Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The reason many Wild fans are expressing angst over this pick is because of Flahr and Co.'s history of head scratchers in the top rounds such as Bussieres, Lucia and even Zach Phillips. Fans questioned the wisdom of these selections at the time and time has proven their concerns correct. On top of that, most of our draft picks, in general, going back to 2011 have had little to no impact in the NHL to this point outside of Brodin and Dumba.

This is pretty much it; I still remember picking Kurtis Gabriel and the outrage over that pick.

Plus given how many draft picks this team has spent on veterans that haven't worked out, we are still trying to restock the cupboards.

Also, wasn't it mentioned that his gap control is poor along with some skating issues?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is pretty much it; I still remember picking Kurtis Gabriel and the outrage over that pick.

Plus given how many draft picks this team has spent on veterans that haven't worked out, we are still trying to restock the cupboards.

Also, wasn't it mentioned that his gap control is poor along with some skating issues?

From the scouting report linked in the OP:

"Filip Johansson is a good but not great skater. He has decent speed in both directions, but it is not overwhelming. His acceleration is also above average. Johansson’s edgework and agility are plus skills. His ability to move side-to-side helps him in defending against the rush"

I don't know if we'd consider 'good but not great' or 'decent speed but not overwhelming' or 'above average' as issues necessarily, but it doesn't sound elite.

"Johansson is a smart defensive player. He has good positioning, cutting down passing and shooting lanes. He also maintains good gap control."

Then again, it's also just one guy's opinion. I really wish that the authors of articles such as these (not to just single this guy out) would describe their viewing experiences (how many games, how many in person, etc...) but I imagine that if they did that, it wouldn't show too well most of the time.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Flahr & Co has been better than under the DR era. Flahr just hasnt had any 2nd or 3rd rounders to work with, which is really what fills up a prospect pool.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Same Craig Button who drafted Jarome Iginla...drafted a future Hall of Famer...ridiculous.
Doesn't mean i want my scouts listening to him on who they draft.
He also drafted Ric Jackman...Jason Botterill....Lee Jinman...Roman Lyashenko...etc.
For what he does now he is fine...doesn't mean i want him running my team's draft.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Flahr & Co has been better than under the DR era. Flahr just hasnt had any 2nd or 3rd rounders to work with, which is really what fills up a prospect pool.

They had a 1st and three 2nds in his first draft (2010): 3 players, one bust (injuries, mostly).

They had two 1sts and a 2nd in 2011: 1 player, two busts (bad picks).

They had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2012: 1 player, two busts (bad picks).

They had no 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd in 2013: two prospects, one of whom is likely to bust (Gabriel) one somewhat likely to bust (Olofsson).

They had a 1st, no 2nd, and a 3rd in 2014: one player, one prospect.

They had a 1st, a 2nd, no 3rd in 2015: one player, one prospect, plus Kaprizov, so great haul.

They had a 1st, no 2nd, no 3rd in 2016: one legit prospect in Kunin, one possible home run (Sokolov).

They had no 1st, no 2nd in 2017: two prospects (Lodnia and Shaw). Salvageable.

They had no 2nd but a 1st and three 3rds in 2018. But I think they made several good bets. Time will tell but they have only missed once on a 1st rounder and I would bet 10,000 cryptobucks that Flahr did not have final say on Phillips or Lucia.

Lapointe is still today Chief of Amateur Scouting, and no one knows what he does (but he's a funny guy, from all accounts).

And all this is just to highlight: prospects take time, everyone misses sometimes, and other guys might still make it I didn't list. Wild are better off than many teams with their front office and hockey ops staff.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Things must really be dead around here if people are still arguing about a player none of us have ever seen. Well I guess the person that ran into him at the draft saw him...

If he was ranked 24th on draft (other people telling us what to think) boards nobody (in-general at least) would be having a problem with it, even if they never saw him play.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Things must really be dead around here if people are still arguing about a player none of us have ever seen. Well I guess the person that ran into him at the draft saw him...

If he was ranked 24th on draft (other people telling us what to think) boards nobody (in-general at least) would be having a problem with it, even if they never saw him play.
It's a long wait for FA and for this eventual trade. I want something new to discuss. :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
you dont understand its about doing the math & playing the odds. odds are this was an off the reservation high risk bad pick. just wait and see. i cant wait to say i told you so ! not that i want any wild player to fail. i predict this player at best will be a 3rd pair D, and no better than olofsson. im done debating with dreamers & posters wearing iron range red rose colored glasses. cheers.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
you dont understand its about doing the math & playing the odds. odds are this was an off the reservation high risk bad pick. just wait and see. i cant wait to say i told you so ! not that i want any wild player to fail. i predict this player at best will be a 3rd pair D, and no better than olofsson. im done debating with dreamers & posters wearing iron range red rose colored glasses. cheers.
how are you getting those odds?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Look how long people were upset about drafting Dumba instead of Trouba, and Dumba was the higher ranked player.

Reactions: 2Pair

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Truth be told, I remember a lot of grumpy fans the day the Wild drafted Brodin, another no offense d'man from Sweden: and he weight about 160 when they drafted him.

Patience grasshoppers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think you mean Colton Gillies over Max Pacioretty!
No, I meant Dumba over Trouba.

Dumba was the higher ranked player, but so many around here were absolutely in love with Trouba as a prospect and wanted nothing to do with Dumba.

Many were ticked off about that and wouldn't let it go for years... now suddenly most see the light and wouldn't trade Dumba for Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad