Winter storage plans

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Anyone else having to prep for winter storage yet? Just south of boston and I'm getting ready. I waxed the car the other day. I plan on changing the oil and adding fuel stabilizer. Considering a coolant and trans fluid change, but will probably do that in the spring.

Also rags under the wipers, rags in the tail pipes, moth balls surrounding the car, maybe a tarp on the garage floor on the car to add a vapor barrier between the concrete and the car, and a car cover.

I'm also waiting on a quote to have my garage door replaced since a window was knocked out of it, and it's an old wood door rotting away. My garage is detached so I'll need a good door to keep the temps as decent as possible.

Not sure what to do about the battery though. I might pull it and put a trickle charger on it every few weeks just to keep it from draining. I've never had to store a car for the winter though so I'm a little unsure on this part.

Also at some point over the winter I'll be replacing ball joints, and hopefully the steering column (converting to a tilt). Might have someone convert the front drums to boosted disc brakes as well. We shall see

What are your plans for your cars offseason?
Leave the batterie in it if you trickle charge , plus its good to start them and bring it up to temp.
Fill your tank as empty space creates condensation .ots better for carbs/ injectors to not have gas sit in them so running them helps a lot,gas is such shit these days gas is hard on alunimum.

Reactions: TaLoN

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
One more thing is the AC , a system often overlooked , its the one system in you car that likes to be used , The refrigerant keeps better when in use.even if you don't store it in the winter ,slap it on now and then.
Truth is cars dont like to sit ,someone mentioned jackstands and flat spots,the stands will also keep your springs fresh like summers eve,gravity doesn't take time off.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would think a half hour would be good enough. Just enough to get the thermostat open and cycle the coolant a bit. Everything gets oiled, moisture in exhaust goes away...

Battery maintenance can be done in alternative ways obviously
If you run it, you want to ensure a full heat cycle in the block. Since it will be idling for most of that time, typically 30 minutes isn't enough and you'll actually encourage internal condensation and thus condensation buildup in the oil as well. Hence the hour to guarantee the full heat cycle.
The top part is exactly the part that I'm unsure of. I've seen varied advice on the start/no start debate, and what to do with the battery. Running my 327 for an hour in a garage, I'm not sure how hot it might get. Don't wanna over heat the old gal
You shouldn't have to worry about over heating when it's mostly idling for an hour. If you do, then you have other issues to worry about. You need to ensure a full heat cycle though if you're going to run it. Only a partial warmup (as in going purely by the temp reading) is not going to be enough. That's just telling you internal fluid temp, not entire block temp. It takes time for that temp to soak through the block and prevent condensation.
One more thing is the AC , a system often overlooked , its the one system in you car that likes to be used , The refrigerant keeps better when in use.even if you don't store it in the winter ,slap it on now and then.
Truth is cars dont like to sit ,someone mentioned jackstands and flat spots,the stands will also keep your springs fresh like summers eve,gravity doesn't take time off.
You have that backwards with the stands. Storing a car on jack stands being a good idea is one of the biggest myths in history.

Suspension on vehicles where never intended to have the constant pull of gravity stretching it out over months on end. Suspension is designed to have a constant compression, and only occasional lack of compression going over bumps on the road provides.

That doesn't even get into the issue you can create with body sag caused by the stands themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

AC in the car what’s that? Lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Leave the batterie in it if you trickle charge , plus its good to start them and bring it up to temp.
Fill your tank as empty space creates condensation .ots better for carbs/ injectors to not have gas sit in them so running them helps a lot,gas is such shit these days gas is hard on alunimum.

Pretty sure this motor was built for leaded gas. I use 93 and i planned on adding stabil for winter. Anything else suggested for additives?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
No , what type of rig is it?

SBC 327, Edelbrock 1406, TH350

i haven’t had the chance to run the code on the block. It’s real worn out and there’s a good amount of shit over top of it. I tried sanding it a bit but there’s not much room with the alternator right there. I’ll get to it eventually

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
SBC 327, Edelbrock 1406, TH350

i haven’t had the chance to run the code on the block. It’s real worn out and there’s a good amount of shit over top of it. I tried sanding it a bit but there’s not much room with the alternator right there. I’ll get to it eventually
I have a old 65 impala with a 283ci , old chevs are the best.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I have a old 65 impala with a 283ci , old chevs are the best.

oh that’s bad ass. This Malibu originally had a 230 straight 6 with a 3 speed on the column. After my father sold it, it went through a little restomod and now it’s a 327 auto. My father says it doesn’t cruise like it did with the straight 6 but i like the grunt of the 327.

going from a mopar A body to a GM A body, one thing i appreciate is how much easier and cheaper the parts are to find!

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
oh that’s bad ass. This Malibu originally had a 230 straight 6 with a 3 speed on the column. After my father sold it, it went through a little restomod and now it’s a 327 auto. My father says it doesn’t cruise like it did with the straight 6 but i like the grunt of the 327.

going from a mopar A body to a GM A body, one thing i appreciate is how much easier and cheaper the parts are to find!
No doubt , there is not a single part i couldn't find new on the aftermarket, im sure your chev is no different, I've big block spitngs up front but coils cut out ,and new standard coil springs in the rear , both cut so the car is lowered , 15x8 steel rims from a 80s G body Olds front and back with poverty /dog dish caps...i hate bling. Ill post a pic tomorrow I dont know how to from my phone so ill email myself a pic so its on the PC.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
a>
9hn6Pd6
9hn6Pd6

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
looks nice! I don’t like flashy either. Still have the original wheels on mine. I might get a set of Cragars down the line when I can justify the expense. Tilt wheel kit needs to be first though
Can you see it? I cant on my phone ? Thought i did it wrong

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Can you see it? I cant on my phone ? Thought i did it wrong

saw one of em. Side profile shot. White and low. Now it’s not working any more for whatever reason.

whats the 283 turning? I think trans options on the Impala were all over the place. I still see them with Powerglides, Turbo 350s, 3 speed column shift, four on the floor. There’s a transmission for everybody!

i do wish my Malibu had a 4 speed. Maybe if/when the turbo 350 explodes I’ll go broke on a Muncie

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
looks nice! I don’t like flashy either. Still have the original wheels on mine. I might get a set of Cragars down the line when I can justify the expense. Tilt wheel kit needs to be first though
Oh and thanks , not one spec of rust , i welded both rear quarter on. Full panels , they like 7 feet long , suspension is new ball joints ,bushings , springs, shox, rebuilt motor / trans , 350 turbo,had a powerglide , its a nice rig , factory white. Im doing a drumb swap up front and power booster , then intake 4 barrel and headers , wake it up some , these old rigs are simple to wrench on which i love. If you lose motovation watch road kill garage .

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
saw one of em. Side profile shot. White and low. Now it’s not working any more for whatever reason.

whats the 283 turning? I think trans options on the Impala were all over the place. I still see them with Powerglides, Turbo 350s, 3 speed column shift, four on the floor. There’s a transmission for everybody!

i do wish my Malibu had a 4 speed. Maybe if/when the turbo 350 explodes I’ll go broke on a Muncie
Probably in honesty 150hp , its a dog , low and slow
They can be woke up with mods. But the 283 and 327 are bullet proof.
I like the cut big block springs , 0 body roll.
Careful removing them to do ball joints , get killed.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

It shows up in your post where you quoted me , in the blue part...im a chev geek .

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Oh and thanks , not one spec of rust , i welded both rear quarter on. Full panels , they like 7 feet long , suspension is new ball joints ,bushings , springs, shox, rebuilt motor / trans , 350 turbo,had a powerglide , its a nice rig , factory white. Im doing a drumb swap up front and power booster , then intake 4 barrel and headers , wake it up some , these old rigs are simple to wrench on which i love. If you lose motovation watch road kill garage .

similar story here. Rebuilt 327 mild cam, turbo 350 floor shift, beefed up suspension but the original 55 year old ball joints. A little surface rust on the trunk bed, nothing serious. Undercarriage is spotless. Filler just on the front fender where the original “CHEVELLE” emblem used to be and the entire car resprayed the original color. All the chrome trim replaced bumper to bumper.

i am toying with a drum swap up front with a booster, but I’m holding off for now. Car pulls hard left when i really get on the brakes, but i never drive it hard enough to need it. It’s more because my father right now has to drive it with quick sticks and stopping for him is more difficult. I’ll wait until i swap the column for a tilt to see if he can get his foot at least over the brake pedal.

one small nuisance, i have no reverse lights. There are bulbs, but they get no signal. I think whoever converted the 3 on the tree to the th350 floor shift just failed to move the wiring to the floor. I am hoping to find some clues when i replace the column for a tilt.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Going to warm up this week so probably give it another week before she goes to bed.

I have industrial styrofoam that i drive up on. even though the tires are runflats, and my garage does not get extremely cold, I still prefer being off the floor and the tires, you should pump up to 40psi+.

Car is clean, tank topped up and Stabil. I don't have any rodent issues but covering up exhausts would be a good idea. Car covers.

I use a trickle charger and do not start the car until the spring. I don't see the point or the purpose as the car will freeze up anyways, so keep it frozen and sleepy!

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Going to warm up this week so probably give it another week before she goes to bed.

I have industrial styrofoam that i drive up on. even though the tires are runflats, and my garage does not get extremely cold, I still prefer being off the floor and the tires, you should pump up to 40psi+.

Car is clean, tank topped up and Stabil. I don't have any rodent issues but covering up exhausts would be a good idea. Car covers.

I use a trickle charger and do not start the car until the spring. I don't see the point or the purpose as the car will freeze up anyways, so keep it frozen and sleepy!
I think most car guys would say, a few start ups keeps the seals and everything lubed up.

The rest of us just say "honey ill be in the garage"

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After a freakishly early October snowfall dropping 7.5 inches of snow...I was in a panic that I had no time to prep for storage... luckily things have warmed up again, the salt already rinsed away by rain since... I'm taking no chances. I dropped off the car for fresh oil and full exterior and interior detail yesterday. Picking it up later this morning, will put some Stabil into the tank, top it off with gas, bring it back home and put her to bed under the cover.

72 degrees yesterday, back into the 30's next week with rain and snow mix. No more chances being taken and potentially being caught out in the lurch.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I have 6 cars in various states of running/driving to immobile project that I "store" for winter. It's a frantic mess trying to get them situated before snow falls here in SE MI.

I have a 3 car garage, so a lot times the hard part is deciding which 3 out of 5 (the 6th is pickup truck that I'm fine with keeping in the elements) will get the garage. I have two that usually get priority because they are the nicest. The 3rd usually goes to something that I plan on working on over the winter (and then never get around to until Spring anyway).

Generally, I try to do a few things:

-If possible, drive the cars around enough to leave the gas tank close to empty
-Clean them of clutter or anything food related to keep mice out
-Put the hardtop back on the convertible, for the sake of saving the soft top and opening up the garage space it takes up
-My garage is detached and doesn't have heat and sometimes gets a little damp, so I set up some strategically placed box fans to keep air moving around a bit
-I have two trickle chargers that go on the cars in the garage, but I try to go out and start some of them up when I get a chance

Some other stuff that I've thought about experimenting with:

-Taping down plastic sheets on the garage floor to keep out some moisture
-Clear plastic covers for the cars in the garage to keep the dust off and protect them from when I inevitably use them as a temporary shelf
-Winter cover for the convertible, since it will be spending it's winter outside the garage and the seal at the top of the windshield and either soft or hard top is notorious for leaking

My hang up with covers is that they seem to trap moisture if not taken off the car pretty regularly.

I also don't recommend storing a car on jack stands. I bought a car that was stored that way and it's front shock mounts were trashed despite having few miles on them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Taping down plastic sheets on the garage floor to keep out some moisture
-Clear plastic covers for the cars in the garage to keep the dust off and protect them from when I inevitably use them as a temporary shelf
If moisture is really an issue, you'd be better off with a breathable cover. You don't want to trap that moisture under the cover with the car if you can help it. A breathable cover will allow that moisture out while still protecting the car like you want.

I just put the cover on the Shelby a few minutes ago. Won't see her again at least for a month when it's time to warm her up. :(

Reactions: ShelbyZ

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yesterday I got the Shelby ready for winter. Oil change, fresh detail, put stabil in the tank and topped it off, then when I got her back home, put the cover on. :(

Reactions: rynryn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad