Prospect Info: With the #210 pick, the Wild select (C) Sam Hentges (NCAA, St. Cloud State)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Hentges-Sam-840x420-px.jpg

Sam Hentges at eliteprospects.com

PLAYER STATISTICS

STEAMLEAGUEGPGATPPIM+/-GPGATPPIM
2014-15
6.png
Totino-Grace High
USHS-MN253111425|Playoffs10110
2015-16
6.png
Totino-Grace High
USHS-MN2414253922|Playoffs31560
2016-17
6.png
Totino-Grace High “C”
USHS-MN2329215022|Playoffs23032
2017-18
6.png
Des Moines Buccaneers
USHL164812250|
6.png
Tri-City Storm
USHL742683|
2018-19
6.png
St. Cloud State Univ.
NCAA-----|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Only 23 games played last year, anyone know why he didn't play even half of a USHL season?

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
He made varsity his sophmore year and my Senior year of high school. My brother was a freshman at the time and said that he improved a ton from him sophmore year to his senior year. Good offensive skills, solid player all around. Looking forward to seeing what the next 4-5 years hold for this kid.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Only 23 games played last year, anyone know why he didn't play even half of a USHL season?
Well, there you go...

Part of the reason why Hentges was surprised he was drafted was he missed the last 26 games of the regular season and the postseason in juniors in the United States Hockey League because of a shoulder injury.
Hentges had to have surgery to repair labrum damage from an injury suffered in a practice with the Tri-City Storm.
"I'm starting to work out, and I'll be getting on the ice and full practicing with no contact in a couple weeks, and I'm excited about that," he said. "I'm feeling great, probably better than before I got hurt."

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And the joke about my wanting Pastrnak with the main argument point being how dynamic he was lives on.

Meanwhile, we're still looking for that dynamic player that Pastrnak has proven he would've been for us. :facepalm:

Can I just ask, since you've been patting yourself on the back on this one for a while, what were your viewings of Pastrnak back in 2013/2014? He was playing Sweden, in a league below the SHL, so I can't imagine much of the games were readily available to watch. Was it a YouTube highlight film? Was it couple of WJC games that you saw? Did you see somebody else call him "dynamic" and sort of latch onto it? A combination?

I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything, but I just don't really get how you become so sure of something where the viewings are so limited.

Reactions: 2Pair

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Can I just ask, since you've been patting yourself on the back on this one for a while, what were your viewings of Pastrnak back in 2013/2014? He was playing Sweden, in a league below the SHL, so I can't imagine much of the games were readily available to watch. Was it a YouTube highlight film? Was it couple of WJC games that you saw? Did you see somebody else call him "dynamic" and sort of latch onto it? A combination?

I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything, but I just don't really get how you become so sure of something where the viewings are so limited.
No, it's just frustrating to watch him explode this season for me... I'm not trying to pat myself on the back.

Yes, I did manage to catch a couple recorded games online after I read about him which piqued my interest. What I saw was a player the had game changing skills that we were missing, thus that's the reason I latched onto him going into that draft.

We've needed a player with that potential skill level for a long time and still do. Picking as late as we do, those players are fewer and further between, so if you believe you see one available, IMO, you have to go for it. I'd rather swing for the fences on such a player in the first round than go with a safe two way player... Tuch,I was of the belief that he was more a product of his linemates by comparison. That was proven untrue, and I was starting to appreciate Tuch as a consolation prize, but then expansion happened and we lost even that.

The only reason I brought it up here was because of the post I quoted above. My repeated use of the term dynamic became a running joke here going into that draft, and apparently that joke lives on.

Edit: BTW - I'm the first to admit I usually don't have near enough information on most players in the draft from one year to the next... it can be a challenge to get viewings to form an opinion of your own on these players. If I don't get to see anything, I have only scouting reports to rely on, I generally won't latch on to one player vs another too strongly in such a case, which is why most seasons I generally don't have a horse in the race on who we should pick, but just hope we pick towards one style player vs another.

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Saw that Hentges goal live last night. Really impressive effort.

Also - Very strong game from Perbix. Had to look him up. Another smart late pick by Tampa Bay.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, i always liked Perbix. Remember catching him live a couple of times in HS and he always impressed me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->