Prospect Info: With the 101st Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Nico Gross

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Either a late pick or undrafted and free to sign after the draft. If you're interested in Gross, and you have a chance in the 7th round, do you pick him or hope he goes undrafted and approach him afterwards?

I am guessing un-drafted because if anybody wanted him with a late pick they would have offered it to us in a trade.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Use your highest pick on a forward unless there’s a stud defenseman available. Plenty of all-star and Norris Trophy defensemen picked in the late first and second round. Scoring is the toughest thing to find.

with our first 5 picks (rounds 1 through 4) we should draft 4 forwards and 1 goalie, the rest of the way it doesn't really matter too much.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think this is the Jaclyn you're looking for.
View attachment 348560
wow, that was to quote Don McLean: "a long, long time ago".

McKegg shouldnt be back, if they are serious about this rebuild they gotta put some faith in the minors and let guys like Nieves, Gettinger or whoever take that spot for cheaper money and if not spend the money on someone who is better. McKegg doesn't move the needle for me to justify bringing him back.
McKegg has earned a bit of a look if he does 2 way for real cheap.
Agree w/Nieves and Gettinger.
DiGiuseppe is a total waste.
Staal I appreciate the sacrifice and the career, but injuries are reality and he should have been bought out instead of Shat.
And we can nit pick further about who else can go, tho since this thread is about Gross, am willing to presume GMJG has figured out the correct variation.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
wow, that was to quote Don McLean: "a long, long time ago".

McKegg has earned a bit of a look if he does 2 way for real cheap.
Agree w/Nieves and Gettinger.
DiGiuseppe is a total waste.
Staal I appreciate the sacrifice and the career, but injuries are reality and he should have been bought out instead of Shat.
And we can nit pick further about who else can go, tho since this thread is about Gross, am willing to presume GMJG has figured out the correct variation.

LOL McKegg isn't signing a 2-way deal man. And why are we saving money? The Rangers aren't in financial trouble

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I still say common sense is to draft about twice as many forwards as dmen, not 50/50 and with Dmen go for quality rather than quantity because the Dmen have to be good and you usually dress only 6.

You take the guy who you think has the best chance of being a quality NHL player. Another NHL defenseman is a greater asset than an AHL player or a guy who never gets signed. Defensemen are also tougher to find, harder to acquire, and generally seem to always have a market. That’s why a guy like Skjei whose a 4th defenseman and probably also overpaid gets you a first rounder in a strong draft. An overpaid middle 6 winger probably doesn’t. Of course there are a few exceptions to every rule but defenseman nearly always get a premium.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Use your highest pick on a forward unless there’s a stud defenseman available. Plenty of all-star and Norris Trophy defensemen picked in the late first and second round. Scoring is the toughest thing to find.

Id mostly prefer a forward, but I would be hard pressed not to seriously consider a guy like Jake Sanderson outside the top 5-6. That kid is the total package and a lefty to boot.

Reactions: bobbop

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
McKegg shouldnt be back, if they are serious about this rebuild they gotta put some faith in the minors and let guys like Nieves, Gettinger or whoever take that spot for cheaper money and if not spend the money on someone who is better. McKegg doesn't move the needle for me to justify bringing him back.

Youngest team in the league, a strong farm team, and multiple first rounders in the upcoming draft. I’d say they’ve been serious about the rebuild. I wouldn’t be against adding a vet or two via trade or free agency if we can improve the bottom 6. A minute eating 2 way LD and bottom 6 help are the biggest holes on the team IMO.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
You take the guy who you think has the best chance of being a quality NHL player. Another NHL defenseman is a greater asset than an AHL player or a guy who never gets signed. Defensemen are also tougher to find, harder to acquire, and generally seem to always have a market. That’s why a guy like Skjei whose a 4th defenseman and probably also overpaid gets you a first rounder in a strong draft. An overpaid middle 6 winger probably doesn’t. Of course there are a few exceptions to every rule but defenseman nearly always get a premium.

I thought this was a fairly weak draft? There is also an option to trade down if the Dman is the best player available by far.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...A minute eating 2 way LD and bottom 6 help are the biggest holes on the team IMO.
despite the good fortune making this summer's one-off tournament,
this team is not ready top seriously contend in '20-21,

just my opinion, i have no interest in them giving up any assets, or giving notable icetime
to any additional marginal veterans.
let the season be an investment in the kids,
have Hajek/Rykov/Tarmo back up Staal/Smith(if he stays) and
have Howden/Gettinger/Lemieux(Lias/Richards,...) and others hold down a 4th line,
behind ~ Chytil/Kakko/Gauthier(Krav, Lias, ...)
McKegg and DiGiuseppe were fine depth guys (less so Haley) but they don't help move the needle forward in getting the pipeline guys ready to support the top 10 guys and then take those spots

i know thats not fully realistic, and that coach Q likes having vets in the depth roles, but FO should not provide too many of those guys, it undermines the 'Build'

