Prospect Info: With the 123rd Overall Pick the Rangers Select Brandon Crawley

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Another example of why it's just not good to post stuff in public on the web.

Ooooops.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Wait. Did you seriously just say you'd be upset if this guy ended up as Girardi? A mid round pick becoming a 10-year NHLer would UPSET you?

This ****ing board. Jesus ****ing Christ.

I'm pretty sure he'd be upset if the guy ended up having the exact same skill set that Girardi had. That type of skillset is no longer useful in the NHL.

I don't think anyone would be unhappy with a 10 year NHLer, regardless their style of play, at pick 123.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If he can skate well enough and make that first pass then he has a legit shot at least some time in the future. There seems to be a lot of compete and some edge to his game and that's not a bad thing either.

Maybe we're about the last NHL team he'd like to play for but beggars can't be choosers.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Done defending this scouting staff. Time to put them out to pasture. You pass up a player like Reedy just to trade down and take a mediocre skating overager.

Nothing like judging a 4th round pick right after it's made when chances are you know nothing about the player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm pretty sure he'd be upset if the guy ended up having the exact same skill set that Girardi had. That type of skillset is no longer useful in the NHL.

I don't think anyone would be unhappy with a 10 year NHLer, regardless their style of play, at pick 123.

This is, to a T, what I meant.

Jeez.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Girardi used to be quite a bit more mobile than he is now. If this guy became a peak-Girardi then he would absolutely still have a place in the modern game. However with Girardi, when you absorb as much contact with his legs as he did and basically don't miss any games ever, it really takes a toll on you.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If that's how you interpreted it, sure.

If he plays like Dan Girardi in the NHL as it stands now? Yeah, he has no place in this game. Dan Girardi's are no longer good defensemen they just bought Girardi out why would you want another guy who plays the same style of game which clearly is not working anymore? Yeah, I could really use another decade of a guy throwing the puck around the board on every shift or passing it right to the tape of the other team as he attempts a horrible outlet pass, or handcuffs his partner who he drags down every game.

I can't imagine anyone hoping a draft pick would become the Dan Girardi of 2017.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Really happy you guys picked Crawley - I've watched him play the last three years in London. He's consistently progressed and this last season particularly was a very important member of the team. Also, last season when the Knights won the Mem Cup he was an important and galvanizing member of the team when it matter most.

In his time with the Knights, I've found him frustrating at time - but he moved beyond that and everything clicked well this year.

Reading the thread I've noticed some of you are disappointed. I'd just say he was picked 123rd overall, he's a good pick in that range...and be practical considering how players like that typically evolve. Also, some of you were saying it was bad NYR picked someone who was passed over twice already - I'd just say that the last two drafts he was listed as a pick in the later rounds and it's not uncommon for players listed late to get passed over. He's no worse a pick for being drafted where was this season than he'd have been if he'd been drafted in a similar position the last two years (and he's always been projected as a late pick).

One question for you - some of us Knights fans had just assumed he'd be one of the Knights' over age player this coming season (in the OHL you can have up to two 20 yr olds on the roster). Someone posted in the Knights thread that your AHL team is extremely weak and b/c of that Crawley would likely end up in the AHL (rather than back in London). I know most (all?) of you haven't seen him play yet - but can any of you comment in a general sense on whether you expect him to be in the AHL (rather than in London as an over age player)?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If the Wolf Pack (AHL squad) has any depth, it's on defense. We had a number of UDFA signings and may have some vets there, too. Defense is probably the hardest spot to crack in Hartford this year.

Just from a prospect standpoint, we have Bereglazov, Graves, Paliotta, Pedrie and Pionk. Zborovoskiy has a good shot as making it as does Sean Day. John Gilmour will be there. That doesn't include any vets. The defense is a tough group to earn a spot in.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Really happy you guys picked Crawley - I've watched him play the last three years in London. He's consistently progressed and this last season particularly was a very important member of the team. Also, last season when the Knights won the Mem Cup he was an important and galvanizing member of the team when it matter most.

In his time with the Knights, I've found him frustrating at time - but he moved beyond that and everything clicked well this year.

Reading the thread I've noticed some of you are disappointed. I'd just say he was picked 123rd overall, he's a good pick in that range...and be practical considering how players like that typically evolve. Also, some of you were saying it was bad NYR picked someone who was passed over twice already - I'd just say that the last two drafts he was listed as a pick in the later rounds and it's not uncommon for players listed late to get passed over. He's no worse a pick for being drafted where was this season than he'd have been if he'd been drafted in a similar position the last two years (and he's always been projected as a late pick).

One question for you - some of us Knights fans had just assumed he'd be one of the Knights' over age player this coming season (in the OHL you can have up to two 20 yr olds on the roster). Someone posted in the Knights thread that your AHL team is extremely weak and b/c of that Crawley would likely end up in the AHL (rather than back in London). I know most (all?) of you haven't seen him play yet - but can any of you comment in a general sense on whether you expect him to be in the AHL (rather than in London as an over age player)?

Hartford is a pretty weak AHL team, but there could be a real log jam of defensemen trying to make the team. He's probably gonna have to beat some people out to start in the AHL so it's all up to him

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't think anyone knows, but we might have a big logjam in the AHL next season on defense.

I have no info on this, but I'm guessing 70/30 he's back with London.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Our farm system is stocked with LHD, so it depends on who makes the big team. Right now they have 3 LHD guys that will be on the Wolfpack, and could increase to 4 if management decides they want Sean Day to make the jump to AHL.

So I guess there is a chance Crawley could end up with our AHL team

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
NHL All Star

507818974-594x356.jpg

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The one pick in this draft (from NYR) i truly don't like at all and can't see any logic to. I hope i'm wrong though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
At worse I see him as a more aggressive version of Tommy Hughes (who was a serviceable AHL d-man and another London Knight). Being an older draftee we're going to find out about him real soon. I don't really have a big issue with that.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Man I would really hate if this 4th round pick ended up equaling the career of a the guy who has played the most career playoff games for the organization outside of Lundqvist.

Man that would suck. Would be such terrible value.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
FWIW Tanner Glass has been an "NHLer" for 10 years and I don't think anyone who has had the misfortune of watching him would be happy drafting a player like that with any sort of pick.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Abso-****ing-lutely.

Dan Girardis are a dead breed in this game. There's no place for them.

They're also the players that get really long leashes from coaches for doing things "the right way".

That's the exact vibe I get from our own Zboro, actually.

Dan Girardi's aren't what they used to be though. And I mean that because the game has evolved even at the CHL level. The good defensemen there are moving the puck better than the old guard were.

These London defensemen seem to come out well coached and there is still something to say for playing a positonally solid defensive game as long as you can make a good first pass.

Not saying this kid will turn into something special but for a 6th rounder, seems like a decent pick.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Girardi used to be quite a bit more mobile than he is now. If this guy became a peak-Girardi then he would absolutely still have a place in the modern game. However with Girardi, when you absorb as much contact with his legs as he did and basically don't miss any games ever, it really takes a toll on you.

I think it's a combination of Girardi slowing down AND the game speeding up. Either way the defensive defensemen coming out of Juniors move the puck better than the older guard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad