Prospect Info: With the #196 pick, Minnesota selects Dmitry Sokolov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He doesn't have to have amazing straight away speed, but he needs to get a better first step and he really needs to be shiftier laterally because of his amazing shot, which would be deadly if he can find all the soft spots.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He goes from last place in the division to first and gets to play with Team Russia mate and 2018 draft target Andrei Svechnikov. With 38 points, Sokolov would lead the Colts, so they're not exactly a powerhouse. Should be a good opportunity for him.

I have to add: this kid is a long bet to play as many NHL games as Rob Schremp, to say nothing of Yakupov. This is not a slow man's league anymore.

Agreed, I only brought up Schremp because he's a well known example of the point I was making. My point was that he's a long shot if he doesn't develop another dimension to his game.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I had completely written him off after the WJC. Glad that he seems to be making that look like a stupid decision.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Sokolov with 23 pts. in 12 games for Barrie, and is a +2.

The difference a team with talent can make. I am curious about something though: coaching. I know Stillman was working on making Dmitri more of a two-way player. I wonder what his current coach is having him do? Obviously scoring is a major part of it, but the kid picks up points regardless. I wonder how he's been in other facets of his game since joining Barrie. Is he focused more on offense, or is he just playing harder now that he's got something to play for?

Just realized these posts are in the Ryan White thread. Awkward.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Good signing. Excited to see how he does next year. I have a 1-3 year timeline on him to see the Wild with any consistency though so this is more for the future which is nice to have.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
https://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099

Came across this link on the prospects board. Thought it was fairly interesting.

Sokolov dropped like a rock his draft year. He played though a pretty bad shoulder (IIRC) injury and everyone started questioning everything about his game and fitness level.

I still think he just fell though the cracks of teams draft boards after he wasn't drafted by the end of the 3rd round. A death spiral of this guy should be gone but isn't, so there must be something seriously wrong with his character.

I was pretty stoked and thought this pick was a steal.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Sokolov dropped like a rock his draft year. He played though a pretty bad shoulder (IIRC) injury and everyone started questioning everything about his game and fitness level.

I still think he just fell though the cracks of teams draft boards after he wasn't drafted by the end of the 3rd round. A death spiral of this guy should be gone but isn't, so there must be something seriously wrong with his character.

I was pretty stoked and thought this pick was a steal.

The pick is still a steal. His character doesn't seem to be an issue and never has been.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He's a good skater but not elite, he's got an NHL ready elite shot arsenal, he's THICCCCC, and he seems like a good kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->