Winterhawks Logo Change

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Smart of the club to read the tea leaves and make this change without having the world collapse on them, forcing them into it, the way the Washington and Edmonton football clubs did. How much local pressure has there been? I am aware of Portland's somewhat lefty mindset: has there been a lot more local pressure that hasn't been more widely publicized?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Smart of the club to read the tea leaves and make this change without having the world collapse on them, forcing them into it, the way the Washington and Edmonton football clubs did. How much local pressure has there been? I am aware of Portland's somewhat lefty mindset: has there been a lot more local pressure that hasn't been more widely publicized?

Intense social media pressure which has not translated to mainstream media until the local columnist finally said something today, supportive at that. Since he usually ignores the Winterhawks, eh, shrug.

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
I'm all for it. I occasionally check in on the Winterhawks, Silvertips, and Thunderbirds in equal measure, so I don't really have a horse in all this, so to speak, but I think this is a welcome change and am glad PDX has gone this route. Much better than the old logo with its problematic and confusing history, etc.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Retraction: on the BoH thread that’s been closed, I referenced a local company that has a reputation for idea thievery in town and associated them with this effort. This is not the case. The artist involved is not associated with this effort and he’s getting properly paid for it.

And, really, a bit trippy, no?

The club did announce a partnership with the firm, they’ll get theirs someday.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One of the better WHL logos for sure, although maybe a bit messy but it's nice that they incorporated various elements relevant to team identity making it less generic than most. The secondary logo is just that though.

Overall a huge improvement and also better than their previous 3rd jersey logo.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Why the WHL's Portland Winterhawks changed their logo (Sub required, obviously)

“We’re apolitical,” Kramer said. “I know there is a debate on both sides, and I think the real driver for me personally was the individual identity. We want to be Portland."

I found that quote to be a cop out and disingenuous. Arguing that they're doing this because the old logo didn't adequately represent Portland and not because the winds of change are blowing? C'mon.

It's an interesting and thoughtful design, without being too much like computer art. But let's not pretend that there wasn't public and political pressure to make this change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad