Winter storage plans

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Anyone else having to prep for winter storage yet? Just south of boston and I'm getting ready. I waxed the car the other day. I plan on changing the oil and adding fuel stabilizer. Considering a coolant and trans fluid change, but will probably do that in the spring.

Also rags under the wipers, rags in the tail pipes, moth balls surrounding the car, maybe a tarp on the garage floor on the car to add a vapor barrier between the concrete and the car, and a car cover.

I'm also waiting on a quote to have my garage door replaced since a window was knocked out of it, and it's an old wood door rotting away. My garage is detached so I'll need a good door to keep the temps as decent as possible.

Not sure what to do about the battery though. I might pull it and put a trickle charger on it every few weeks just to keep it from draining. I've never had to store a car for the winter though so I'm a little unsure on this part.

Also at some point over the winter I'll be replacing ball joints, and hopefully the steering column (converting to a tilt). Might have someone convert the front drums to boosted disc brakes as well. We shall see

What are your plans for your cars offseason?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Bought snow tires. Will put them on the OEM rims and then swap them over when it actually starts dropping below freezing at night. Should be ready for the two to three weeks there's actually snow on the ground here.

Oh, and I guess I'll have to remember to go through an automated car wash once or twice during the winter to make sure all the salt's off the undercarriage.

member 157595

I only have one car at the moment (Subaru WRX) but I do put winter tires on it for the winter. All WRX's all come from Japan with performance tires and you're crazy if you attempt to run these in the winter in Southern New England, where you're always close to the rain/snow line and shit gets slippery in a flash.

With the right tires, I feel like I can get through almost anything. This car is an absolute animal in the winter.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I only have one car at the moment (Subaru WRX) but I do put winter tires on it for the winter. All WRX's all come from Japan with performance tires and you're crazy if you attempt to run these in the winter in Southern New England, where you're always close to the rain/snow line and shit gets slippery in a flash.

With the right tires, I feel like I can get through almost anything. This car is an absolute animal in the winter.

Tires make all the difference. The FWD Dodge Journey I have came with summer rubber and it was an absolute sled in the winter. Until that point I had only ever purchased cars that already had all seasons on them, so I thought nothing of it to look into the tires once I saw they were new. First winter, my ex came screaming into the house about how dangerous the car was and I thought she was nuts. How could a front drive car that heavy be that bad in the snow. Then I drove it next. Woof.

Obviously winter tires are ideal, but I've been mostly ok with all seasons as long as it's not a rear wheel drive application.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Tires make all the difference. The FWD Dodge Journey I have came with summer rubber and it was an absolute sled in the winter. Until that point I had only ever purchased cars that already had all seasons on them, so I thought nothing of it to look into the tires once I saw they were new. First winter, my ex came screaming into the house about how dangerous the car was and I thought she was nuts. How could a front drive car that heavy be that bad in the snow. Then I drove it next. Woof.

Obviously winter tires are ideal, but I've been mostly ok with all seasons as long as it's not a rear wheel drive application.
Well i guess im f***ed

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I will be getting the GT500 detailed, get the oil changed, top of the gas tank, put in some Stabil...

Then into the garage, leave it in neutral with a wood block at the rear tires to ensure it doesn't roll... then put the cover on it.

Then once a month over the winter, I will warm it up, running it for an hour to get a full heat cycle in the engine to keep the seals from drying out, charge up the battery, prevent condensation internally. Give it some heavy revs before shutting it down to ensure the moisture is blown out the tailpipe before shutting it back down for another month.

Those monthly sessions are also a good therapy for myself so I don't get too much withdrawal during the winter, letting me see what I have to look forward to come spring. ;)

If I wasn't able to find my Audi S4, the WRX STi was going to be my next choice. Winter performance for both was high on the list for why... both are beasts in the snow!

I have another set of solid 5 spoke rims in the garage with winter tires mounted on them... wil get them swapped on soon, the Audi is a street legal snowmobile with snow tires on!

Last edited:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I will be getting the GT500 detailed, get the oil changed, top of the gas tank, put in some Stabil...

Then into the garage, leave it in neutral with a wood block at the rear tires to ensure it doesn't roll... then put the cover on it.

Then once a month over the winter, I will warm it up, running it for an hour to get a full heat cycle in the engine to keep the seals from drying out, charge up the battery, prevent condensation internally. Give it some heavy revs before shutting it down to ensure the moisture is blown out the tailpipe before shutting it back down for another month.

Those monthly sessions are also a good therapy for myself so I don't get too much withdrawal during the winter, letting me see what I have to look forward to come spring. ;)

If I wasn't able to find my Audi S4, the WRX STi was going to be my next choice. Winter performance for both was high on the list for why... both are beasts in the snow!

I have another set of solid 5 spoke rims in the garage with winter tires mounted on them... wil get them swapped on soon, the Audi is a street legal snowmobile with snow tires on!
Do you have jack stands to leave it on? That or take it for a drive during your monthly routine to prevent flat spots on the tires

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
For others not storing but getting ready for winter, dont forget to top up with winter washer fluid (still applies if storing) and check your coolant! And by check I mean test it with a tester strip. It will show the ph level which should be between 7 and 11, the boiling point and freezing point.

I learned the hard way years ago in a BMW318i and the coolant froze. Cost me a new rad and motor :(

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Do you have jack stands to leave it on? That or take it for a drive during your monthly routine to prevent flat spots on the tires
Jack stands are the last thing you want to use during storage. Destroys your suspension which is not designed to have that downward pressure for extended periods. They are designed to mostly have a level of compression from the car's weight.

Flat spots are a complete non-issue on modern tires. They literally work themselves out within a mile or two of driving coming out of storage. My car never moves an inch while in storage, have never had flat spot issues from it.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Jack stands are the last thing you want to use during storage. Destroys your suspension which is not designed to have that downward pressure for extended periods. They are designed to mostly have a level of compression from the car's weight.

Flat spots are a complete non-issue on modern tires. They literally work themselves out within a mile or two of driving coming out of storage. My car never moves an inch while in storage, have never had flat spot issues from it.
Good to know. I've never had to store a vehicle myself, but I do know that was an issue in the past.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Good to know. I've never had to store a vehicle myself, but I do know that was an issue in the past.
Older tires had completely different design than modern tires. Still was not advisable to store on jack stands... that was a costly longterm issue to solve a not nearly as costly short term issue.

A better solution as you mentioned is to get the wheels to rotate on occasion or to park it on curved blocks designed to prevent flat spots.

Total non-issue though today. The better tire construction completely prevents flat spots of that nature anymore. You drive it a couple miles, the tires warm up, the flat spots disappear in a blink.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Older tires had completely different design than modern tires. Still was not advisable to store on jack stands... that was a costly longterm issue to solve a not nearly as costly short term issue.

A better solution as you mentioned is to get the wheels to rotate on occasion or to park it on curved blocks designed to prevent flat spots.

Total non-issue though today. The better tire construction completely prevents flat spots of that nature anymore. You drive it a couple miles, the tires warm up, the flat spots disappear in a blink.
So we just get it up to 88 and pray for the best lol

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd be 2. The good old days with carbs and beaver wagons, Montegos and ruff ruff ruff
I meant, be careful when you hit 88mph, you might time travel to 1985...

PnMvB8K.gif

Reactions: OmniCube

member 157595

I personally wouldn't touch all-seasons in the winter in a RWD vehicle, but the only RWD vehicles I've ever owned were pickups (and all had optional 4WD options so it doesn't really count.)

Off-topic but the STI is a bit different from the base model. The shifter has a shorter action, the clutch is less soft, the spoiler in the back looks stupid as hell, about 40 more HP...but that car is by far the most fun I've ever had while driving. That car handles incredibly and gives you an intimate connection to the road in a way today's heavily refined vehicles often don't.

All WRX's f***ing rip in the winter if they have the right tires. I love driving a manual in the winter too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
the spoiler in the back looks stupid as hell
That became optional in 2016, when I was considering it. I agree it was an ugly POS before that.

As for driving manual... it's the only way to drive in any season! I haven't owned an auto-trans since '97!

Last edited:

member 157595

That became optional in 2016, when I was considering it. I agree it was an ugly POS before that.

As for driving manual... it's the only way to drive in any season! I haven't owned an auto-trans since '97!

My dad had a manual car when I was growing up, but I was too young to learn before he got rid of it. I didn't drive a manual car until January 2020 and I'm almost 40 years old. I'm not particularly good at it but every time I get into that car I get excited. It was the first time I merged onto I-495, got stuck behind a slow car, downshifted into 3rd (was in 4th at the time) and cranked it the moment I got a window in front of a tractor trailer. I knew, at that point, I was sold...this is the way driving should be. For me, it wasn't necessarily about the speed as it was the driving experience. It's disappearing and it's sad. My wife's car has a CVT automatic and while it's amazing on gas I cannot stand the lack of driver interaction.

When my lease expires I'll consider a WRX STI if I can find one without the spoiler; that is, if my wife doesn't kill me for doing so. I can always make the argument that it's great in the winter and can fit a car seat! :laugh:

Reactions: Baby Punisher

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

The top part is exactly the part that I'm unsure of. I've seen varied advice on the start/no start debate, and what to do with the battery. Running my 327 for an hour in a garage, I'm not sure how hot it might get. Don't wanna over heat the old gal

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The top part is exactly the part that I'm unsure of. I've seen varied advice on the start/no start debate, and what to do with the battery. Running my 327 for an hour in a garage, I'm not sure how hot it might get. Don't wanna over heat the old gal
I would think a half hour would be good enough. Just enough to get the thermostat open and cycle the coolant a bit. Everything gets oiled, moisture in exhaust goes away...

Battery maintenance can be done in alternative ways obviously

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I would think a half hour would be good enough. Just enough to get the thermostat open and cycle the coolant a bit. Everything gets oiled, moisture in exhaust goes away...

Battery maintenance can be done in alternative ways obviously

I don't have a trickle charger. I guess starting it and letting it get up to temp, give it some throttle and then powering down would suffice. Just something to exercise everything and blow out any condensation. I do plan on having a full tank of 93 with stabil though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->