Player Discussion Max Jones

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Can someone explain to me the benefit of signing him so soon?

From the Ducks' perspective, the only reason I can come up with is that he's now eligible to play in the NHL, if Bob and Randy choose to have him in the lineup. This does help Jones financially though, as he's guaranteed to get the signing bonus ($92,500). I have no idea what his financial situation is, maybe he needed the money? :dunno:

Jones is also eligible to play for the Gulls after London's season ends, but that doesn't really explain why the contract was signed at this time.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
The kid is going to be a Duck one day, why not sign him now and give him some cash to have to work with in a signing bonus. Ultimately, I believe he goes back to juniors, but maybe they'll have him hang around with the team for a few weeks once camp breaks to give him a taste.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Can someone explain to me the benefit of signing him so soon?
There is a tiny amount of benefit with contract sliding. Something like the signing bonuses don't slide?

But it's more of a cap benefit than a monetary one, and we're not a cap team.

I wonder why we signed him at this exact time though. You would think it should be either right after the draft, after prospect camp, or after training camp. Nothing's going on now.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Knowing Bob this took him since the draft to iron out and now realizes he needs to have an NHL team. Another month or so and we'll get a depth veteran overpaid.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What is the situation with Knights captains/assistants? Is there a chance Jones gets a letter? (on the other hand he seemed to have discipline (penalties) problems)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
10 points in 18 games for the Gulls this season. He's having a decent rookie season so far.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
The way he plays was always pro style. Just too big, too aggressive for junior. Skating and size is NHL ready. I've no clue how skilled he really is. But I think the very worst case would be a 4th line forechecker/PK guy. Realisticly he will be a middle 6 player who drives hard to the net. But in the end of the day, noone knows how players progress. Rakell was suited as a 3rd liner back then.

Reactions: Doothpick

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The way he plays was always pro style. Just too big, too aggressive for junior. Skating and size is NHL ready. I've no clue how skilled he really is. But I think the very worst case would be a 4th line forechecker/PK guy. Realisticly he will be a middle 6 player who drives hard to the net. But in the end of the day, noone knows how players progress. Rakell was suited as a 3rd liner back then.
Rakell probably is a really good third liner without Getzlaf lol

Reactions: Dmang714

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Or start threads of any scrub that don’t need to be started.

Yeah this is rather annoying.
Exactly. Not every player needs his own thread. And once one exists, it doesn’t need to be bumped every time the guy gets in the lineup or scores a goal.

My favorite is when a certain poster bumps a months old thread with a guy’s ice time and stats and says, “what do you think so far?”

If we want to see a guy’s stats or highlights, pretty sure we can manage to find them.

Reactions: Elf and KelVarnsen
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
To continue on the off topic, would it makes sense to edit the trade thread to a player discussion thread after the discussion involving the trade cools down a bit? It's just annoying to have a discussion on one player in two or more threads, when some of the discussions are already scattered in the roster or trade rumors thread.

Just my 0.02 euros.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To continue on the off topic, would it makes sense to edit the trade thread to a player discussion thread after the discussion involving the trade cools down a bit? It's just annoying to have a discussion on one player in two or more threads, when some of the discussions are already scattered in the roster or trade rumors thread.

Just my 0.02 euros.

Yes.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Well it use to be one big discussion thread, then some people here complained about having to look through a single thread to find information/discussion about a certain player and felt it killed discussion because the discussion might already have jumped to a new topic within that thread by the time you got round to it so it got changed to having individual player threads - I don't really agree with that thinking, but it is what it is.

Can't really please everyone.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014

Just my 0.02 euros.
I agree with this. Just like this thread should eventually become the player discussion thread for Max Jones. No need to create a separate thread for that.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Just curious what you guys have thought of him so far, I know hes been getting his chances.. But the boy has some size and skill. Reminds me of young Rick Nash... That's the kind of player I see him out to be. Thoughts?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just curious what you guys have thought of him so far, I know hes been getting his chances.. But the boy has some size and skill. Reminds me of young Rick Nash... That's the kind of player I see him out to be. Thoughts?

Young Rick Nash was a very productive player (he has two 40 goal years and six 30+). I've liked what I've seen from Jones, but I don't see him becoming the consistent goal scorer Nash was, he's just not on the same talent level - Nash was a justified #1 pick and a complete beast in his day.

I think the Ferland comparison someone brought up seems more in line. A very useful, physical player who provides solid but not elite scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad