With Lamoriello gone is Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph going to be let back onto the Leafs charter flights?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One rule Lou Lamoriello created prior to the 2015-2016 season was no longer letting Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph travel on the team charter flights to whatever city the Leafs were going to be playing in, so they had to arrange their flights by themselves. Now that Lou has left does anyone think Kyle Dubas will keep this rule or will he get rid of it?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
One rule Lou Lamoriello created prior to the 2015-2016 season was no longer letting Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph travel on the team charter flights to whatever city the Leafs were going to be playing in, so they had to arrange their flights by themselves. Now that Lou has left does anyone think Kyle Dubas will keep this rule or will he get rid of it?

Dude has some weird "rules"
I don't think Dubas will prevent it

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
They asked this in his intro presser and Dubas said no. Lou creating space between players and the media is a good thing. There's no reason Dubas won't continue with that.

Reactions: supermann_98

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The important questions in summer. Lol. More importantly, what numbers will change next season....Marner back to 93....Nylander 62....was it Lou who instituted the number rule? Why was Kadri 43 and not 91 when he started? Wasn't that his number in Junior? That would be a good little drama with Tavares coming, Kadri is probably out a decent watch or a few dinners.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The important questions in summer. Lol. More importantly, what numbers will change next season....Marner back to 93....Nylander 62....was it Lou who instituted the number rule? Why was Kadri 43 and not 91 when he started? Wasn't that his number in Junior? That would be a good little drama with Tavares coming, Kadri is probably out a decent watch or a few dinners.
They're not gonna give Marner #93 since it’s retired now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri was given #43 because Brian Burke had some rule where he didn't like a player to have a high number and he decided to keep it.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
The real question I want to ask is when will Joe get to call local TV games? I miss that guy.

This is the only thing I have cared about regarding our broadcasting for years. I want Joe Bowen back. Listening to him is amazing and pumps you up a million times more. Cant stand the broadcasters these days.

Also, whats up with this Lou rule? Was this some way to separate them so there's no "leaks" per-say? IE: Hearing others speaking about confidential stuff on the plane, etc.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
:laugh:
I find it very amusing the things fans care about.

It's the dog days of summer. I'm intrigued now. I have to know if Joe Bowen will be allowed on the flight... I won't be able to sleep without knowing

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The real question I want to ask is when will Joe get to call local TV games? I miss that guy.

TSN has their own people, so that is 26 of the Leaf regional games that Bowen would not be doing. There are about 15 regional games on Sportsnet. Sportsnet has an announcer available who can do those games (Romanuk). so why would they hire another one?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
TSN has their own people, so that is 26 of the Leaf regional games that Bowen would not be doing. There are about 15 regional games on Sportsnet. Sportsnet has an announcer available who can do those games (Romanuk). so why would they hire another one?
Prior to Sportsnet getting the national rights across Canada, Bowen was already broadcasting Leafs regional games for them. So I never understood why they replaced Bowen with Romanuk to start with?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Prior to Sportsnet getting the national rights across Canada, Bowen was already broadcasting Leafs regional games for them. So I never understood why they replaced Bowen with Romanuk to start with?

I know at one point, all the Leafs regional games were produced by Leafs TV including those on TSN and featured Bowen doing play by play. However, I don't think that period lasted very long until TSN started producing their own; however, Leafs TV and Sportsnet Ontario broadcasts continued to be produced by Leafs TV. That is why you often saw Paul Hendrick as the rink reporter for Sportsnet games. Essentially, the broadcasters were employed by the Leafs not the networks. So, while Sportsnet aired games called by Bowen, I'm not sure Bowen ever worked for Sportsnet.

I should point out that Leafs TV just produced the game -- the intermission features were produced by the broadcaster showing the game.

I think this situation lasted up until the Rogers deal and it was at that point that Sportsnet started producing the Leafs games themselves.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

I'm sure Joe and Jim did not arrange travel by themselves. Their employers did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad