Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There's a good chance Weigl will leave in the next few years, but we don't need to sell him until someone puts a good offer on the table. 20M pounds is a terrible offer for Weigl.

20M is a terrible offer but he will get sold at some point and it will be far less than the 70 you want.

His contract runs through 2019. Can't remember the last time Dortmund sold a key player with more than one year left on his contract (Götze's release clause aside). They also let Lewandowski's run out and didn't budge on selling Reus until they renewed his contract with 6 months left on it. If another club wants them to consider selling him before 2018, they are going to have to offer inflated price. Same with Auba's contract.

With that said, they're apparently offering him a huge wage hike to extend his contract.

I'm not saying he's leaving soon but he will at some point. Dortmund are a sellers club.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You don't turn away from big money and win nothing in the end. Especially when it's a rival. You make them pay as much as you can (even if it's not much).
Dortmund didn't win their league that year, not the CL.
So keeping him amounted to 0 trophy, and a big money loss (in salary for the year+no transfer fee).

Can't see where the positive was really.

Helped Aubameyang (who wasn't seen as a Lewa replacement at the time) and Mkhitaryan settle in with less immediate pressure. If one of these deep-pocketed clubs wants Aubameyang they could make more than twice as much profit on him as they would have on Lewandowski.

20M is a terrible offer but he will get sold at some point and it will be far less than the 70 you want.

I'm not saying he's leaving soon but he will at some point. Dortmund are a sellers club.

Sure, but if he were sold early it will be for closer to 70M than 20M :)

Seller/feeder club rhetoric is pretty meaningless when different players have different priorities. We will see with Weigl.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure, but if he were sold early it will be for closer to 70M than 20M :)

Seller/feeder club rhetoric is pretty meaningless when different players have different priorities. We will see with Weigl.

He'll be sold for around 40 million I reckon. So, don't hold your breath mate.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You seem to know a lot about a transfer that's nowhere close to happening

Nobody, can predict the future but we can make predictions based on logic and past transfers. Hence, why I put "I" reckon. Maybe, Manu does something stupid again and signs a good player far greater than his worth.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So basically Chelsea would be in great shape if they upgraded 5-6/11 spots in their starting lineup :laugh: that's very true though.

I said or. Upgrade at CB, one other position, and if that position isn't CM, add a depth CM to replace Cesc. That is 2-3 upgrades, and they don't even have to be world-class upgrades, just players that fit a 3-4-3.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The only thing I'll add is that it really doesn't matter how much teams spend on players anymore. Especially English teams. You can call it stupid but it doesn't hurt them at all and there's no shortage of money there. If United shell out 70m+ for Weigl and he's as good as a lot of people here believe then he'll help the team and United really won't sweat the money they spent at all.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The only thing I'll add is that it really doesn't matter how much teams spend on players anymore. Especially English teams. You can call it stupid but it doesn't hurt them at all and there's no shortage of money there. If United shell out 70m+ for Weigl and he's as good as a lot of people here believe then he'll help the team and United really won't sweat the money they spent at all.

When you spend 200 million in a summer and sit 7th it matters. This narrative that we can spend whatever you want without heads rolling is tiresome. This is the real world you spend you expect results.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There is a bubble in English soccer, and eventually it will pop. The amount of spending won't be sustainable long-term for the non-traditional spenders. When the current tv deal expires, will it prove to be profitable for the tv stations and other areas? Will a similar or better deal be signed?

Eventually it will come crashing down, and it will probably coincide with the next economic depression.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
-Weigl is overrated on this forum.

-At some point clubs like United will lose sponsors if they don't deliver trophies. Of course I see them finding new sponsors, but that Chevy deal should be a red flag to any potential suitors.

Have to think Aleix Vidal leaves and Barca brings in a backup at RB. Darijo Srna's name was brought up a month or so ago

There was a rumor about Cancelo with I believe Vidal going the other way.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He is underrated by some, but that's not uncommon for German 6s on here.

I don't see anyone other than Dortmund fans talk about him most of the time. Even you don't overly hype him. Contrast that with some Dortmund players in the past... Saying he's already one of the best at his position at 21 and any club would have to overpay to get Dortmund to release him with over one year left on his contract isn't overrating him at all.

But yeah, les doesn't rate Gündogan either...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Weigl plays such an understated role.

He's not flashy, just so efficient. He makes so many plays that if you were trying to concentrate on only his play during a game, you would realize how good he is, but during the course of a regular game, he might not stand out as much to non-Dortmund fans as Dembele or Auba or Hummels when he was on the team. He does a really good job as a lone holding midfielder, and his passing is right up there with the best holding mids in the game. He's not the fastest or the most athletic, but he does a very good job with his positioning and is able to effectively do the defensive job that sometimes multiple players do because of it. I don't think anyone here overrates Dortmund players, we know the level of our players, but Weigl is really good, above the level of all of our players, and if those that don't watch him on a weekly basis think I'm overrating him, you can think that. I think he'll eventually be recognized by everyone as one of the best at his position in the world.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
There is a bubble in English soccer, and eventually it will pop. The amount of spending won't be sustainable long-term for the non-traditional spenders. When the current tv deal expires, will it prove to be profitable for the tv stations and other areas? Will a similar or better deal be signed?

Eventually it will come crashing down, and it will probably coincide with the next economic depression.

I can't see the EPL sagging. Maybe plateauing, but it's highly unlikely for it to lose popularity. The only thing that may slow down the EPL is the English FA, oddly enough. The influx of foreigners into the league has done wonders for it's popularity and entertainment/quality. If they continue to try and increase the x amount of homegrown players each team needs, then they'll be walking a tight rope.

I would say the other leagues might struggle, but the top leagues generally have crazy support domestically. Hard to see player values dropping either. The top teams are all flush with money and will bid any amount to get the top guy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't hype weigl too much for the same reason I don't hype kimmich and dahoud too much. They don't need it. They're already world class and most people already know it.

#HipsterCredentials

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sam Larsson (Heerenveen) should get to a bigger club/league.

He has been good for a long time but now he is dominating completely....5 goals and 3 assists in 8 games as a midfielder....and according to the site Whoscored he has the highest rating in the whole league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad