Prospect Info: With the 207th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Patrik Virta

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The more I read up and watch highlight videos of this guy, the more I love this pick. I honestly don't care if he's a triple overager, seems to be a player that'll come sooner rather than later.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've never seen people use the double/triple over-age label until this year. Not sure where it's coming from or why it's a big deal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With these later picks, all I want is to go for Europeans, because the NA players worth it, are always gone by this time.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I just find it hilarious that had this kid gone undrafted and went up for auction as a free agent, people would be all about him. But we picked him so that sucks.

No one is really complaining. But you're right about how everyone would be quite happy had he been signed as a FA.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I've never seen people use the double/triple over-age label until this year. Not sure where it's coming from or why it's a big deal.

It's not. I've seen some people mention it, but Gorton and co probably opted for picking more mature players since this draft wasn't as deep in the later rounds as prior years. We know these kids can perform in men's leagues at a young age. In theory, they'll be closer to figuring out whether or not they can play in the AHL/NHL, which will then help them determine what other moves they may want to pursue. I'm not crazy about the Crawley pick, but there's London fans raving about him (I never really noticed him, which I guess is a good thing as a defensive dman) when I started watching games for Rob Thomas. He can play another overage year or play in the ECHL/AHL. Technically all of our picks can play in the AHL/NHL this year except Barron I believe.

I want Andersson to get an increased role with Frolunda, just like I want Chytil to step up for Zlin. Their top C is leaving the Czech league to play in Sevrstal. Perfect opportunity for Chytil.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Before his injury he was our best player. Huge development from 2015-16 season. He got hot again in the playoffs where he scored 5goals in 6 games. He must find more consistency and routine to his game... then watch out. His shooting, passing, vision and skating are all top end. His size is a concern tho. I see his ceiling as a 50-65p top 6 forward.

Reactions: Monument

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
And something about his season that might get you more intrigued: our coach was known for heavily favoring the vets over rookies. Basically after every bad game he had his ice-time got significantly reduced to the next game. I don't know whether the aforementioned was the reason or not, but many of our coach's big ice-time players got injured in the end of the regular season. This meant more responsibility for Virta in the playoffs: he answered the call great. He took over a couple of games showing flashes of pure brilliance while scoring 6p in 6 games.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Very nice write up, i like him :) Think he stays in Finland another year or tries his luck in AHL?
Stays in Finland, he has a contract signed. Many of us believed some KHL team grabbing him before his injury (often happens to the teams with lesser budgets). I believe staying in TPS (not bias at all :laugh:) is best for him. With our new coach he will get tons of ice-time. He's a former junior coach and has coached Rantanen and Ristolainen for example. They both played at 16-year-olds in the FEL because he told our management they will need tougher games. He also got some nobody named Patrik Laine to the u17 national team as an underager. We signed another drafted overager Petrus Palmu from the OHL because of him too.

Last edited:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I can provide you how he's looking the next season in this thread of you're interested :)? I have a season ticked and will attend probably 80% of the games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can provide you how he's looking the next season in this thread of you're interested :)? I have a season ticked and will attend probably 80% of the games.

That would be great, we'd all appreciate it. Either here or the Prospects Thread we have stickied.

Also, can I ask your thoughts on Tarmo Reunanen and whether you think he can stick with TPS this season? A second year in Mestis would seemingly not bode well for his future chances of making the NHL.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
That would be great, we'd all appreciate it. Either here or the Prospects Thread we have stickied.

Also, can I ask your thoughts on Tarmo Reunanen and whether you think he can stick with TPS this season? A second year in Mestis would seemingly not bode well for his future chances of making the NHL.
I remember watching Reunanen in TPS' juniors, he was dominant back then. He has been just very unlucky with the injuries so far and his development has stalled pretty long now; it was very evident when I watched a couple of TUTO's games this season, he is simply physically lacking against men. The skill is there still obviously. One healthy offseason could do wonders, but I don't think he can overtake Martin Berger in pecking order for example. I actually think another season in Mestis wouldn't be too bad, at least he will get to play a lot. Don't know if you remember a former Minnesota Wild's dman Petteri Nummelin, but he plays there too. According to Reunanen, he has been a great mentor for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Before his injury he was our best player. Huge development from 2015-16 season. He got hot again in the playoffs where he scored 5goals in 6 games. He must find more consistency and routine to his game... then watch out. His shooting, passing, vision and skating are all top end. His size is a concern tho. I see his ceiling as a 50-65p top 6 forward.

He plays for your team? Terrific news.

Can you please give us like monthly updates during the season? Maybe weekly if you want, but that may be pushing it to ask that much.

We'd really appreciate it, and I appreciate your Chytil opinions as well that I've seen around the site. :)

Edit: I see this was already asked. Thanks though, once again.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
He plays for your team? Terrific news.

Can you please give us like monthly updates during the season? Maybe weekly if you want, but that may be pushing it to ask that much.

We'd really appreciate it, and I appreciate your Chytil opinions as well that I've seen around the site. :)

Edit: I see this was already asked. Thanks though, once again.
Yeah I can do that, no problem :)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Holy ****. This is Tony Virta's KID? Wow. Time flies.

I was thinking the same :laugh:

Tony Virta was a good player in his day, his NHL debut was highly anticipated, had great seasons in Finland, came over and was not bad, didn't catch on though and went back to Finland.

This pick is what it is, 7th rounder, just hope he has half the game Fast brings.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was thinking the same :laugh:

Tony Virta was a good player in his day, his NHL debut was highly anticipated, had great seasons in Finland, came over and was not bad, didn't catch on though and went back to Finland.

This pick is what it is, 7th rounder, just hope he has half the game Fast brings.

That's 2 years in a row we go with an NHL-ers kid in the 7th

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Surprised no one has mentioned yet on here that Virta had something like a 59.7 CF% this year. Josh Khalfin posted it after we drafted him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->