Prospect Info: With the 174th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Morgan Barron

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I actually started a project a few years back based around the "what if you just let go of al your scouting staff, used the money elsewhere and drafted based on another company's work?" question. Sadly it was on a laptop that I don't have any more, but based on 3 teams at the time (EDM, OTT and us) it was looking like you'd end up with a pretty good draft until the 5th round.

I think one of the Canucks bloggers did a study a few years ago that found if the Canucks had just drafted the highest scoring forward available at each of their picks they would have drafted more NHL players than they actually did.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I think one of the Canucks bloggers did a study a few years ago that found if the Canucks had just drafted the highest scoring forward available at each of their picks they would have drafted more NHL players than they actually did.

I got the idea from either a Nucks or Flyers blogger who compared their team's GM drafting to that done by hamster :) The only issue is that they were using hindsight to point out all the players that could have been selected instead. My premise was that you had to take highest listed player not yet drafted. The more you look at it the more you see that drafting really is still an inexact science

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

What does that mean though? Does that mean the highest scoring prospect in New England HS hockey vs. the highest scoring OHL player on the board? Lots of variables there with league and age and all that.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
What does that mean though? Does that mean the highest scoring prospect in New England HS hockey vs. the highest scoring OHL player on the board? Lots of variables there with league and age and all that.

I can't find the article but I'm pretty sure they limited it to CHL forwards only.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Yea that's it

Took me ages to find :)
As someone pointed out, the issue with it (as an example) is that in 2003 they say that they'd have Mike Richards instead of Kesler, but Nigel Dawes outscored him so should have been their 1st round pick

Dec 13, 2010
I live near St. Andrews College now and have seen him quite a bit over the last few years. His upside is really intriguing but there's a big chance he never plays top 6 minutes in the AHL if he doesn't improve significantly. I think Cornell is a good spot for him to develop his physical game and play away from the puck. Nice player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I live near St. Andrews College now and have seen him quite a bit over the last few years. His upside is really intriguing but there's a big chance he never plays top 6 minutes in the AHL if he doesn't improve significantly. I think Cornell is a good spot for him to develop his physical game and play away from the puck. Nice player.

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
If some miraculous reason that Morgan Barron doesn't play for Cornell in the Fall, his CHL rights belong to the Saint John Sea Dogs!!

What's wrong with playing for Cornell? Produced some nice players in recent years - Douglas Murray, Matt Moulson, Colin Greening, Riley Nash ...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
What's wrong with playing for Cornell? Produced some nice players in recent years - Douglas Murray, Matt Moulson, Colin Greening, Riley Nash ...

had he been picked higher, i could see him making that move,
like JT did (decommitted from NoDak, played OHL at Plymout i believe)

but college hockey, as we know, makes good hockey players -
some argue the fewer games allows more time for fitness

i love ECAC hockey, and hope to see him at Baker Rink

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With Morgan Barron, we are one step closer to having a nobility line-up made up of either NHL players or draft picks. I refer to this as "a noble effort" haha. Alright, I will shut up now. Free agency needs to start!!!

Forwards:
Morgan Barron-Jared Knight-Jaromir Jagr
Reid Duke-Laurent Dauphin-Shane Prince
David Pope-Dwight King-Steve Junker
Robbie Earl

On defense:
Kris King-Marek Malik
Alex Edler-Danny DeKeyzer

In goal:
Patrick Roy

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With Morgan Barron, we are one step closer to having a nobility line-up made up of either NHL players or draft picks. I refer to this as "a noble effort" haha. Alright, I will shut up now. Free agency needs to start!!!

Forwards:
Morgan Barron-Jared Knight-Jaromir Jagr
Reid Duke-Laurent Dauphin-Shane Prince
David Pope-Dwight King-Steve Junker
Robbie Earl

On defense:
Kris King-Marek Malik
Alex Edler-Danny DeKeyzer

In goal:
Patrick Roy

1) Doesn't Jagr--translate to hunter. Is that royal?

2) Kris King never played defense in his life. He was a winger.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Not a horrible pick, I like that he has size and that he'll be attending Cornell. Dman Nick Leivermann, Notre Dame commit, would have been my pick.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Nothing is wrong with it, just stating that his CHL rights belong to Saint John's. Think the NCAA is better suited for him. :)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Miller was always on the fast track to the NHL--and IMO the CHL was the better option for him. Barron is going to need some years of development IMO that might take him past his 21st birthday so college hockey IMO is a better place for him to be--besides that it will be better for him to have a college degree if he doesn't develop enough as a hockey player.

Reactions: leetch99

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I actually started a project a few years back based around the "what if you just let go of al your scouting staff, used the money elsewhere and drafted based on another company's work?" question. Sadly it was on a laptop that I don't have any more, but based on 3 teams at the time (EDM, OTT and us) it was looking like you'd end up with a pretty good draft until the 5th round.

I've actually argued before that that if you put a comittee together of some of the top posters from these boards, you could probably put together a very solid first three rounds. And in many cases, have more success than a lot of teams and more than a few "experts" who get paid to do this for a living.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad