With expansion over, what cities are the faves to get a relocated team?

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
This is not a thread to discuss the specific teams that are likely to move.

Let's discuss the cities most likely to receive a relocated team IF such an upheaval took place, regardless of the franchises.

My guess would be Houston. Too big of a market. I'd like to see a team in Atlanta again.

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
This is not a thread to discuss the specific teams that are likely to move.

Let's discuss the cities most likely to receive a relocated team IF such an upheaval took place, regardless of the franchises.

My guess would be Houston. Too big of a market. I'd like to see a team in Atlanta again.

The NHL has failed in Atlanta twice already. I can't see them going there again quite yet. Houston is probably the most likely. Kansas City might be a candidate. Portland wouldn't be bad either.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
No to Atlanta ever again. It just doesn't work. Houston is the city out West for a team to relocate toward with a runner up to Kansas City. And you'd have to think that city in the East would be Quebec City.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Wasn't the arena in Atlanta renovated for basketball that would basically make it impossible for hockey anyway?

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Montreal will fight relocating a team to Quebec with everything they have.
Oh I have no doubt, but you have to think the Leafs would do the same thing for Hamilton. Its just where in the East could a team go that it could actually succeed. All the markets have ether been experimented with or tried save a couple. Those are really Quebec whom lost their team, and Hamilton which would have to do battle with Toronto they same as Montreal would fight to stop Quebec. There really isn't anywhere left in the states Eastern half that are left for a market or have not already been tried.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Oh I have no doubt, but you have to think the Leafs would do the same thing for Hamilton. Its just where in the East could a team go that it could actually succeed. All the markets have ether been experimented with or tried save a couple. Those are really Quebec whom lost their team, and Hamilton which would have to do battle with Toronto they same as Montreal would fight to stop Quebec. There really isn't anywhere left in the states Eastern half that are left for a market or have not already been tried.

I'd suggest Markham Ontario, but it would have some of the same issues that Hamilton would. It's more centralized in the GTA, where Hamilton is pretty far west with less population around it.

The rivalry would be fantastic, though.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Quebec City and Kansas City would be the classic nominations.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hockey can work in Atlanta, but not if the team is consistently dead last and ownership doesn’t care. All non traditional markets would struggle in those conditions.

We’re a top 10 metro area in the states and find a way to support 4 other major pro teams. The NHL will want to give Atlanta another try but not in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'd suggest Markham Ontario, but it would have some of the same issues that Hamilton would. It's more centralized in the GTA, where Hamilton is pretty far west with less population around it.

The rivalry would be fantastic, though.
I mean sure, but as you said Markham would have the same uphill fight that Hamilton would. You can just sort of lump in if you will any GTA options into one. Because you have to believe the Leafs organization would fight till their last breath to stop a GTA expansion regardless of where it was. But I also do agree the rivalry would be absolutely intense.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not necessarily. State farm arena has a capacity of 21000. The last 2 seasons they did not even get to a 14000 average and the year before that they didn't even get to 15000.

State farm arena has been recently renovated and I am not sure if the seating capacity has changed. I don't believe it was 21,000 when it was Phillips arena. Best I can find says it was roughly 18,000 when the Thrashers were still there. The Thrashers problems did not stem from lack of fan support, it stemmed from mismanagement and an ownership group that just didn't care about hockey, therefore they were content with letting Don Waddell run that team into the ground over and over. The Thrashers were never successful, therefore how can you sell out an arena? How can you be successful when ownership doesn't care and you have a ****ing asshat as a GM? If ownership was at all interested in hockey, significant changes would have been made in the Thrashers organization before relocation was ever an option.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I mean sure, but as you said Markham would have the same uphill fight that Hamilton would. You can just sort of lump in if you will any GTA options into one. Because you have to believe the Leafs organization would fight till their last breath to stop a GTA expansion regardless of where it was. But I also do agree the rivalry would be absolutely intense.

Yep. Rogers owning 75 percent of MLSE makes it pretty tough for any team to relocate to the GTA.

There certainly isn't a lack of fans willing to pay, but if fan revenue is all that mattered, there would be 3 GTA teams.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Quebec City and Kansas City would be the classic nominations.
I'm rooting for a comeback of the Nordiques obviously. But I have to admit that this City won't ever have a team anymore.

NHL and hockey is a business, and let's face it, bigger markets are available (Houston, Kansas City...) even in Canada (Markham or even a second team in Toronto could work). I'm all for more Canadians teams but not at any price, excepted Toronto, teams in Canada are a mess, Montreal still make big bucks but results speaking it's really bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad