Player Discussion Max Jones

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Jones is a buzzsaw out there and it's awesome to watch. I feel like he can be a poor man's Rick Nash or Jamie Benn. Probably won't develop the shot/sniping ability but he should be pretty difficult to play against on both sides of the puck.

And I know Kase is the energizer bunny but he's more a buzzard to me. The two of them on the a line next year...the buzzard and the buzzsaw. Put them with Henrique and that line should possess the puck quite a bit.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Chris Kreider if he adds the scoring touch. I don't see any Etem in his game at all, I'm not sure I understand that one. Etem could not carry the puck on his stick at all, Jones is really good at that. His only problem has been finishing off plays - but I think that will come

Hmm.. a smaller and more annoying Kreider is a good comparison... both can skate well and you would think both would be able to score more goals with all that talent.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His "attitude" reminds me of tkachuk

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Just wait til he levels an Oiler like this & look at how he smiles on his way out in being ejected from the game

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I’m ok with him willing to go over the edge if it makes him an effective player. Look at All Star Marchand? Dude elbows and licks people... wtf

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I’m ok with him willing to go over the edge if it makes him an effective player. Look at All Star Marchand? Dude elbows and licks people... wtf
Marchand is short & elbows people, his favorite player must be the equally short: late Ted Lindsay aka Terrible Ted - the player responsible for elbowing becoming a penalty in the NHL rules. Terrible Ted was an elbowing machine

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Max will do well this season to better identify the puck carrier on his line and get it to that player quicker. He just isn't that guy.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
A couple comments mentioned that "dump and chase" likely counts as a turnover, and that is definitely Jones' style.
I asked the guy if that counted and didn't see that he answered. If so that is a definite flaw in the numbers and would explain some of Max's inclusion.

Reactions: teddygmr

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think he is our most underrated player. He does so many little things that help the team.
He has some nice moves offensively but lacks the general offensive awareness to ever be a big points guy but yes, he can be effective in other ways. A good player to have on your team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m still seeing him as Matt Beleskey, without the hard shot, hard hits, quick willingness to drop the gloves to protect teammates, or offensive hockey sense. He needs to work on at least two of those things or he’s just going to be an average 3rd line grinder.
I think he is already settling into more of a 4th liner with ability to go up 1-2 lines for some spurts.
His lack of offensive awareness is very obvious, it's his other tools that make him a good player

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I’m still seeing him as Matt Beleskey, without the hard shot, hard hits, quick willingness to drop the gloves to protect teammates, or offensive hockey sense. He needs to work on at least two of those things or he’s just going to be an average 3rd line grinder.

I wish the man would start laying the body hard. It's an underrated presence on a hockey team.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
What I find interesting about Jones is that his shot was always a strength as a prospect but he just couldn't seem to ever get it off last season. I wonder if that's injuries piling up that he doesn't have it in his arsenal or that he's a young guy and still working through nerves/feeling like he has to go 100% speed all of the time instead of allowing himself that extra half second to get himself in a better position to release it. I don't think he'll ever be a big offensive contributor but he's got pretty decent hands and if he can figure his shot out he'll be able to carve out a useful complementary role.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I wish the man would start laying the body hard. It's an underrated presence on a hockey team.
He is way way bigger, stronger, faster and better in front of the net but not nearly as good of a scorer. Whenever Belesky isn't scoring he is a negative. Jones is still a positive in my book when he isn't a scoring. He just needs to develop from a 3rd line grinder to a 1st or 2nd line role player.

Reactions: teddygmr

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What I find interesting about Jones is that his shot was always a strength as a prospect but he just couldn't seem to ever get it off last season. I wonder if that's injuries piling up that he doesn't have it in his arsenal or that he's a young guy and still working through nerves/feeling like he has to go 100% speed all of the time instead of allowing himself that extra half second to get himself in a better position to release it. I don't think he'll ever be a big offensive contributor but he's got pretty decent hands and if he can figure his shot out he'll be able to carve out a useful complementary role.
You are correct. Jones had a very good shot in the juniors and he put up McTavish type numbers with lopsided goals to assists.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t ever remember Jones having that great a shot in juniors. His goal to assist ratio was high but that was more because of his lack of playmaking ability than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad