Prospect Info: With the 13th Overall Pick the Golden Knights Select Nick Suzuki

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
His skills are tailor-made for today's NHL.

Excellent offensive instincts, high IQ, explosive.

On talent, he's up there with most anyone in the top 10. Easily.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Welcome to Vegas Nick! Man with a name like that we gotta come up with a good nickname heheh...

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Although not the biggest player, his speed and quickness might play well in today's game. Could keep the fans awake during those (not-unexpected and all-too-frequent) dismal stretches of an expansion team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I read somewhere that at a recent prospect combine, Suzuki topped all the analytics results and in a couple of cases it wasn't even close.

Might be the steal of the draft for the Knights.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I read somewhere that at a recent prospect combine, Suzuki topped all the analytics results and in a couple of cases it wasn't even close.

I'm one of the combine skeptics.

I. E. Middelstadt. Poor upper body strength at 18 years old doesn't mean anything if he has never trained before, and he's a thick kid (not too fat)

I see the argument of work ethic if they come in at the top of the results, but I also see the argument for more room to improve if you test poorly.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

I'm also a skeptic wrt the draft, only thing I think is valuable is the cardio assessment side of things, which really ends up showing in ice time as well. Definitely more of a "watch what tape I can get my hands on" type of enthusiast when it comes to the draft.

Suzuki is definitely in that mix as a guy who will surprise. For me, though, the best value for the pick was Hague. And not only that, but I also think, as I mentioned in the Hague thread, that he has some elements to him that might debunk the typical "long development time for big defensemen" tendency. The guy is big, and strong, but also moves well and knows how to use his size.

Drafts are such crap shoots, granted, that you just don't know what a 17 year old kid is going to become. But yeah I really like our chances on a lot of these picks. I think we're in for a great time watching them develop over the next few years.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oh and btw re: his nickname... How bout Suzuki SAMURAI!? Wouldn't surprise me if he's been called that too lol.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
C

If you mean the NHL Combine then his results in the Top 25 were:

#9 in Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration
#9 in VO2max (ml/kg/min)
#20 in Pro Agility Right
#24 in Vertical Jump with 19.85 inches

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you mean the NHL Combine then his results in the Top 25 were:

#9 in Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration
#9 in VO2max (ml/kg/min)
#20 in Pro Agility Right
#24 in Vertical Jump with 19.85 inches

No, that's not the one I meant. I don't recall which it was, but there was a spreadsheet showing a slew of offensive skill and statistical categories by which the draft class was rated, and Suzuki, IIRC, was at the top of nearly all of them.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He can make smart plays, pass and shoot. But those who think he's fast: He has decent speed, but that is DEFINITELY not enough. He needs to develop a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad