Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We get it you dont like Klopp and want to see Sahko succeed. Just say that already and this issue will be over with.

Actually I like Klopp. But he acted like a spoiled brat on this issue. And the fact is that he took offense to a very nice player and certainly not to one of the bad guys in football, which IMO makes it very poor judgment.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All this mess for such an average player.:laugh:

It's really not a huge deal to most people. Evilo has personal bias in this one as he himself has mentioned his personal connection to Sakho. Everyone else recognizes that this was not only well within reason for Klopp but also that it's not like Sakho is integral to the team or anything.

Time to move on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How you dont see an issue there , is flabbergasting

Not really. Evilo's met Sahko in person & liked him, his kid loves Sahko, and Klopp is german. So it's pretty predictable that Evilo would take Sahko's side no matter what, and forgive him for transgressions that he'd use to crucify a german player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Poor Evilo gets crucified here about his opinions, down to who his kid likes :shakehead

There was no criticism in my post. Only a light jibe at the end about his longstanding hatred of german players. We all like some athletes for subjective reasons and will forgive those we like more than we should; i.e. Torsten Mattuschka could probably murder someone in cold blood and I'd still try to rationalize it away.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't have anything against german players of coaches in particular, and as I said in the past, I rather like Klopp.

So stop making some stuff up.

Contrary to some of you I do in fact know one of the parties involved. And I'm neither a german fan defending anything german or a Liverpool fan defending anything Pool.

It's quite clear in this case that Sakho **** in the bed during the american tour and in late september through his SM stuff.
However, how some of you can't see how ridiculous Klopp's punishment was is beyond me.
And his september outburst directly came from some bullying (not even giving some youth games to a healthy pro player? Seriously?).

In fact after his SM mistake, Klopp realized his method was in fact harrassment (did he realize it by himself or was he told about it by the board?) and gave him some youth team playing time.

That's all the proof you need to see he wanted to harrass the guy until he asked for a transfer.
When your boss puts you in an office and refuses that you work your job, it's harrassment.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I don't have anything against german players of coaches in particular, and as I said in the past, I rather like Klopp.

So stop making some stuff up.

Contrary to some of you I do in fact know one of the parties involved. And I'm neither a german fan defending anything german or a Liverpool fan defending anything Pool.
His point is that because you have connections you could be given a detailed account of a one-sided story, and thus be unintentionally biased. I'm not saying you are, I'm vaguely aware even of the situation being discussed, but it's reasonable, if inapplicable. I tend to write favorably about athletes I've had more interaction with. Not saying this is you but this is what he's trying to say.

I tend to also take exception to knee-jerk or pride fueled reactions by coaches or federation staff in general. Team success should come before individual pride, even if the individual is the manager, and I believe that under-performance due to sheer pettiness and lack of humility is one of the leading causes that take down managers.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know what he meant.
But Liverpool and German fans shouldn't try to tell me I'm biased :D

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
There was no criticism in my post. Only a light jibe at the end about his longstanding hatred of german players. We all like some athletes for subjective reasons and will forgive those we like more than we should; i.e. Torsten Mattuschka could probably murder someone in cold blood and I'd still try to rationalize it away.

He doesnt hate German players

In fact, he even likes Schumacher

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Haha :laugh:
I'm sure german fans will even find ways to defend him :D

No sane fan, German or not will ever defend what Toni Schumacher did. And what he did afterwards.
But never was the smartest horse in stable anyway.

He was the only manager who got kicked out at halftime by his president (Jean Löring) in German upper leagues all time.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No sane fan, German or not will ever defend what Toni Schumacher did. And what he did afterwards.
But never was the smartest horse in stable anyway.

He was the only manager who got kicked out at halftime by his president (Jean Löring) in German upper leagues all time.
I know, I was kidding ;)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If Klopp wasn't getting results, the Sakho situation would be different. Right now Liverpool look great (it pains me to say that.) I think Klopps thinking is "I can make an example of this somewhat big name player to prove I'm in charge while not hurting my teams chances of winning." While it could be argued right or wrong, with the results I think that Klopp is right. We obviously don't know everything that is going on. Maybe this wasn't Sakho's first instance. Even if it was, there would always be questions about it. Look at it in a work sense, if an important high up coworker or even manager doesn't show up when they're supposed to and then calls out the boss over social media, would you trust that person?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think that's the case at all and really don't think Klopp is trying to show him who's in charge. He did tell him he should leave after all.

I just think Klopp was extremely offended by Sakho showing up late for the flight in preseason after being (wrongly) banned by UEFA and decided he didn't want Sakho at the club anymore. Sturridge has made comments about his role in the team and he still plays. I don't think Klopp cares much for being a disciplinarian.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Anyway, about Sakho, Lille (who has a new owner and Luis Campos as sporting director) wants Sakho, Depay, Sahin and Grenier.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, that's the other thing that's not mentioned. There's no indication that Sakho was going to keep his spot without any of the transgressions.

Lovren looked like one of the most transformed players under Klopp and Matip was always going to get a chance.

I'm late to the party on the Sakho-fest, but I think the key thing that's missing in all of this is the fact that he isn't without error on the pitch either. Injuries, fitness and form aren't all his fault, but he's had a bit of a stop start career for the last 3 seasons.

He played decently down the stretch last year, but he isn't what exactly fits in how Klopp wants to play. He's not always clear on the ball and he doesn't do what Klopp wants. Whether by Rodgers plan or not, he was looking to make longer passes, rather than some of the quick, feed it up to the central midfield and be an outlet. He's also not always without a gaffe or two when coming out to cover for the backs being so far up. But the trouble I see is that over his track record here, he just couldn't stay fit. He's been in and out of the lineup with injuries, form issues and all the rest. I think Klopp desires consistency more than anything else. He wants to trot out the same back 4 week after week if he can help it.

I think Klopp went with the pair he feels most comfortable with, who fit what he wants to do, and who look like they can stay fit. I mean, the question is going to be is Sakho one of the best two central defenders at this club right now? I think possibly, but not in how Klopp wants to play and that's the key point. I think Matip plays better on the ball and moving into the midfield, and plays better on the right. Lovren has made the left part of it his own, is more steady, and so far this season and last with Klopp looks like a top defender.

Now, I think you combine the fact that he did something dumb and got sent home from a tour, he criticized the manager, along with his problems staying on the pitch and fitting the system, and it makes sense.

I think the loan move was as much a "go get right, prove you can stay on the pitch all season" and his not taking it along with criticizing the manager signed his fate. It certainly helps that Liverpool are playing well.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As for Liverpool in the window, I don't expect them to be too active.

I think they could stand to get a fullback in, but I don't see them breaking the bank. There's not a lot to buy, and I think they're not in the place to buy a guy knowing he's going to sit the bench for the next forever. Clyne's one of the best two or three in the EPL (I would argue he's probably been the best at times) and whoever they bring in wouldn't unseat him.

I wouldn't mind some cover for Mane, but what's that say for Ojo if you think he's a solution? What does that do for minutes for Origi and Ings out wide if they're going to play? I find it hard to justify spending 20-25+ right now on a winger unless the right deal is there. I wouldn't mind someone who's more of a Firmino type who can do the forward/winger/midfielder role instead if you ask me. There's a number of players in the Bundesliga who would fit that role. Think Gotze/Coutinho style.

I would expect a Grujic style buy or two. Maybe a buy of a young kid and a loan back. They're looking to get value, and I think Klopp enjoys the running a positive budget, which leads to point two.

I think you're likely to see a few outs. Definitely Sakho (though pending on price, they might wait till the summer or loan with option to buy), and I think there's a chance Sturridge moves at the end if someone will pay top dollar. Especially if he'll go to a non-traditional top 4 or to the continent.

I think the crazy part is Liverpool could have basically retooled a squad for a net gain in transfers.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Anyway, about Sakho, Lille (who has a new owner and Luis Campos as sporting director) wants Sakho, Depay, Sahin and Grenier.

I would not be happy if United sold Memphis. He has looked good in his short stints. Much better than Lingard or Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad