Prospect Info: With the #209 pick, the Wild select (C) Nick Swaney (NCAA, UMD)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Ch5sR2BUYAAr5ji.jpg

Elite Prospects Scouting Report

BIRTHYEAR 1997-09-09
BIRTHPLACE Lakeville, MN, USA
AGE 19
NATION USA
POSITION C
SHOOTS R
HEIGHT 178 cm / 5'10"
WEIGHT 73 kg / 161 lbs
NHL DRAFT 2017 round 7 #209 overall by Minnesota Wild
RANKINGS
Ranked #138 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Remember when MN players in the Entry Draft used to not be from Lakeville? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Hahaha!!! Didja have the whole old man voice saying it when you typed?

Pre-emptive collge FA signing at the draft? Hmmm. Wouldn't we lose his rights if unsigned after three years though? Center heavy draft. I really expected more defenseman picked. Maybe even a goalie.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hahaha!!! Didja have the whole old man voice saying it when you typed?

Pre-emptive collge FA signing at the draft? Hmmm. Wouldn't we lose his rights if unsigned after three years though? Center heavy draft. I really expected more defenseman picked. Maybe even a goalie.
NCAA players - it's 4yrs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am getting Fontaine vibes with this guy...oops, now that I looked more closely, Fontaine was far more productive of a college player

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Probably not a bad guy for a team to have in their back pocket, and for us especially since he's a righty, but I'm not expecting much.

Maybe a cheap option to throw out there to battle for the #3RW spot if we need to save money for other areas.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
the next Mayhew?
I think he's got more skill than Mayhew has...I think he just stays to the outside way too much.

Perimeter skill players are a dime a dozen. You need Bouchard level skill to see NHL ice if you're going to stay to the outside that much...Swaney doesn't have THAT much skill.

Who knows, maybe he can still be coached into being willing to pay the price for success. Odd things like that happen from time to time.

Mayhew is less skilled, but more willing to pay the price... he just reads the plays too slowly to be effective in the NHL overall. I'm not sure how well Swaney reads the plays overall yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad