With Disney+, will you consider cancelling Netflix?

Will you consider cancelling Netflix?

• Total voters

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
No - I'm not a big fan of Marvel or the classic Disney kids movies, and Disney has stated that the content they produce will be PG13 level. So it's not like they'll be making a "Mindhunter", "GLOW" or "BoJack Horseman" type of show, which is to say, the more "adult" kind of content that I prefer.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
That's basically where I'm at already, and paying as much as I do so I can watch hockey is a bit ludicrous. I'd absolutely spring for gamecentre live if it wasn't carefully engineered to not provide in-market cable customers another option.

Canadian Netflix isn't great (it's particularly bad for movie options) but until Disney+ becomes an option we're a little stuck with it or Crave.

Having said that though, Crave is fantastic. I have Netflix, Crave and Amazon Prime and I feel like that covers most of what I need, other than the shows on AMC, FX and other random networks that I watch maybe 1 show from (which I have actual cable tv for).

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Things are becoming so fractured I might just end up with none of them. Even the mighty HBO looks like it might be at the start of a downward spiral.

Based on what?

Watchmen, Succession, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Barry, Euphoria, Westworld, True Detective, High Maintenance + final upcoming seasons of The Deuce, Silicon Valley and a whole host of other new projects dropping in the next 2 years.

They're still the kings until they show otherwise, with FX running a close 2nd.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
HBO was bought by AT&T, the new head of HBO wants to cut costs and produce more content. They want to focus on producing more hours of content per week, and less on making the best shows.

I'm aware of the AT&T purchase of HBO, but until I see evidence of it, the lower quality thing is just speculation.

Last edited:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
No - I'm not a big fan of Marvel or the classic Disney kids movies, and Disney has stated that the content they produce will be PG13 level. So it's not like they'll be making a "Mindhunter", "GLOW" or "BoJack Horseman" type of show, which is to say, the more "adult" kind of content that I prefer.

That's why they also got Hulu, which is where their more adult oriented material will be

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
That's why they also got Hulu, which is where their more adult oriented material will be

Fair enough - but as a Canadian I can't get Hulu. I think most of the Hulu shows are part of Crave in Canada, which I have ($20 per month for full collection of HBO, Showtime, Starz + other random shows).

Basically for me, unless Disney+ comes out with a show that I really like (ie: The Mandalorian or something else), then I have no need for it. No rush for me to try out any of their shows until I know if they're well received.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is Disney+ really releasing more stuff, or are they just releasing a ton of stuff so that they catch up to Netflix?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Is Disney+ really releasing more stuff, or are they just releasing a ton of stuff so that they catch up to Netflix?

Not sure of the question, but, yes, Disney is producing a lot of content for Disney+, but the fear is that it's a short term move. They're releasing a ton, but it's mainly connected to existing brands to get as much hype as possible.

In 5 years, when we have a better sense of who the market players are for online streaming, I expect to see less effort made in producing content. We're probably in a bubble right now as each outlet is pushing out new material to drive memberships, but will shift as they focus on profitable shows only.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Not sure of the question, but, yes, Disney is producing a lot of content for Disney+, but the fear is that it's a short term move. They're releasing a ton, but it's mainly connected to existing brands to get as much hype as possible.

In 5 years, when we have a better sense of who the market players are for online streaming, I expect to see less effort made in producing content. We're probably in a bubble right now as each outlet is pushing out new material to drive memberships, but will shift as they focus on profitable shows only.

IMO, they might hurt them in the short term and buy them after.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Interesting article on the tracking around Disney+.
Disney+ Subscription Interest Outpacing Initial Company Targets, Report Finds – Deadline

It's tracking better than their initial forecasts, but that's hard to verify. But, there's survey numbers in there showing that 57% of expected customers plan to drop at least one other service, with cables being at risk.
The only people I can see holding on to cable are the 40+ year olds. Most people I know have already or are contemplating dropping cable/satellite

Reactions: Beau Knows

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's Disney. The content could be family-friendly mush.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The only people I can see holding on to cable are the 40+ year olds. Most people I know have already or are contemplating dropping cable/satellite

As a 40+, I can confirm I still have cable.

I want to get rid of it, but there's still a lot both us and the kids watch, and it represents a level of convenience I haven't been able to kick.

I also still have a landline that we're trying to rid ourselves of, but can't, as when I have my elderly parents visit, they need it. I'm paying $50 a month to get harassed by telemarketers essentially.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
As a 40+, I can confirm I still have cable.

I want to get rid of it, but there's still a lot both us and the kids watch, and it represents a level of convenience I haven't been able to kick.

I also still have a landline that we're trying to rid ourselves of, but can't, as when I have my elderly parents visit, they need it. I'm paying $50 a month to get harassed by telemarketers essentially.
Yeah,it's tough for the 40+ to give it up and I get it.

My mom also had a landline up until a few months ago. After I found out Eastlink was charging her $60 for basic shit I told her it was time for her to get a cell. It's a whole new world for her to learn, but now she's paying half that for unlimited nationwide

My grandma is in the same boat with the landline but she needs to have it because she has one of those medical alert bracelets that are connected to the phone

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's Disney. The content could be family-friendly mush.

They've confirmed the Disney+ service will only have PG-13 stuff. Anything rated for older will be in North America on Hulu. Since that is not available here (probably the reasoning on the delay for a Europe wide launch), I assume they'll look for other services of maybe even introduce a Euro Hulu. :dunno:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Most business analysts are predicting both Amazon Prime and Netflix will take a hit. But not just because of Disney but because of several other platforms coming on line.

Two that is under the radar is Warner brothers and Paramont and their plans. Both are looking at different ways to stream their entire back log of shows and movies and they would remove their movies and shows from all other platforms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad