Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
TV is garbage now. Been that way for a while, we had a mini golden age that began in the 2000's but things are back to where they were: formulaic and insulting.

In general people forgive way too much in favour of setting/story. That Modified Carbon show is a great example: great setting and plot but the execution is just awful.

And Breaking Bad stopped being good after season 2.

I just started the Handmaidens tale and we are 3 episodes in and pretty much hooked. But I am always a sucker for dystopian style entertainment.

The only active current shows I watch currently are:
-Handmaidens Tale
-John Oliver
-Joel Mchale show
-Silicon Valley

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
TV is garbage now. Been that way for a while, we had a mini golden age that began in the 2000's but things are back to where they were: formulaic and insulting.

In general people forgive way too much in favour of setting/story. That Modified Carbon show is a great example: great setting and plot but the execution is just awful.

And Breaking Bad stopped being good after season 2.

I get where you're coming from, but I still think you are incorrect.

You are correct that TV is currently oversaturated with garbage shows, and Netflix is particularly guilty of this (your Altered Carbon reference is spot on). However, if you weed through the bad shows, there are a lot of good things currently running.

Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, Westworld, Better Call Saul, Stranger Things, Nathan For You, Rick and Morty, The Crown, Planet Earth II/Blue Planet II, Silicon Valley, Fargo, Black Mirror, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Peaky Blinders, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc.

So many good shows are currently going. People just get caught up in the Netflix hype and the lowest common denominator shows that get a lot of marketing and hype.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Is Nathan For You still running new episodes? Nathan Fielder is fricken hilarious.

A lot of the shows you mentioned aren't in new season right now though, so I don't list em. Things like Always Sunny, Curb, etc. Even though they're still "active."

Whenever I just want to throw something random on I love to go back to Burning Love, and also Party Down.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Is Nathan For You still running new episodes? Nathan Fielder is fricken hilarious.

A lot of the shows you mentioned aren't in new season right now though, so I don't list em. Things like Always Sunny, Curb, etc. Even though they're still "active."

Whenever I just want to throw something random on I love to go back to Burning Love, and also Party Down.

I mean, Nathan For You just finished it's last season in late November, 2017. Season 5 hasn't been confirmed yet but apparently the ball is in Nathan's court and CC is willing to do another season.

But yeah - I just meant shows that should still have new content on the way.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I think there are so many shows now (compared to even 5/10 years ago) that all the great shows get drowned in a see of awful. Gone are the days when the Sopranos was the only really "good" show, competing against whatever CBS/ABC/NBC were running. Then came the "other" cable networks. Then the other premium channels. Then netflix/amazon ect.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have to be honest I don't see the Golden age of tv right now that others do. Netflix and other shows suffer from what tv has always suffered from

1. Super corny dialogue
2. Everybody talks the exact same way. Kind of like a Kevin Smith movie or a lousy comic book. I started seeing it with Luke Cage (though it's not necessarily just superhero shows that do this). A decent show but the everyone down from the old man in the barbershop to thugs to FBI agents all speak the same way.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I heard bad things about hearts of stone but after finishing it I really liked it. Not as good as blood and wine but still solid.
I remember HoS being extremely well reviewed/received. It just can't compete with the absolute absurd standard that B&W set of literally creating an entirely new game for a DLC.

Reactions: tacogeoff

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah it did stick out to me that a lot of the expansion took place in oxenfurt or the edge of the map in novigrad, but gaunter odimm and olgierd were still probably my favorite characters in the game.

Also ive been playing this game on PC with a 1080 and I have to talk about my experience a bit.

First off, the foliage is slightly bare in the ps4 version but most of the other settings are roughly equivalent to the higher PC settings (the character models have a slightly lower polygon count on ps4, you notice this a lot when the characters are naked and you see their square butts)

However 3 things make the PC version a massive upgrade over console.

1. I usually am not a framerate freak but 60 fps really is a gamechanger for this game, because there's so much foliage and grass blowing in the wind, it really sticks out when you have all that movement on screen at 30 fps versus 60.

2. There is absolutely horrible menu lag on ps4. I couldnt remember if it was faster when I first started and the lag is due to the save file being a year and a half old and the inventory full of items, so I cleaned out my inventory and it was still pretty bad. PC has extremely fast menus. I looked it online and others have this issue too.

3. Load times. I'm actually playing this off a cheap external hard drive so i actually don't know why the load times are this much faster (maybe it's the extra ram or more powerful cpu?) But the difference is night and day. Talking a 60 versus 90 second load times on startup or 30 to 5 second load time for fast travels

The ps4 was still a decent experience with all that said and I'm probably done with this game for now, need to give witcher 2 a shot

Edit: oh yeah, I had hairworks on since I'm playing on a 60 Hz tv so I might as well, and it's alright. A pretty consistent 15 fps penalty so i had no issue holding 60 fps at 1080p. Its actually a bit buggy on geralt (flicks and bounces around on his head even when he isn't moving) and doesn't even necessarily look better (the beard does), but on the monsters it does add some life to them. Griffin's especially.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
2 and 3 are pretty bad on PS4, so I can certainly accept those as problematic.

I would get the game for the PC if not for the fact I am pretty sure this last playthrough is my last and considering it is a NG+ file I don't feel like doing this all over again 2x.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Bumping this, because I just finished my fourth playthrough (did NG twice) and am on my fifth, and probably last.

Has anyone done a playthrough with the hud disabled? If this is going to be my last time playing the game (for at least a long time) I want to make it last, and figure just walking/riding to my destination and not relying so much on the hud to get me through combat/navigation might be a new take on the game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I played with the hud disabled but it would appear during combat on PC; I don't think this was a mod so I imagine the option is available on consoles.

I played without the minimap for a good while but I turned it back on eventually because while it was good, it was just too annoying to have to pull out the map so often

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I'm wondering if anyone can help me here.

I finished the witcher main quest before i bought of blood and wine. My character is lvl 35 and all the main quests are done with.

I then purchased of blood and wine.

When i go to the town where Of Blood and Wine is supposed to start, there are no new quests on the board.

Does this mean i have to restart a ng+ and enter Toussaint when my character will have finished the dandelion quest?

I know my other option is to start a new game straight into the DLC but i don't like that idea.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm wondering if anyone can help me here.

I finished the witcher main quest before i bought of blood and wine. My character is lvl 35 and all the main quests are done with.

I then purchased of blood and wine.

When i go to the town where Of Blood and Wine is supposed to start, there are no new quests on the board.

Does this mean i have to restart a ng+ and enter Toussaint when my character will have finished the dandelion quest?

I know my other option is to start a new game straight into the DLC but i don't like that idea.
What system? I've heard there were some issues with the DLC registering and have found some conversation on the CDProjektred forums about it. Steam you can probably verify the game files; not sure how to do that on PS4/Xbox/Other formats.

I assume you don't need the quest in your log to start the DLC? When you open up the game (before loading the save), do you see the DLC listed on the screen? Do you have HoS as well, and is that working?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
agreed. I wish they would come out with more expansions. the world they created was amazing. easily the best game I have played.

Was praying that the boat you were a prisoner on for the first expansion actually reached its destination. I knew it wouldn’t, but I so badly wanted to see what they could do with a totally different environment.

They did an amazing job with Toussaint though.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
What system? I've heard there were some issues with the DLC registering and have found some conversation on the CDProjektred forums about it. Steam you can probably verify the game files; not sure how to do that on PS4/Xbox/Other formats.

I assume you don't need the quest in your log to start the DLC? When you open up the game (before loading the save), do you see the DLC listed on the screen? Do you have HoS as well, and is that working?

I'm on PS4

I didnt try to start H0S yet. I just decided today to play Blood and Wine and was disapointed when i couldnt get it to start with my playthrought i have put more than 100hrs into

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I have started this game on three separate occasions, beaten the Bloody Baron storyline, and then lose interest shortly thereafter, which is too bad because I want to like the game, despite the combat not being very fluid

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I have started this game on three separate occasions, beaten the Bloody Baron storyline, and then lose interest shortly thereafter, which is too bad because I want to like the game, despite the combat not being very fluid

I was the opposite. I had very limited interest until after the bloody baron storyline. I think I even stopped playing it for a few weeks during the BB storyline. It becomes much better after that. jmo.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm on PS4

I didnt try to start H0S yet. I just decided today to play Blood and Wine and was disapointed when i couldnt get it to start with my playthrought i have put more than 100hrs into
If you own HoS, install it then load the game again. On the main screen where you choose load/new game/options/etc. you'll see icons for both games on the left hand lower side, under said menu. If they are there, that should narrow it down. If not, that'll also narrow it down.

You can try this now with only B&W installed, if thats the case.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Downloaded the complete edition this weekend on sale for about $30.

Really liking what I’ve played so far.

So glad to have waited on this generation. So many incredible games to play on sale for dirt cheap (plus Spider-Man and RDR2).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad