Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lol that’s because of this damn phone.

I know it’s couldn't care less.

It’s why I gave up trying to type moot point on this thing. You know how hard it is to keep changing it from mute?

That's actually weird about "mute" because it's actually a common mistake that people make. I guess it's also kind of close in spelling.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
BTW, I'm not knocking character. I don't think it just means that that player is a nice guy. Or even a leader. It also means that you will work hard to improve which is extremely important in this business. The problem is that "character" is usually thrown around for players that are not as skilled as other players to make them look better than they are. No one was talking about Dahlin and Svechnikov's character. And also hockey culture is really up its own ass with it. A lot of people think that these intangibles are way more important than they are. Hockey fans have a romantic view of hockey that doesn't correlate to winning as much as they think. At least not in today's game.

P.S. As a Giants fan one of my favorite things about Saquon Barkley is his character. Having your head screwed on well is extremely important in sports. However, in the NHL as I said people usually use it for future 3rd and 4th liners to rationalize why they should be drafted top 10.

I think there’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying about the use of the term “character” and I agree that it can be a crutch.

But I also think it became a way to minimize the accomplishments of players who weren’t necessarily the highlight reel types.

I’m not sure we fully realize what some out of our top prospects did out there last year — and not just as passengers.

Andersson, Chytil, Howden, and others have accomplished some amazing things as teenagers and in their D-1, D-2 years. Character is mentioned with Andersson and Howden because they often served as leaders on their teams and in multiple situations across tournaments. They helped set tones for their teams and produced in big game situations against the best of their peers.

For whatever, we tend to overlook that a bit more than we probably should.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think there’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying about the use of the term “character” and I agree that it can be a crutch.

But I also think it became a way to minimize the accomplishments of players who weren’t necessarily the highlight reel types.

I’m not sure we fully realize what some out of our top prospects did out there last year — and not just as passengers.

Andersson, Chytil, Howden, and others have accomplished some amazing things as teenagers and in their D-1, D-2 years. Character is mentioned with Andersson and Howden because they often served as leaders on their teams and in multiple situations across tournaments. They helped set tones for their teams and produced in big game situations against the best of their peers.

For whatever, we tend to overlook that a bit more than we probably should.

But notice how no one said anything about Chytil's character. Maybe he wasn't a leader on his teams, but I think character can be a personal motivation and work ethic too and he pretty clearly has it. But Chytil is a skilled guy that has through the roof upside while Andersson and Howden's upside is lower. If everything I hear is true about the latter two they can play on my team any day but I'll always go for a Chytil type rather than someone who is less skilled but has character. BTW, I was one of the few people that absolutely loved Andersson throwing his silver medal into the stands and I don't think that hunger to win is insignificant at all.

Reactions: Rongomania

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But notice how no one said anything about Chytil's character. Maybe he wasn't a leader on his teams, but I think character can be a personal motivation and work ethic too and he pretty clearly has it. But Chytil is a skilled guy that has through the roof upside while Andersson and Howden's upside is lower. If everything I hear is true about the latter two they can play on my team any day but I'll always go for a Chytil type rather than someone who is less skilled but has character. BTW, I was one of the few people that absolutely loved Andersson throwing his silver medal into the stands and I don't think that hunger to win is insignificant at all.

I think it’s actually more about personality and role in defining a team’s personality.

Ironically enough, that was somewhat evident at the draft party — Chytil spent a good chunk of time referring to Lias as their leader. From a personality standpoint, he definitely brings a different dynamic than those guys.

He’s a talented offensive foward, but I don’t think he’s really been viewed as a leader or a guy necessarily brings out the best in others — yet. Howden and Andersson have.

Likewise, we don’t really hear much about Rykov or Hajek or other younger talents being “character” guys necessarily. We didn’t really hear it with Gropp, even though he was widely recognized as a support player. We didn’t really hear it with a guy like Skjei or Pionk and I don’t think anyone would confuse them as skilled through the roof types ether.

I think we hear it with Anderson, Howden and Miller because that really is a component for them. If they make it to the NHL as regulars, I think any of them could easily wear a letter and be a guy who sets a locker room tone.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
What does "community-minded" mean? I also don't think he's any more or less well spoken or loves his mom any more or less than any other draft choice. People are reading way too much into these interviews.

He said in one of his interviews that he looks forward very much coming to New York City and being active in his community and hopes to make a difference in peoples lives.

I am not reading way too much into the interview.

I was (poorly I'm assuming) making an attempt at humor.

Contrasting what is obviously a fine, upstanding young man with his reputation as a very physical defender.

Guessed I missed you on this one.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I am not sure why everyone hates the price we paid. When STL paid to trade up, there were only a few high end options on the board, hence the additional cost. The only thing up there when STL went was Lindkvist and Bokk (not even counting Wilde because he was passed over 8 more times after the 1st round).

Because we have historical data and shuckers to go on aswell, we overpaid by a lot to trade up.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Fun 5 minute interview from K'Andre

Talks about how he watches a lot of tape on Seth Jones and strives to model his game after him (around the 4:15 mark onward he talks about his development as a Dman and the Seth Jones bit)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
BTW, I'm not knocking character. I don't think it just means that that player is a nice guy. Or even a leader. It also means that you will work hard to improve which is extremely important in this business. The problem is that "character" is usually thrown around for players that are not as skilled as other players to make them look better than they are. No one was talking about Dahlin and Svechnikov's character. And also hockey culture is really up its own ass with it. A lot of people think that these intangibles are way more important than they are. Hockey fans have a romantic view of hockey that doesn't correlate to winning as much as they think. At least not in today's game.

I think there's a very straightforward reason for this. The number of elite players in the league/world is tiny and character means less for these guys. But once you get out of the top tier of players, there really is hardly anything separating say the 100th best NHLer from the average AHLer from a purely skills standpoint. Character and a willingness to do the NHL grunt work is what decides who plays in the show and who doesn't much of the time.

It's incredibly important to get those elite players but when they're not available to you, character should be prioritized.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So...there WAS a reason Gorton traded up... Imagine that.
VERY few people are arguing that the NYR traded up for no reason. A lot of people suspect they could have moved up for a lot cheaper. Even if you are someone who feels K'Andre still would've been there without the trade you likely understand that the NYR thought he wouldn't be for whatever reason, including that they may have potentially heard something. Although why another team let everyone know what their upcoming pick would be, giving a team the chance to trade up in front of them, is beyond me. Maaaaaybe it leaked but a random source does not equal gospel

Jan 21, 2018
It's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter.

For the millenials:

giphy.gif

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Hey. Do we know how K’Andre is pronounced? Is it “kon-dray”? Or “Kay-Ondray”? Or other?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
VERY few people are arguing that the NYR traded up for no reason. A lot of people suspect they could have moved up for a lot cheaper. Even if you are someone who feels K'Andre still would've been there without the trade you likely understand that the NYR thought he wouldn't be for whatever reason, including that they may have potentially heard something. Although why another team let everyone know what their upcoming pick would be, giving a team the chance to trade up in front of them, is beyond me. Maaaaaybe it leaked but a random source does not equal gospel

It was directed at all the people that thought he'd still be there anyway and the trade was a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad