Player Discussion Max Jones

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Guy is a very good puck carrier actually for a big man. He stickhandles really well and at high speeds.

This offseason will be spent working on his shooting hopefully.

I've been a huge fan since we drafted him, all he needs to do is stay healthy

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
He's got the size and a good motor so should become a pretty effective forechecker. He can already play in a bottom 6 role, but of course we need scorers so hopefully he'll eventually figure that out. I'm not too concerned at the moment because he doesn't NEED to be a finisher right now, it would help, but I'm liking his development. Sort of reminds me of Bonino's first extended call up when he couldn't buy a point.

If he figures it out in the next couple years, him and Kase together could create some havoc in the O-zone.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Guy is a very good puck carrier actually for a big man. He stickhandles really well and at high speeds.

This offseason will be spent working on his shooting hopefully.

I've been a huge fan since we drafted him, all he needs to do is stay healthy
Still don't get why people are/were sleeping on him.

At the very least hell be a great 3rd liner... but he is an athletic beast.... and has a lot more hockey skill than people give him credit for.... id like to see him adopt a little more of corey perrys play style into his game, like going hard to the net and fighting for those dirty goals. If he can find a scoring touch, hell be a stud.

Reactions: 11Justin93

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Tons of upside due to physical tools. Even though he already is an effective nhler I would love for him to work on playmaking and scoring in the AHL for a year or do stints back and forth through next year.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He will be a great 3rd liner or okay 2nd line forward, hopefully he starts to bury a couple

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Still don't get why people are/were sleeping on him.

At the very least hell be a great 3rd liner... but he is an athletic beast.... and has a lot more hockey skill than people give him credit for.... id like to see him adopt a little more of corey perrys play style into his game, like going hard to the net and fighting for those dirty goals. If he can find a scoring touch, hell be a stud.
I was waiting to see if he could stop injuring himself and stay away from the stupid suspension inducing stuff. It wasn’t his skills, it was his common sense and his health I wanted to wait on.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s going to be an everyday NHLer. It’s just a matter of how good of one. If he can learn to finish he could be a top 6 forward. I haven’t seen crazy good playmaking skills he has a bit of tunnel vision but it’s nowhere near as bad as the likes of Etems was and he has far better physical tools than Etem did.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He’s going to be an everyday NHLer. It’s just a matter of how good of one. If he can learn to finish he could be a top 6 forward. I haven’t seen crazy good playmaking skills he has a bit of tunnel vision but it’s nowhere near as bad as the likes of Etems was and he has far better physical tools than Etem did.

Let's not compare him to etem.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Love his level of compete and dynamic skating. If he can learn to finish better he’s gonna be a core player for us.
Honestly I feel like hes more unlucky than anything right now... he gets a few solid chances a game, but yeah hes been fun to watch... and I imagine hell be even more fun to watch when they team is actually playing for something.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think he plays like larger Kase in the way he forechecks. Its refreshing to see... like Kesler in his prime.

It's the complete opposite when watching slugs like Perry taking his time forechecking...

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He reminds me of a non perimeter playing Etem. which is not a bad thing

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He’s not as tough, nasty, or a fighter like Tom. He’s also not as strong and nasty as a Ferland. He’s a better skater than those two. Not sure who we can compare him to... maybe a bigger Bennett in the way he skates and forecheck, but even Bennett has shown more nastiness and willing to fight. If he can score more, maybe he can be like Timo Meier or bigger Miles Wood (but he fights a lot too)? Super annoying and can score, and very consistent.

Reactions: Dirk316

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Chris Kreider if he adds the scoring touch. I don't see any Etem in his game at all, I'm not sure I understand that one. Etem could not carry the puck on his stick at all, Jones is really good at that. His only problem has been finishing off plays - but I think that will come

Reactions: Ducks DVM

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He’s not as tough, nasty, or a fighter like Tom. He’s also not as strong and nasty as a Ferland. He’s a better skater than those two. Not sure who we can compare him to... maybe a bigger Bennett in the way he skates and forecheck, but even Bennett has shown more nastiness and willing to fight. If he can score more, maybe he can be like Timo Meier or bigger Miles Wood (but he fights a lot too)? Super annoying and can score, and very consistent.
Usually the fighting comes in the 2nd season once they don’t feel intimidated at all anymore.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Chris Kreider if he adds the scoring touch. I don't see any Etem in his game at all, I'm not sure I understand that one. Etem could not carry the puck on his stick at all, Jones is really good at that. His only problem has been finishing off plays - but I think that will come

Agree with all of this, especially the finishing part. That can elude some players early on, so to me it's nothing but a positive that almost every game we've had a "Jones could have scored there" moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad