Salary Cap: With flat cap for foreseeable future, what can/will GMMcC do?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall.

Yes, younger players are usually cheaper (until they aren't).

I'm also wondering if there might be a few pending UFAs (like Lehner) who might be willing for a good salary, rather than a big one, for near term, with good team due to cap squeeze. .

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think it just means a guy like Statsny is more likely to be traded now. No way guys like Pacioretty or even Stone get traded.

Martinez will now more than likely not be brought back and the same can be said with Lehner.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think it just means a guy like Statsny is more likely to be traded now. No way guys like Pacioretty or even Stone get traded.

Martinez will now more than likely not be brought back and the same can be said with Lehner.

If Martinez doesn't want a raise at 34 or whatever then I'm sure Vegas could keep him for 3 seasons. I would think McNabb is more likely to be traded. And trading Stastny would be how Lehner would be re-signed. Pacioretty could get traded in his last season but the next few he's probably as safe as anyone.

The team is exempt from the expansion draft and Gallant will land somewhere so there are trade possibilities that can help the team. I'm sure Gallant would be interested in McNabb and Marchessault wherever he goes if Vegas needs room.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

The problem with trading Statsny is that there just aren't going to be a lot of teams looking to add salary. Sure a few will, but there will be far more sellers than buyers. He is only 1 year so maybe there's a match but I see fans of every cap team saying "We'll just trade X for picks".

That isn't going to be a solution for as many teams that are saying that.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If they let Lehner walk then the cap isn't a real problem and they can keep Stastny. Only reason he would need to go is to clear out some space for expansion wheeling and dealing, but they could ship him at TDL if Glass can up his game enough for them to trust him as an every day C.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
IMO trading McNabb and upgrading to Dillon to play with Theodore is a no-brainer. With the flat cap + expansion draft concerns (not to mention familiarity with PDB) they can probably sign him to his current salary of 4m.

The opportunity to re-sign Lehner is too good to pass up (only Detroit is expected to make a big 7-8m push for him) so if someone has to be moved to make space...

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjiggyfly

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Why would Lehner take $4m and have to fight to be a #1 in his prime years? I'm telling you guys he's going to be hearing from every agent and advisor imaginable that he has to hit the market and sign somewhere else. He can't take short term deals and he can't take well under market value. He certainly can tell the press he will consider it, but its just negligent to stay here unless MAF is retiring or being traded.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Why would Lehner take $4m and have to fight to be a #1 in his prime years? I'm telling you guys he's going to be hearing from every agent and advisor imaginable that he has to hit the market and sign somewhere else. He can't take short term deals and he can't take well under market value. He certainly can tell the press he will consider it, but its just negligent to stay here unless MAF is retiring or being traded.

The 4M was Dillon in the previous post.

Lehner gets at most ten starts less the first season if he stays here than he would anywhere else. At most.

And those ten less starts probably help him perform better when he does. Possibly help his longevity going forward so his career as a whole would probably not miss any "projected" starts. Season two he would be starting as any starter would.

Calm down.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well, that's the big problem Lehner faces, innit? He's not being offered long term deals.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
*Bump*

Any word on how much Stephenson may ask for as RFA? Does he have arbitration rights? He had a pretty good year.
Also is someone like Nosek likely gone? Liked his play for the most part but feel like Roy might have overtaken him in the playoffs.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
*Bump*

Any word on how much Stephenson may ask for as RFA? Does he have arbitration rights? He had a pretty good year.
Also is someone like Nosek likely gone? Liked his play for the most part but feel like Roy might have overtaken him in the playoffs.

Tough to say what he'll be looking for or what an arbitrator might award. I think it might be best for them to avoid arbitration because he'd get a 1 year deal, and then he's still out looking for term as a UFA. Luckily that's probably long after all the UFA stuff is done. If the cap is there, I have no problem with him getting around 2.25m for 2-3 years.

Nosek was very useful and I hope they can bring him back. I can't see him getting a lot of money as a free agent this year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Nosek more than likely leaves for a roster spot on a different team. He's still young, and good enough where being a 13F is something he probably don't want to be.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Tough to say what he'll be looking for or what an arbitrator might award. I think it might be best for them to avoid arbitration because he'd get a 1 year deal, and then he's still out looking for term as a UFA. Luckily that's probably long after all the UFA stuff is done. If the cap is there, I have no problem with him getting around 2.25m for 2-3 years.

Nosek was very useful and I hope they can bring him back. I can't see him getting a lot of money as a free agent this year.

I thought VGK was low on cap? Is there much speculation for some guys being moved? (Think the top-6 F and top-4 D were solid, and Lehner's extension probably eats up all the cap, no?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I thought VGK was low on cap? Is there much speculation for some guys being moved? (Think the top-6 F and top-4 D were solid, and Lehner's extension probably eats up all the cap, no?

No speculation apart from Fleury. They were in a similar position last year needing to move out a lot of cap + an RFA.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If Martinez doesn't want a raise at 34 or whatever then I'm sure Vegas could keep him for 3 seasons. I would think McNabb is more likely to be traded. And trading Stastny would be how Lehner would be re-signed. Pacioretty could get traded in his last season but the next few he's probably as safe as anyone.

The team is exempt from the expansion draft and Gallant will land somewhere so there are trade possibilities that can help the team. I'm sure Gallant would be interested in McNabb and Marchessault wherever he goes if Vegas needs room.

As Engelland said, guys 35 and above are on a year by year contract now, I don't think Martinez gets anything more either. I'd say $2m for his 35yo season and down from there. And if Lehner is signed, isn't the move MAF leaving, not necessarily Stastny? If that happens, seems like a neutral or maybe slightly positive cap move depending on the retained salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad