Prospect Info: With the #169 pick, the Wild select Reid Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Reid Duke (C/RW 2014 Round 6 #169 Overall)

REID_DUKE_042314.jpg

Reid Duke
Lethbridge Hurricanes
6th Rd. #169 Overall
Twitter Profile

Year | Team | GP | G | A | P | PIM
2012-2013 | Lethbridge Hurricanes | 57 | 8 | 16 | 24 | 30
| Canada Pacific WHC U17 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 0
2013-2014 | Lethbridge Hurricanes | 62 | 15 | 25 | 40 | 91
2014-2015 | Lethbridge Hurricanes | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
2014-2015 | Brandon Wheat Kings | 52 | 20 | 31 | 51 | 66
  • Eliteprospects.com Player Profile
    Birthyear: 1996-01-28
    Birthplace: Calgary, AB, CAN
    Nation: Canada
    Position: C
    Shoots: R
    Height: 183 cm / 6'0"
    Weight: 85 kg / 187 lbs
    Duke is quickly developing into an 'all-round', responsible player in all three zones. The 5-foot-11 forward is responsible in the defensive end while still showing some creativity in the opponent's end. He continues to show flashes of an elite skill set but hasn't been able to display them consistently. (October, 2013).
  • Lastwordonsports.com Player Profile
    92. Reid Duke, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (6’0″ 190 lbs): Scored 15 goals and 40 points in 62 games for Lethbridge this season. He was a solid two-way player, who showed hard work, grit and physical play in all three zones, and defensive responsibility. A good skater, with solid speed, decent acceleration and good edgework and agility. Could stand to work on core strength and balance though. Offensively he is a very good playmaker with strong vision and passing skills. His shot is underrated and he needs to use it more often.
  • WHL From Above Player Profile
    #19 - Reid Duke - Lethbridge Hurricanes - C - R - 6'0 - 188

Duke is a dynamic offensive player for the Hurricanes. He possesses a strong and powerful skating stride, with a slightly hunched over posture. He's extremely quick and agile. He has a very dangerous ability to shoot the puck both off the rush and in the form of a one-timer. His effort level and compete was inconsistent in my viewings, but did appear to elevate the more the year went on. His play away from the puck is another area of concern for him going forward. He would be another guy that I think NHL teams would be fairly split on but there would be very good value on him if he slips into the back half of the 4th round or later.

Top End NHL Potential: Borderline top 6 forward

Pick Prediction: 5th round
  • Lethbridge's Duke using U-18 snub as motivation
    CALGARY -- Reid Duke needn't look far for inspiration. For the most part, he can just look across the gym.

Duke, a center for the Lethbridge Hurricanes in the Western Hockey League, has spent the past month training alongside Red Deer Rebels center Conner Bleackley at Crash Conditioning in Calgary's southeast.

At least that was the case until Bleackley received his invitation to represent Canada at the IIHF World Under-18 Championship.

And while Bleackley and many of his other peers are at the Under-18 tournament in Finland chasing a gold medal, Duke is left chasing a different goal after scoring 15 goals and 40 points in 62 games for the last-place Hurricanes in 2013-14.
  • TheHockeyWriters Player Profile
    On the surface, his numbers aren’t too great. 40 points isn’t amazing, though that’s third-best on the WHL’s worst team (by a country mile). His plus/minus was pretty bad (minus-47), but it was also on the WHL’s most scored-upon team. And he had 91 penalty minutes – including 38 minor penalties – but that was also on the WHL’s most penalized team.

Okay, 38 minors in 62 games isn’t great, and he tended to take penalties in bunches. But on a team with serious problems with off-ice distractions, Duke played as responsible 200-foot game one could play under the circumstances and steadily increased his offensive production from the previous season. He was quietly one of the Dub’s better face-off men, despite his team’s circumstances.

Duke’s a project. His counting stats are not great, but odds are some team will take a peek at game tape and decide that his numbers were more representative of the on (and off)-ice turmoil that was the 2013-14 Lethbridge Hurricanes and bank on a change of scenery (and perhaps some better teammates) could help Duke grow into a productive pro.
  • Yahoo blog draft tracker
    It goes without saying that Reid Duke’s season has entailed its share of obstacles on the last-place Lethbridge Hurricanes. It would have been easy for him to ask for a change of scenery just as several of his former teammates did, but the 18-year-old remained loyal to the organization that chose him with the fifth overall pick of the 2011 bantam draft.

“I knew that I should stick it out with the team for a lot of reasons,†says Duke, who was ranked 65th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting Service. “I sat down with my parents and agent and we all agreed that I should stay with the Hurricanes. They drafted me and they needed players to stick by them during this tough time. It was just the right thing to do – it’s important to stand by your team.â€

Even though the 6-foot, 188-pound centre is only in his second season in the league, Duke took on a leadership role because of his team’s fragile situation.
DD2_013_slide.jpg

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
WHL From Above

#19 - Reid Duke - Lethbridge Hurricanes - C - R - 6'0 - 188

Duke is a dynamic offensive player for the Hurricanes. He possesses a strong and powerful skating stride, with a slightly hunched over posture. He's extremely quick and agile. He has a very dangerous ability to shoot the puck both off the rush and in the form of a one-timer. His effort level and compete was inconsistent in my viewings, but did appear to elevate the more the year went on. His play away from the puck is another area of concern for him going forward. He would be another guy that I think NHL teams would be fairly split on but there would be very good value on him if he slips into the back half of the 4th round or later.

Top End NHL Potential: Borderline top 6 forward

Pick Prediction: 5th round

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Wow!That's very intriguing.More then likely he'll never be anything more then the 2014 version of Christoph Bertschy but maybe just maybe...

Plus, he played on a TERRIBLE Lethbridge team this year, maybe when they start getting their act together, Duke will shine next season.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
HP " ...strong skater with good speed and agility...his effort level varied from time to time...willing to go to the tough areas...finishes checks...one of the best draft eligible players in the faceoffs...good offensive skills, has an edge, and competes defensively..."

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I think this may be the best pick of ours of the last three rounds.

On a very weak team he put up 40 points and was apparently adequate in all three zones. Hopefully he can get close to or crack PPG this season with a more experienced team. They have the third pick in the CHL import draft so they are going to get some help there.

Lethbridge might not become a top 5 team in the WHL, but it will be an improved group. Hopefully Duke can elevate his game and help his team out.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He sounds like a right-handed version of Erik Haula. Good two-way centers are always in demand. Only knock on him seems to be lack of strength and balance as well as offensive inconsistency. First two are easy to work on by simply hitting the gym and working on skating, and offense depends largely not only on your skill but your linemates, role and even some puck luck.

Either way, this sounds like another typical Flahr pick. Nothing spectacular, just a very solid two-way guy with upside. Surprised to see him fall this far based on the scouting reports though.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
That's interesting. Wonder what the Wild brass think. They've already had two guys pull out of college early to go to the CHL and kept another player from his CHL team until he was traded. I'm guessing whatever he does is with the Wild's blessing to get the best development.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
An interesting turn in this story:

@CTVDarrell: Agent tells me Reid Duke will report to Lethbridge in 'matter of days' - USHL 'took a flyer on him' won't happen. Good news for Canes fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->