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
despite the good fortune making this summer's one-off tournament,
this team is not ready top seriously contend in '20-21,

just my opinion, i have no interest in them giving up any assets, or giving notable icetime
to any additional marginal veterans.
let the season be an investment in the kids,
have Hajek/Rykov/Tarmo back up Staal/Smith(if he stays) and
have Howden/Gettinger/Lemieux(Lias/Richards,...) and others hold down a 4th line,
behind ~ Chytil/Kakko/Gauthier(Krav, Lias, ...)
McKegg and DiGiuseppe were fine depth guys (less so Haley) but they don't help move the needle forward in getting the pipeline guys ready to support the top 10 guys and then take those spots

i know thats not fully realistic, and that coach Q likes having vets in the depth roles, but FO should not provide too many of those guys, it undermines the 'Build'

Im not talking about gutting the farm to fill out the 4th line but if there’s a good UFA or trade target to be had at a reasonable price then I’d listen. A big body or speedster to add NHL depth? Why not? A defenseman to settle in with Trouba? I’m not going to weaken the team to try and develop Gettinger or Fogarty. If they are the best options then great but I’m not turning down an upgrade bc they are 27 and not 23.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Why would you trade down if there is a guy left whose the best available “by far?”

Everything I’ve read is that this is supposed to be a very strong draft.

because we would have to trade some Dman prospect, and this way we get the most value in a trade by trading down rather than trading a glut of prospects. Did you see our pipeline on LD? it is ridiculous:

Lindgren
Hajek
Rykov
Miller
Reunanen
Robertson
Ragnarsson
Jones
Kjellberg

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Im not talking about gutting the farm to fill out the 4th line but if there’s a good UFA or trade target to be had at a reasonable price then I’d listen. A big body or speedster to add NHL depth? Why not? A defenseman to settle in with Trouba? I’m not going to weaken the team to try and develop Gettinger or Fogarty. If they are the best options then great but I’m not turning down an upgrade bc they are 27 and not 23.
i get it, what i really reacted to in your post was to trade for such a guy,
the upcoming market will be flooded with capable UFA's,
adding such depth guys will not require surrendering assets, and they can't demand too high a Cap Hit or extensive term.
But please not all of a Haley + a PDG + a KcKegg
Gettinger is worth finding out about, he is still young and improving
I like Fogarty, at 27 he is what he is, i suspect he could fill the McKegg/PDG role, but may be most valuable to NYR wearing the C w HWP

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
because we would have to trade some Dman prospect, and this way we get the most value in a trade by trading down rather than trading a glut of prospects. Did you see our pipeline on LD? it is ridiculous:
Lindgren. Hajek. Rykov, Miller. Reunanen, Robertson, Ragnarsson, Jones, Kjellberg
... Crawley, Sjalin - puts the Day, Gross moves in context ...

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
if let's say hypothetically you draft several years in a row and every pick the Best player available is a LD so do you go "you ALWAYS go with BPA, no matter what" and look like a complete idiot drafting 14 LD? You will get fired for your BPA nonsense. You don't build a team by going BPA all the time.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Lindgren
Hajek
Rykov
Miller
Reunanen
Robertson
Ragnarsson
Jones
Kjellberg

Lindgren is a solid LD. I think Robertson will be good but it’s not a guarantee. Jones is years away if he’s the real deal. Miller, who knows? The rest are big question marks. Quantity, not quality. Nobody here is guaranteed to be a top pair LD.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
i get it, what i really reacted to in your post was to trade for such a guy,
the upcoming market will be flooded with capable UFA's,
adding such depth guys will not require surrendering assets, and they can't demand too high a Cap Hit or extensive term.
But please not all of a Haley + a PDG + a KcKegg
Gettinger is worth finding out about, he is still young and improving
I like Fogarty, at 27 he is what he is, i suspect he could fill the McKegg/PDG role, but may be most valuable to NYR wearing the C w HWP

I was thinking of when we brought in guys like Betts, Boyle or Moore. Prust. A guy like Hagelin (in Washington or Pitt) or Grabner who did well here. All low cost vets who added depth. I’m not advocating shipping out a 1st rounder for a guy like that, but a 3rd or 4th? A redundant prospect? Sure.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Lindgren is a solid LD. I think Robertson will be good but it’s not a guarantee. Jones is years away if he’s the real deal. Miller, who knows? The rest are big question marks. Quantity, not quality. Nobody here is guaranteed to be a top pair LD.

Miller is not "who knows" he is our top Dman prospect and likely a top pair Dman.
Reunanen and Rykov are quality, not quantity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad