Prospect Info: With the #178 pick, the Wild select (C) Andrei Svetlakov (KHL, CSKA Moskva)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
450px-Euro_Hockey_Challenge%2C_Switzerland_vs._Russia%2C_22nd_April_2017_16.JPG

Elite Prospects Scouting Report.

BIRTHYEAR 1996-04-06
BIRTHPLACE Moskva, RUS
AGE 21
NATION Russia
POSITION C
SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 182 cm / 6'0"
WEIGHT 92 kg / 203 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Severnaya Zvezda Moskva
CONTRACT 19/20
NHL DRAFT 2017 round 6 #178 overall by Minnesota Wild

RANKINGS
Ranked #48 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Older guy... 21. Didn't put up eye-popping numbers. Average size. Huh.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well, he will play with Kaprizov this year. He hasn't yet.

Late round Russian with some KHL experience. Worth a shot I guess.

Is he a true center (too many prospects get listed as centers) or will he be a wing in Moscow next year?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, Svetlakov has been steadily progressing for the last a couple of years. So far he looks like a future bottom6 C in the NHL, but he can improve his game. He isn't Plotnikov or Lyubimov type of a player, he's pretty skillful with the puck.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well, Svetlakov has been steadily progressing for the last a couple of years. So far he looks like a future bottom6 C in the NHL, but he can improve his game. He isn't Plotnikov or Lyubimov type of a player, he's pretty skillful with the puck.

What's his game like? If he's physical (not afraid of contact), defensive minded, decent passer, can win FO's, and play at the NHL level; I'll be happy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

With the draft the Wild just had, all he'll have to be able to do is tie his own skates, not **** off Kaprizov, and we'll be good.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With the draft the Wild just had, all he'll have to be able to do is tie his own skates, not **** off Kaprizov, and we'll be good.

I laughed at this. Thanks 57.

I'm wondering if we're trying to sweeten the pot to get Kaprizov to come over here. With the rumor he was one of the prospects that Fletcher offered Las Vegas to take Haula and some whispering Kaprizov isn't going to sign, I wonder how true it is.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What's his game like? If he's physical (not afraid of contact), defensive minded, decent passer, can win FO's, and play at the NHL level; I'll be happy.

He's gritty and does what bottom6 centers usually do, but he has his moments of brilliance. And he is a good playmaker. We'll see how he will look on CSKA under new management. Kvartalnov's hockey was kinda classic Canadian hit & run hockey, where it's hard to display a lot of skill being a bottom6 forward.

The next season CSKA will probably play different, and there is a chance Svetlakov is the team's 2C (behind Shalunov) and centers Kaprizov.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's gritty and does what bottom6 centers usually do, but he has his moments of brilliance. And he is a good playmaker. We'll see how he will look on CSKA under a new management. Kvartalnov's hockey was kinda classic Canadian hit & run hockey, where it's hard to display a lot of skill being a bottom6 forward.

The next season CSKA will probably play different, and there is a chance Svetlakov is the team's 2C (behind Shalunov) and centers Kaprizov.

Would be pretty cool to bring them both over in 18-19, though I have no idea what Svetlakov's contract situation looks like. I doubt we'd have trouble making room for a bottom-6 C though; we always seem to be looking for one.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Would be pretty cool to bring them both over in 18-19, though I have no idea what Svetlakov's contract situation looks like. I doubt we'd have trouble making room for a bottom-6 C though; we always seem to be looking for one.

Well, Svetlakov is signed through 2020, so it looks like he won't come anytime soon. But with a new KHL policy and lower salary cap, it's hard to say what will happen even in a season or two.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I'm gonna go ahead and call it now...

Kaprizov Svetlakov Sokolov

Kap..Sveter (Sweater)...Socks It's the clothesline! :sarcasm:
Well played sir, well played. Cheers.

The Kaprizov whispers are why I am not a fan of drafting Russian players. KHL leverage. We're in the later rounds, so any expectations are lower anyway. So whatever happens with him happens

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He must be pretty good if he gets national team callups. Could be a solid bottom 6 center down the road.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Today is the first time I've watched him but he doesn't look bad. Looks bigger than 6'0 also. Wouldn't mind the Wild taking a flyer on Grigorenko either. I don't think anyone has his NHL rights at this time.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Hasn't improved his stats since his draft year, but I've never seen him play nor do I know his playing situation. I can't make a judgement. Is he pretty good with a two way game?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hasn't improved his stats since his draft year, but I've never seen him play nor do I know his playing situation. I can't make a judgement. Is he pretty good with a two way game?
Apparently so. The team that he is on is pretty loaded, so his role tends to limit his opportunities for offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad