The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Nickmo82

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Ah, the hindsight approach when criticizing draft picks. Genius

Whenever I hear people criticizing draft picks in hindsight, I always encourage them to pick out the players who will be immensely better than our picks in this most recent draft. Surprisingly, things get quiet.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Whenever I hear people criticizing draft picks in hindsight, I always encourage them to pick out the players who will be immensely better than our picks in this most recent draft. Surprisingly, things get quiet.

Players I was right about: Kucherov, Arvidsson
Players I was wrong about: McColgan, Morrison, Josefson, Schneider

It's a crap shoot and nobody knows on draft day who will be a solid NHL player once you get to day 2

Reactions: Charlie Conway

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
but look what they did in the 2ed round makes me want to puke Gropp, Halverson, Nieves (although a tweener, could have been picked in the 5th round)

Robertson and Henriksson do look very promising but it is still too early

The second round has been a challenge for them over the last 20 years, and has been very hit and miss. You have hits like Tutin, Anisimov, Sauer and Stepan, but you also have a lot of misses since 2009. This also isn't helped by them not having a second round pick 4 times between 2011 and 2017.

Hopefully 2018 and 2019 produce some solid results, because that extra firepower is going to be needed over the next decade. Obviously having a bunch of prospects come from the plethora of first round picks is essential, but depth will have to come from the second round and beyond. Robertson, Henriksson, and Lindbom definitely have potential, and I think we also have to consider Fox as a return on a second round investment.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Some of my former students that attend Cornell got me to a game last season. Barron stood out every single shift and looked like he should be playing in a different league. Physically mature already... looked almost like Dan Girardi (physically... calm down you crazy kids). The knock on him was his lack of offense but I didn't see that all. Plays both ends, controls the puck, makes things happen and can score. I'll be going back up in January for a game and hope he continues improving. Personally, I'm hoping he comes into camp next season and forces Gorton's hand as and under the radar type of prospect that could eventually be part of the long term plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Some of my former students that attend Cornell got me to a game last season. Barron stood out every single shift and looked like he should be playing in a different league. Physically mature already... looked almost like Dan Girardi (physically... calm down you crazy kids). The knock on him was his lack of offense but I didn't see that all. Plays both ends, controls the puck, makes things happen and can score. I'll be going back up in January for a game and hope he continues improving. Personally, I'm hoping he comes into camp next season and forces Gorton's hand as and under the radar type of prospect that could eventually be part of the long term plan.

does he play with an edge, or is he good along the boards and uses his size that way. does he make hits or is more passive? is he physical, does he go through people physically to score, does he go to the net? not familiar with him because I have not watched him much to be honest. would he be compared to Andres Lee or is he a better skater and more like Kreider type of player??

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What's the deal with this kid? Is he finishing 4 years or will he make the jump next year?

Is it possible for this manchild to leap frog Howden and Lias? Last I've seen is him listed at 6'4 220lbs. He continues to improve.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
What's the deal with this kid? Is he finishing 4 years or will he make the jump next year?

Is it possible for this manchild to leap frog Howden and Lias? Last I've seen is him listed at 6'4 220lbs. He continues to improve.
We shouldn’t rush Barron like we rushed Lias and Howden. I’d give him a year or two in Hartford.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Probably signs after this season, and expect a winger out of him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still want to see him put together a complete, dominant season from start to finish. No tailing off. Play well all year and finish strong.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Probably signs after this season, and expect a winger out of him

Does anyone have any numbers on Barron playing wing and playing center? I've seen a handful of games last season, just saw him a few weeks ago at MSG and plan on catching a game in January. Every time I've seen him play he's been at center and has stood out but yet I hear he's been getting a lot of time at wing. Just curious because I do think he has a future with the Rangers.
I agree and think he'll sign after this season is over and he should push for a roster spot out of camp.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ive seen him multiple times. im little over an hour from lynah rink in ithaca. the big red are for real this year. the goalie galajda looks legit. overall very strong well coached team.

this kid is a mountain. power forward type. hes big, he can move and hes got a nice set of hands. he can score. on a cycle or when he has possession, hes a handful. theres alot here, question is, does it project?

park him on the pp and let him clean up the trash. net front he will be a nightmare.

hes still raw and needs some polish. he needs to improve his conditioning and get stronger.

the boom potential here is enormous. one of the best prospects no one talks about. wears a C as well.

Last edited:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
ive seen him multiple times. im little over an hour from lynah rink in ithaca. the big red are for real this year. the goalie galajda looks legit. overall very strong well coached team.

this kid is a mountain. power forward type. hes big, he can move and hes got a nice set of hands. he can score. on a cycle or when he has possession, hes a handful. theres alot here, question is, does it project?

park him on the pp and let him clean up the trash. net front he will be a nightmare.

hes still raw and needs some polish. he needs to improve his conditioning and get stronger.

the boom potential here is enormous. one of the best prospects no one talks about. wears a C as well.
Sounds like an Anders Lee type to me.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Does anyone have any numbers on Barron playing wing and playing center? I've seen a handful of games last season, just saw him a few weeks ago at MSG and plan on catching a game in January. Every time I've seen him play he's been at center and has stood out but yet I hear he's been getting a lot of time at wing. Just curious because I do think he has a future with the Rangers.
I agree and think he'll sign after this season is over and he should push for a roster spot out of camp.
He may take draws or something but he's generally exclusively on the wing and has been since as Freshman.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I would not mind this. Hopefully Barron can learn to fight if he does not. big kid. i would love a meaner skilled version of Lee or Kreider. does Barron skate well like Kreider or like Lee?
The whole league would. And a guy like that would almost certainly not be available where we drafted Barron.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think he's the quintessential guy where they've seen enough in college and want to get their hands on him so that they can take over his coaching and conditioning.

BUT I think they'll do this anticipating he'll spend a full season in HFD next year.

I think the Rangers will try to sign him this summer, but ultimately it's up to him.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i see this kid as more of a defensive 2 way guy who can play a shut down role but can also play that chris kreider role on a PP. hes a very good college forward right now but as a pro, i see him as less of a scorer and more of a bottom 6 power edge guy.

we need to temper the expectations offensively. his hands are there and hes got some ability to finish. again, does it translate to the score sheet ?

he needs to find that unique skill set that will make him an effective nhl player. hes got size and hands and understands the defensive game at the college level, can he continue to develop ?

i also see a more effective wing here as a pro. 3C or a power winger ? probably on the edge. we will see but no question, his development is opening eyes.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I see Barron finishing college before turning pro

I don't see it. I think he has a good chance to be an NHLer beyond ELC so taking steps toward pro-hockey career at this point is more relevant than completing a degree, even if it's from an Ivy league school.

If I recall correctly I thought the Ranger wanted him to turn pro after last season, no?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Players I was right about: Kucherov, Arvidsson
Players I was wrong about: McColgan, Morrison, Josefson, Schneider

It's a crap shoot and nobody knows on draft day who will be a solid NHL player once you get to day 2

I feel like if we beat the curve of management we are doing okay.

I was right at the draft about Fox (wanted to trade up in the third) Mcilrath, and Halverson. Was super wrong about Stepan and Jessiman.

Mcilrath was easy- I wanted Cam Fowler.

My Galaxy brain plan to draft Jared Staal over Stepan however would probably have set us back further than the previous corrections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad