah, I don’t see a team that’s been emphasizing character (not in lieu of other things) taking the guy that decommitted to two separate colleges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad