Prospect Info: With the 186th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Mathew Hill

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Part 1: Honorable Mentions

"At 6'3 and nearly 200lbs, Hill offers upside as a potentially elite stay at home defender at the OHL level. His defensive IQ is quite high and as he becomes more confident, I bet we will see him turn into a physically dominant player in his own end. His skating is pretty good for a defender of his size and ability too. But his puck skill is very limited right now. He will need to improve his exit pass and ability to handle the puck under pressure. He will never be an elite offensive defender, but rarely do NHL teams use picks on one dimensional defensive defenders these days, because of the speed of the pro game now."

Reactions: The Baffled King

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Here's another article on Mathew Hill:

Barrie Colts 2019 Draft Prospect: Mathew Hill #OHL #NHLDraft - Very Barrie Colts | A website covering the Barrie Colts of the OHL.

"The 2018-19 season saw the team depend more on Hill, having him play in 65 games. Hill was able to post a couple of goals and 11 assists in that time. He was very strong for the Colts defensively, concluding the season with a +/- of 7. Not overwhelming, however, it was the highest on the team tied with Buffalo Sabres prospect Matej Pekar. Hill really stood out defensively and was a physical threat. He was aggressive but was able to play disciplined and stay out of the penalty box which was a struggle for the team overall. "

"Very reliable in his zone and has the ability to slow the game down and make good choices to clear the zone. Hill was very tough to play against below the dots and punished opponents trying to work the puck deep in the zone. He also has decent hands and did an excellent job of stealing the puck from opponents."

"If Hill can improve his offensive game, he could become a top defenceman in the OHL level. With his size and potential, I expect to see him get selected at the NHL Draft by a team that did their homework, despite going unnoticed by Central Scouting. As he continues to develop, I believe he has all the tools to become a solid NHL player. "

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I hate to be that guy, but could we edit the title to remove the space between the Duck and s in "Duck s." My OCD thanks you in advance. As for Hill, fine defenseman but I'm naturally skeptical of Matthews with only one "t" in their name..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad