Prospect Info: With the 115th pick in the 2016 entry draft, the Ducks pick - Alex Dostie

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
He is a very talented hockey player but he definitely lacks the physicality and tends to shy away from the higher-risk areas.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Man I thought he might be an OK player but he's been awful at the AHL level.

That's why I think the obsession with draft picks, especially 3rd round an below for roster players is a little bit misleading.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Looks like the draft Dostie was taken in (2016) was quite thin after the first 100 or so picks...they were all lottery tickets at that point.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
That's why I think the obsession with draft picks, especially 3rd round an below for roster players is a little bit misleading.
You can never use one player as an example of what a pick can be. You absolutely always have to look at draft picks in terms of probabilities. There is a chance they never play, a chance the are regular starters, and a chance they are stars. More picks just gives you more attempts to roll the dice. Higher picks also always have better odds. The Ducks have drafted better than anyone so if any fan base should value picks it should be the ducks.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
All great teams are built through the draft. Teams that struggle typically like to build through free agency or by trading their picks and prospects for overpriced win-now picks. This is generally true across all sports. Moneyball, Bill Belichick, Maple Leafs, etc. It is those impulsive GMs that cant be patient that kill an organization. It is one of the things I appreciate in BM. Even though it was frustrating he has always loved trading players for picks and was reluctant to be buyers at the tdl and the result is arguably the most successful franchise over the last 12 years even though we never get top picks and dont have a Crosby, Malkin, top player in the league type talent on the team.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
The Ducks have drafted better than anyone so if any fan base should value picks it should be the ducks.

Imho we draft well but there are some teams with similar records. Nevertheless a strength of us. But resigning is as important as drafting. That's why I hope Silfverberg resigns somehow.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Imho we draft well but there are some teams with similar records. Nevertheless a strength of us. But resigning is as important as drafting. That's why I hope Silfverberg resigns somehow.
When you factor in drafting position and the fact that the Ducks never get top picks then it is really hard to argue anyone has drafted as well. We are clearly ahead of Tampa in my opinion.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
All great teams are built through the draft. Teams that struggle typically like to build through free agency or by trading their picks and prospects for overpriced win-now picks. This is generally true across all sports. Moneyball, Bill Belichick, Maple Leafs, etc. It is those impulsive GMs that cant be patient that kill an organization. It is one of the things I appreciate in BM. Even though it was frustrating he has always loved trading players for picks and was reluctant to be buyers at the tdl and the result is arguably the most successful franchise over the last 12 years even though we never get top picks and dont have a Crosby, Malkin, top player in the league type talent on the team.
Yes and no. The cores of the great teams are absolutely built in the draft, and it’s the later round drafting that fills the team out (this is why Edmonton is a wreck, they’ve done jack with all the #31st+ picks they’ve had). However if you look at the truly great teams they have astute trades and/or free agent pickups that put them over the top as well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
When you factor in drafting position and the fact that the Ducks never get top picks then it is really hard to argue anyone has drafted as well. We are clearly ahead of Tampa in my opinion.

I would say us and Tampa are the top two, but I would probably give a slight edge to Tampa though. They drafted the best winger in the league at 58th overall and a top 10 centre in the league in the third round among other great picks.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yes and no. The cores of the great teams are absolutely built in the draft, and it’s the later round drafting that fills the team out (this is why Edmonton is a wreck, they’ve done jack with all the #31st+ picks they’ve had). However if you look at the truly great teams they have astute trades and/or free agent pickups that put them over the top as well.
Exactly, most of your team is built through the draft. Yes a great trade or signing can put you over the top to get a cup but that is usually just the cherry on top. If your team is struggling your focus has to be the draft. Once you get the depth and quality of talent through the draft you can afford trying to fill a hole to put the team over the top. The Ducks are not a quality team. Invest in the draft, slowly build our depth and talent pool and when some of these horrible contracts are off the books we will have the cap space to make a move for that final piece.

Basically the opposite of what Edmonton did. They crapped the bed with the draft and were impatient and traded away young talent like Hall to fill a hole and win now because they had McDavid. They brought on guys like Lucic and Maroon (free agency), their contracts shifted from young guys on elc's to overpriced older guys with a declining skill set. Basically, they were impatient because they wanted to win now with McDavid. They should've been trying to continue accumulating more picks and prospects until the team was ready to win. Instead they have no depth and no cap space and a mediocre record which will ensure they wont get any more top picks anytime soon.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I would say us and Tampa are the top two, but I would probably give a slight edge to Tampa though. They drafted the best winger in the league at 58th overall and a top 10 centre in the league in the third round among other great picks.
Maybe it is a quantity over quality argument. When you include guys we traded like Karlsson, Anderson and Palmieri, we have been absolutely beast in the draft. 2 of the best goalies in the league, unbelievable d talent, major home runs late in the draft like Kase and Manson. It is all really impressive.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Exactly, most of your team is built through the draft. Yes a great trade or signing can put you over the top to get a cup but that is usually just the cherry on top. If your team is struggling your focus has to be the draft. Once you get the depth and quality of talent through the draft you can afford trying to fill a hole to put the team over the top. The Ducks are not a quality team. Invest in the draft, slowly build our depth and talent pool and when some of these horrible contracts are off the books we will have the cap space to make a move for that final piece.

Basically the opposite of what Edmonton did. They crapped the bed with the draft and were impatient and traded away young talent like Hall to fill a hole and win now because they had McDavid. They brought on guys like Lucic and Maroon (free agency), their contracts shifted from young guys on elc's to overpriced older guys with a declining skill set. Basically, they were impatient because they wanted to win now with McDavid. They should've been trying to continue accumulating more picks and prospects until the team was ready to win. Instead they have no depth and no cap space and a mediocre record which will ensure they wont get any more top picks anytime soon.
I disagree on Edmonton. They had 6 years of top 5 drafting before they started bringing free agents in. McDavid alone was going to prevent them from having really high draft picks. They’re bad because they overpaid their own RFA’s and because they couldn’t draft worth a damn outside of the top 10.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I disagree on Edmonton. They had 6 years of top 5 drafting before they started bringing free agents in. McDavid alone was going to prevent them from having really high draft picks. They’re bad because they overpaid their own RFA’s and because they couldn’t draft worth a damn outside of the top 10.
Drafting is certainly there biggest issue but trading assets and making bad free agency signings compounded the issue. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Drafting is certainly there biggest issue but trading assets and making bad free agency signings compounded the issue. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with.
The way the league is put together, you have to pay your own players what they’re worth now. Prospects who aren’t top 5 guys usually aren’t going to do anything for 3-5 years post draft, especially the defensemen that that franchise is short on. They HAD to overpay to get anyone to play there, because it’s a frozen wasteland with nothing to do and a crappy team. That’s not a draw. Getting even a few decent players in the 31+ positions in those 1st overall rounds would have lessened the need to do that.

Being eternally bad for 10 years (which is what you’re saying they should have done) means the good players leave like rats from a ship as soon as they can. It’s not workable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad