Player Discussion Max Jones

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Wonder if any of the big 3 of London (Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk) are going to come back. Hopefully he gets put in more scoring situations for ample opportunities.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Source: TSN's Scouting Report

Max Jones

Hockey Sense|Competitiveness|Skating|Hands|Goal Scoring
3/5|4/5|5/5|3/5|3/5

Projection: Power Forward
"Blend of speed, power and physical intensity. Makes defenders uncomfortable and can close their space and create opportunities with his style. Excellent shot but needs to hit net more."

NHL Comparable: Dustin Brown

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
Mean, lean sonuva ***** machine.

Anyone watched him with the Knights? Got an in-person quick scouting report?

Only a bit but he can skate as well as anybody - especially for a guy his size. Decent stickhandling and a decent shot. Will score a lot of dirty goals.

mytduxfan*

He's a risky pick by the sounds of it. Could be a solid top 6er or a bottom 6 grinder/AHLer. I'm ok with the pick, but hoping for more skill with 30th OA.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Worst case scenario here IMO is Tom Wilson. Can't wait to see how he does next year if he gets more responsibility offensively in London.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Source: TSN's Scouting Report

Max Jones

Hockey Sense|Competitiveness|Skating|Hands|Goal Scoring
3/5|4/5|5/5|3/5|3/5

Projection: Power Forward
"Blend of speed, power and physical intensity. Makes defenders uncomfortable and can close their space and create opportunities with his style. Excellent shot but needs to hit net more."

NHL Comparable: Dustin Brown

So, does that mean we need a lifeguard, or an Orthopedic surgeon?

Oct 18, 2011
if you got a Wilson type player at 24 that wouldn't be terrible, but we need some high skill forwards, can he be that?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Wonder if any of the big 3 of London (Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk) are going to come back. Hopefully he gets put in more scoring situations for ample opportunities.

Of the three, Tkachuk is the most likely to be back. I don't think he has the skating or defense to play in the NHL next season. Dvorak definitely won't be back - he'll be AHL-eligible so if he doesn't make the big team in Arizona they can assign him to their AHL affiliate.

London is probably losing a lot of offense next season so will need everyone to step up. I definitely expect Jones to play a bigger role next season - he will be relied on a lot.

He's a risky pick by the sounds of it. Could be a solid top 6er or a bottom 6 grinder/AHLer. I'm ok with the pick, but hoping for more skill with 30th OA.

Where he was picked, I don't think it was risky at all.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=233448
Ranked #20 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #14 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #20 by Future Considerations
Ranked #17 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #14 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #19 by TSN/McKenzie

Max Jones is a diligent and hard-working power forward capable of being an impact player every shift. He's strong on the puck and routinely looks to create separation. He knows his game inside out and has a wide array of tools at his disposal. Strength and speed allow him to bull his way to the front of the net where he is relentless and creates havoc. Makes smart decisions with the puck and doesn't give the opposition time and space. Possesses high-end finishing ability and "wills" the puck to the back of the net. All-in-all, a determined forward who puts tremendous pressure on his opponents when he's on the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
great pick IMO. i thought he looked better than tkachuk. IMO. thought if he was on the first line could have put up 90-100 or more.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Just reading through his thread on the prospect board, and it sounds pretty intriguing. Encouraging comparables (Rick Nash, better Lucic, ...). What I especially liked reading was that he seemed to elevate his game when his star teammates were off to the WJC.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Kid can skate. I like that the highlights show him using that on the offensive and defensive side.

Some examples of him driving hard to the net, and a pretty nice release too. That's encouraging, especially for a big body.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Kid can skate. I like that the highlights show him using that on the offensive and defensive side.

Some examples of him driving hard to the net, and a pretty nice release too. That's encouraging, especially for a big body.

His release is very good. One thing I'd say about him that drove me a bit crazy this season was he has a habit of going into the corner to get the puck and then rather than either trying to create space and time for himself or finding an open teammate he'd unleash a bad angle shot. But I think this is something that can definitely be improved with time and experience. He definitely has a good tool set to work with.

I'd also point out that he saw a bunch of time this year on the Knights' second PK unit (Marner and Dvorak were the forwards on the first unit). This isn't insignificant given he was a 17 year playing his first OHL season on a really deep team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad