Prospect Info: With the 207th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Patrik Virta

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's kind of disappointing, though, in that HC Slovan kind of suck. Hopefully he'll get big minutes as a result. Still would have been nice if he ended up with Jokerit, though I understand that "link" was only made because he's Finnish.

Let's all hope he has a great year in the KHL.

For that reason I actually like it. He will get good minutes in the KHL, instead of being a guaranteed 4th line center if he had gone to Jokerit. For him, it's important to play against better opposition, which you do when you have a bigger role. The guys he competes with are Hrnka, Simun and Chipchura. Chipchura will probably be the 1st line center with Virta getting every chance to grab that 2C spot.

Slovan lost guys like Boychuk, Genoway and Viedensky. Their depth took a big hit. After shopping within their region I was surprised to read Virta also ends up there. Slovan barely missed the play offs in 2017 and then collapsed last season. This is a team that is looking at ways to get back to at least being in the hunt. I don't expect them to bottom out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah I totally get the point about an expanded role and playing time, which I tried to touch on in my initial post, but my concern is more that if Slovan ends up bereft of talent, it will inhibit his offensive development. I guess we'll have to see how the roster shakes out, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Playing in the KHL is much better than playing in Liiga. Good move. Maybe in two years if he does well in the KHL he can be brought over to NHL camp, and we see if he can play in the NHL.

Reactions: Lays

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Does this guy have a chance?

Zuccarello came over when he was 23, and wasn't an NHL regular until he was 26. Not saying Virta is Zuccarello, but just because a kid is 22 and not in the NHL, doesn't mean he never will. He's a late bloomer, who has progressed nicely in Liiga the last 2 seasons. Going to the KHL is the next logical step. I could see him spend 2-3 years in the KHL and then come over.

If I had to compare his career path to anyone, Jori Lehtera comes to mind. He spent a few years in Liiga and moved to the KHL at age 22. Lehtera's numbers were much better, but the comparison can certainly be made career-wise. Not talking about upside.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
in 2 years he will be 24...

He's a 7th rounder FFS. He's always been a long shot. If he can cut it in the KHL and actually become a leader for his team and get a contract to come over at 24 who cares? Panarin was about 24-25 when he came over....and he wasn't even drafted.

Consider as well Fogarty gets drafted--post draft year in the BCHL and then 4 years at Notre Dame U. Riley Hughes--this year's 7th rounder is going to the BCHL too and then probably 4 in college too. If he's good enough to be signed by then he'll be at least 23 too and probably heading to the AHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's a 7th rounder FFS. He's always been a long shot. If he can cut it in the KHL and actually become a leader for his team and get a contract to come over at 24 who cares? Panarin was about 24-25 when he came over....and he wasn't even drafted.

Consider as well Fogarty gets drafted--post draft year in the BCHL and then 4 years at Notre Dame U. Riley Hughes--this year's 7th rounder is going to the BCHL too and then probably 4 in college too. If he's good enough to be signed by then he'll be at least 23 too and probably heading to the AHL.

I can't wait for 2020 when I can read "Yes but we should have drafted *insert some random kid who was drafted later and actually made it* instead of Virta"

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I can't wait for 2020 when I can read "Yes but we should have drafted *insert some random kid who was drafted later and actually made it* instead of Virta"

I don't know if Virta is going to make it. I have my doubts but for a 7th rounder judging off of last year's draft---he was a pretty good pick. He's got a legit shot if he keeps improving. The KHL I think is going to be a big test for him and I'm not sure that's going to be an easy jump.

Zuccarello aside I prefer smaller forwards to be goal scorers more than playmakers. That's a bias of mine I guess--but I like them digging in corners and I like them buzzing the net. That's one of the reasons I'm not crazy about Spooner. Got to get in there and compete. Ryan doesn't do that enough. Too cute. This is what I'd like to see from Virta--score more goals. The Rangers always have guys who can pass the puck---they don't have enough guys who think shoot first or who will consistently go hard to the net to get dirty goals. Lias likes to crash the net. We need more players like him.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
not yet, it seems

EliteProspects doesn't list contract date yet
Patrik Virta at eliteprospects.com

the source article also doesn't mention:
Slovan získal fínsky talent Patrika Virtu | Správy | HC SLOVAN Bratislava

also btw, per CapFriendly, Virta's rights expire next June 1st
New York Rangers Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

As far as I know, that expiration date was with him playing in Finland. Now that he's in the KHL, his rights will be retained indefinitely since there's no transfer agreement (correct me if I'm wrong)

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
interesting, Kreiderman, thanks
it hadn't occurred to me that his transfer could effect rights retention

i had always thought that rights retention was based on guidelines in place on draft day, which (i presumed) was why Pashnin remained on NYR's rights list for so long

but that was just an assumption by me
thanks

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As far as I know, that expiration date was with him playing in Finland. Now that he's in the KHL, his rights will be retained indefinitely since there's no transfer agreement (correct me if I'm wrong)
I believe it's entirely based on what league he was drafted out of, not what he's currently playing in.

Not 100% sure.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I believe it's entirely based on what league he was drafted out of, not what he's currently playing in.

Not 100% sure.

That might be the case. But looking at Lehtera as a comparable:

2008: Drafted out of Liiga
2010: Moved to KHL
2014: Signed with St Louis

I can't find any info of him being UFA but he signed with the team that drafted him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah my understanding was if you went to the KHL, your rights were retained indefinitely. Like, don't we still hold the rights to Nick Jensen because of that?

Reactions: Joey Bones

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah my understanding was if you went to the KHL, your rights were retained indefinitely. Like, don't we still hold the rights to Nick Jensen because of that?

i think Jensen (and Klingberg) are a separate concept, because they
(a)had been playing on NHL deals, (b) became RFAs, and (c) NYR QO'd them.

BUT i think that 'defected player' rights retention may have an expiration date,
because i believe NYR QO'd Valentenko, but
I think NYR may not own his rights any more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad